PDA

View Full Version : MUNG BEANS... RAW or COOKed.. Worth it or Not

viperc8
02-05-2008, 08:25 AM
So i take in chicken everyday and i was wondering if i can change up the protein intake a little with different sources so i was looking into lentils and i wanted to see which one had the highest protein percentage. I came up with MUNG beans.. They are the small little tiny green dry things you can find at a store. I was researching them online and they have a good amount of protein in the dry raw state but if you cook them, they lose a ton of protein content.. I wouldnt even mind just swallowing a bunch of them with water to retain the protein content.. Is this a good idea or not?? Any other ideas for protein?? thanks alot

getfit
02-05-2008, 08:51 AM
sounds pretty good.How about egg whites? tuna? cottage cheese?

bigtooth
02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I think the only protein from plants that contains all the properties (amino acids maybe, someone correct me) that the human body needs to build muscle is soy. You can combine plant based proteins to get all of them but I understand soy is the only plant that contains everything needed. I'm not saying those beans arent really really healthy, just if you are looking for another source of protein you might want to look into combining a few different kinds.

As for swallowing them raw, sounds kinda rugged to me!

kcurrin
02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Nuts, beans, seeds, and pasta are all good sources.

manowar669
02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Most beans are toxic (varying degrees) if eaten raw. I'm guessing the reason the beans "lose" nutrition is that they absorb water during cooking and X amount of beans is less beans per unit of weight. Nuts and seeds are good.

tigo
02-06-2008, 01:21 AM
what do you mean cook them?

you mean like boil them?

fry? bake?

manowar669
02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
what do you mean cook them?

you mean like boil them?

fry? bake?

Anything other than dry will add water and make the nutrients seem lessened, just because the beans are heavier since they absorbed water. Canned beans are pre-cooked.

viperc8
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I was looking at this site where i found the great difference between the cooked and the raw.. Ive tried eating them raw.. not that bad.. i would do it..
http://www.organic-planet.com/products/f_Mung_Beans.html

Spartan936
02-06-2008, 12:11 PM
cook them and eat them with a more complete protein. I eat lentils everyday. I prefer them because they're easy to cook, they taste great, and they have a significant amount of protein. All legumes are definitely good for you. Never heard of these kinds of beans though. Never even seen them in the store.