PDA

View Full Version : rack pulls

manofsteel99
02-05-2008, 04:05 PM
i kno that these are for breaking peaks on deadlift, but how weel do they actually work? need some details

Runty
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Set the pins in the squat cage so the bar is just above your knees. It's basically the top half of the deadlift. They work.

manofsteel99
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
im guessing that it is more for your back than anything then right?

arnoldsclone
02-05-2008, 04:14 PM
im guessing that it is more for your back than anything then right?

you got it bud, they really hammer your back realy well!!!!!!!!!!!!

manofsteel99
02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
thanks for the help

jtteg_x
02-06-2008, 02:04 AM
they work just as well as boards on the bench.

Lones Green
02-06-2008, 03:49 AM
they do work. they also teach you how to strain. deadlifts with bands are superior though, with rack pulls your form is always going to be a little different. with bands you can keep it the same and still get lockout work.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-06-2008, 06:16 AM
I like rack pulls but have trouble getting carry over from them to full pull. Its probably because I rack pull conventional but FP sumo. Im going to get bands/chains for my next training cycle.

Rack pulls work! Do them!

Travis Bell
02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
I think alot of people have that problem because of exactly why you said, different forms.

Plus I find that when I do rack pulls, I get my legs underneath the bar sooner that I would otherwise. Wonder what a guy like andy bolton pulls off the racks

Ben Moore
02-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah for me it is almost 2 different lifts.

Invain
02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I think alot of people have that problem because of exactly why you said, different forms.

Plus I find that when I do rack pulls, I get my legs underneath the bar sooner that I would otherwise. Wonder what a guy like andy bolton pulls off the racks

Ha, I've wondered that too.

I love rack pulls for working my grip more than anything else. That, and letting my body get used to the strain of more weight. Heavy rack pulls have definitely helped me a little. Something like 450 feels light compared to holding 600 pounds.

jtteg_x
02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
for those who pull sumo, try finding some boards or durable platform and place them under the weight like shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VXZ35alzc

i used these step boards that are supposely used for dance classes at my commerical gym.

BFGUITAR
02-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I pull sumo so when I deadlift I hit my legs harder compared to conventional. So when I hit rackpulls I do them conventional to help balance it all.

Generally, rack pulls help the top part of the lift and the lockout. If you have trouble locking out but can lift the weight off the ground easy than rackpulls can help. Because of my sumo stance, my back gets slightly more neglected.

Working each part of the lift separately can help overcome barriers.

O and its good for grip lol.

SGT ROCK
02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Rack pulls are best done below the knees. This will HELP keep you in a more "realistic" pulling position, although with rack pulls you have to have alot of discipline to NOT edge yourself way under the bar, which will not happen in an actual max attempt. Sumo and conventional rack pulls are both good, but for back development, conventional is far superior. Refrain from using straps on this movement if possible.

Semper Fi

Guido
02-06-2008, 01:41 PM
^ That man knows what he is talking about.