PDA

View Full Version : bit the bullet and got some chains

smokinHawk
02-05-2008, 08:49 AM
well 105 dollars later and now 2 weeks to wait i should have some nice 3/4" 55lb chains :evillaugh:
looked high and low and cheapest place i could find was ironwoodys.
wish i could have found some used ones cheaper.

chris mason
02-05-2008, 09:11 AM
That is cool! I have to get some one of these days.

Ben Moore
02-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Next time look at rigging supply stores in your area. We can get 1/2" for 2.50/foot here in KC and avoid shipping.

Detard
02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
well 105 dollars later and now 2 weeks to wait i should have some nice 3/4" 55lb chains :evillaugh:
looked high and low and cheapest place i could find was ironwoodys.
wish i could have found some used ones cheaper.

I drove around near the lake one afternoon and found 30lbs worth of chains for free. I also went and checked at a couple auto shops and got a nice bucket full of chains probly weighs about 40lbs. So if your looking to get even more, just check out some local places like auto shops, shipping yards, train yards, back of old warehouses...etc.

Lones Green
02-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I drove around near the lake one afternoon and found 30lbs worth of chains for free. I also went and checked at a couple auto shops and got a nice bucket full of chains probly weighs about 40lbs. So if your looking to get even more, just check out some local places like auto shops, shipping yards, train yards, back of old warehouses...etc.

this is the best thing to do. i love finding stuff like that. i found wood to make my boards out of on the side of the road, and picked up an empty keg from behind a gas station. it will be a great day when i stumble upon some chains.

smokinHawk
02-05-2008, 10:53 AM

checked the auto places, nothing, and i dont have any docks or lakes nearby
looked high and low didnt find anything.

Ben Moore
02-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm in Kansas City, so we don't have any docks or lakes nearby either:)

Rigging supply stores usually cater to the trucking or tree service industries. If you can't find them for free like the others said above, this would be the next best place to check.