PDA

View Full Version : Mixed grip deadlifts feel awkward

brihead301
02-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Yesterday was the first time I tried mixed grip deadlifts. I tried them for my last set, which was also my heaviest set. It was the first time I ever did 295 x 5 (not much I know). I did 285 x 5 last week with a both hands overhand grip, and I felt my grip starting to slip. That's why I decided to switch to mixed grip yesterday. I felt harderto do them with mixed grip. Does anyone else think that mixed grip deads feel awkward? Also, I used my right hand (dominant hand), as the hand that had the palm rotated away from me.

RickTheDestroyer
02-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Rotate whichever hand feels more natural. It'll take a couple sessions, but you'll get used to it.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
when I switched over it felt as if my torso was rotating slightly during the lift. It only took about 2 sessions to get over it.
Keep the mixed grip or give a hook grip a try if you have the hands for it.

Guido
02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
You'll get used to it after a few times. Keep the mixed grip because you will need it as you get to really heavy weights.

brihead301
02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Alright, I'll stick with it until I get used to it. I wasn't sure if other people had the same problem when they started using mixed grip. Thanks.

Lones Green
02-05-2008, 10:34 AM
you'll get used to mixed grip with time, it's the easiest way to pull big numbers....unless you're a freak like Brad Gillingham. 859 double overhand in single ply gear.

brihead301
02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
For some reason, I thought that using mixed grip was going to make it considerably easier, but I still struggled to get 295 x 5 yesterday. Maybe once I get used to the grip, it will allow me to work with heavier weights a bit easier.

deeder
02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
you'll get used to mixed grip with time, it's the easiest way to pull big numbers....unless you're a freak like Brad Gillingham. 859 double overhand in single ply gear.

That'd be a hook grip I'm sure.

For some reason, I thought that using mixed grip was going to make it considerably easier, but I still struggled to get 295 x 5 yesterday. Maybe once I get used to the grip, it will allow me to work with heavier weights a bit easier.

The mixed grip will make your grip a lot stronger but it changes the mechanics of your lift a bit. You'll get used to it in no time.

WillKuenzel
02-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Generally if you're right handed, you'll use a left hand under grip. Most often, the under grip is the stronger grip so you'll use that for your weaker hand and use the weaker grip for your stronger hand. If that makes any sense.

I use a left hand over/hook grip and a right hand under grip. This way my left hand(my weaker one) gets the stronger grip (hook grip) and my stronger hand will get the weaker of the grips I'm using. Plus this way only one thumb hurts and not both.

brihead301
02-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Ya I was using a right under, left over. I'm right handed. That way felt more natural then the other way.

Lones Green
02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
That'd be a hook grip I'm sure.

The mixed grip will make your grip a lot stronger but it changes the mechanics of your lift a bit. You'll get used to it in no time.

check it out:

http://ldzine.com/ipfmastersphotos/gallery/brad_deadlift2.jpg

deeder
02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
check it out:

http://ldzine.com/ipfmastersphotos/gallery/brad_deadlift2.jpg

You can see on his right hand that the index and middle fingers are further from the bar than his other fingers.. So either he has some thick ass fingers or he's using a hook grip.

WillKuenzel
02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Agreed. That's a hook grip.

Keith
02-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Generally if you're right handed, you'll use a left hand under grip. Most often, the under grip is the stronger grip so you'll use that for your weaker hand and use the weaker grip for your stronger hand. If that makes any sense.

I use a left hand over/hook grip and a right hand under grip. This way my left hand(my weaker one) gets the stronger grip (hook grip) and my stronger hand will get the weaker of the grips I'm using. Plus this way only one thumb hurts and not both.

Never really thought about that but it makes sense... which makes me wonder why I'm the opposite?

I'm a lefty and I know my left has a stronger grip yet it feels much more natural and comfortable to pull with left under and right over...

no_excuses
02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Never really thought about that but it makes sense... which makes me wonder why I'm the opposite?

I'm a lefty and I know my left has a stronger grip yet it feels much more natural and comfortable to pull with left under and right over...

I'm the same as well...lefty with left undergrip. I switch it every set but right undergrip just feels awkward.

WillKuenzel
02-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Honestly, I'm the say way, well, opposite, but same. I'm right handed and was using a right under, left over. That's why I found it good to switch to the hook grip with my over hand, it would give my weaker hand (supposedely) the stronger grip.

Keith
02-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I'm the say way, well, opposite, but same. I'm right handed and was using a right under, left over. That's why I found it good to switch to the hook grip with my over hand, it would give my weaker hand (supposedely) the stronger grip.

