PDA

View Full Version : Eating often detrimental to weight gain?

Qea
03-15-2002, 01:34 AM
For those lean people with a high metabolic rate who are trying to put on mass, here's a thought that ran through my head:

If taking in more meals throughout the day results in a constantly increased metabolic rate, isn't that detrimental to weight gain?

Cuz if higher metabolism = more cals burned at rest, wouldn't we want a lowered metabolic rate than whats already running at a high pace already?

It's a catch 22 to me, since we need a constant influx of nutrients too.

=w=
03-15-2002, 07:32 AM
# of meals does not have that large of an impact on metabolism, however it is much easier for your body to digest (and utilize) the calories ingested if they are spaced out.

MRJ
03-15-2002, 12:45 PM
In my experience it does have an effect . . .

I had a similar concern and did a self experiment.

Prior to the trial period I was eating 8 or 9 full meals p/day to the tune of 4,200 calories.

I condensed this down to 3,800 calories p/day via 6 meals using the same macro breakdown. (cut carbs. to decrease the calories)

Tried this experiment for 6 weeks and the only thing that changed thus far has been the amount of money I have in my wallet. (it grew)

Dimensions, Weight, Strength all continue to increase incrementally as would be expected.

I did not start a supplement regiment (Whey is the only supplement used before and after) in light of the decrease in calories and/or meal frequency.

ericg
03-15-2002, 12:52 PM
More frequent meals would probably have a greater effect with someone who only eats 3 meals a day and then switches to 6+. I think your body will adapt to the 6 meals after a while.