I've never tried using a hook grip but may consider it. I do, however, switch hands from which one's under and over between every set. It just feels much more comfortable to pull with my left under and I'm a lefty.

deeder
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I've never tried using a hook grip but may consider it. I do, however, switch hands from which one's under and over between every set. It just feels much more comfortable to pull with my left under and I'm a lefty.

IMO, the only reason to use a hook grip is if you're an oly lifter. Hook grip will tear your thumbs up and for most people it will be weaker than a mixed grip.

The advocates for a mixed grip are generally people who claim that pulling double over hand eliminates the little twist you end up doing with a mixed grip. Supposedly this will add a couple of pounds to your pull. Is it significant? Not if you can't hold on to the bar with a hook grip.

In conclusion, unless your name is Fuzzy or you aspire to be him: Don't use a hook grip.

Keith
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
IMO, the only reason to use a hook grip is if you're an oly lifter. Hook grip will tear your thumbs up and for most people it will be weaker than a mixed grip.

The advocates for a mixed grip are generally people who claim that pulling double over hand eliminates the little twist you end up doing with a mixed grip. Supposedly this will add a couple of pounds to your pull. Is it significant? Not if you can't hold on to the bar with a hook grip.

In conclusion, unless your name is Fuzzy or you aspire to be him: Don't use a hook grip.

I appreciate the detailed explanation. :thumbup:

90kg_pwrlftr
02-05-2008, 02:25 PM

Dont worry, Im a righty and I pull left under and right over:) So in the great cosmic equation of handidness we cancel each other out.

UHCougar05
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
You can see on his right hand that the index and middle fingers are further from the bar than his other fingers.. So either he has some thick ass fingers or he's using a hook grip.He uses a hook grip. Brad Gillingham doesn't have hands, he has paws.

Runty
02-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I thought the hook grip was supposed to be the strongest way to grip the bar. It does rough your thumbs up though, I've been trying it a bit lately and small calluses are starting to form. Deeder, do you mean they tear up the skin? Or will they eventually start messing with the ligaments in your thumbs.

deeder
02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
I thought the hook grip was supposed to be the strongest way to grip the bar. It does rough your thumbs up though, I've been trying it a bit lately and small calluses are starting to form. Deeder, do you mean they tear up the skin? Or will they eventually start messing with the ligaments in your thumbs.

I've seen people bleed as their thumb nails almost gets ripped out!

If you can do it and can deal with the pain, then yes, hook grip is a pretty good option. But I've seen quite a few easy deadlifts missed because the hook grip slipped.

Kastro
02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
I've seen lots of cats in the gym with uneven traps from never alternating which hand was palm-up when using a mixed grip. But maybe you care nothing for asthetics.. ;)

Keith
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I've seen lots of cats in the gym with uneven traps from never alternating which hand was palm-up when using a mixed grip. But maybe you care nothing for asthetics.. ;)

Really? You've seen noticeably uneven traps?

BrettC
02-05-2008, 06:55 PM
I pull mixed grip now, I noticed a HUGE difference when i switched mainly because i couldn't hold onto the bar conventionally. I only pull mixed now, I might try sumo soon though see what it does for me

Kastro
02-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Really? You've seen noticeably uneven traps?

Yep. Maybe I shouldn't have claimed "lots", mostly because most people don't deadlift in the first place, but it's not all that uncommon.

deeder
02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I never alternate and my traps are the same size. My right forearm is a little bigger though.

Indifference
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
im righty and pull left-over, right-under. feels good. keep pulling mixed. with chalk it wont fail you.

SGT ROCK
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
For MOST lifters, the strong hand will be the overhand in the over under. For the hook grip, ANYONE can use it as long as your willing to put the work in and put up with some pain. The hook grip is SAFER AND MORE EFFICIENT than the over under, and that is FACT. Less distance equals more power, and more weight lifted, pure and simple. There are always execptions to the rule but especially for a beginner, using the hook is a great thing to try! I have used it with success.

Semper Fi

Kastro
02-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I never alternate and my traps are the same size. My right forearm is a little bigger though.

You're already a pretty big dude though. ;)

I've only seen it on guys who didn't have much of a solid foundation in the first place. And yeah, a buddy of mine claimed his forearm was bigger and a lot more vascular than the other.

Guido
02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
You're already a pretty big dude though. ;)

I've only seen it on guys who didn't have much of a solid foundation in the first place. And yeah, a buddy of mine claimed his forearm was bigger and a lot more vascular than the other.Yep, that's the only drawback I can tell.

And BTW, I'm a righty and pull right under, left over. The other way feels wrong. I've never missed a lift because of grip slippage, either.

Killa Kurt
02-06-2008, 02:07 PM

:withstupi: