PDA

View Full Version : new lifters:

Lones Green
02-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I was recently talking to a friend about powerlifting. The conversation we had inspired me to write a few words. I write this because I wish I had someone to tell me these things about the world of weightlifting when i first started. I don't write this because I think i'm qualified some kind of professional, I write soely because I am inspired to. I started lifting weights around the age of 16, when I signed up for a weightlifting class in high school. At 16, i had a bodyweight of 230 lbs (6'2), a bench press of 95 lbs, and didn't train squat or deadlift. Obviously I was no Andy Bolton, nor did i know who he was. I loved lifting weights. Honestly I was never the bodybuilding type. I just liked lifting as a way to channel my energy, and thought of it as a positive way to channel my energy. At one point, i was lifting 2-3 times a day. I did this because I wanted to (and i had just got my liscense...woo freedom!). I felt like i was at a standstill in my lifting. Bench press and bicep curls 3 times a day wasn't cutting it anymore. I felt the need to set some goals. I looked at some of the top bodybuilders. I saw short, stocky guys, with small waists and small joints. I looked at myself and saw a tall, long jointed teenager with a naturally big gut. I was dommed in that field from day 1! I surfed the web looking for answers. (I think this is where most kids make their first mistake, I just got lucky.) I stumbled upon WBB. I posted my routine, and the responses I recieved embarassed me. Instead of saying f*** them, I looked into what members told me. They were right. I shouldn't do curls 3 times a day (or 3 times a month for that matter). I managed to get a decent routine, and a decent diet. I made quite good progress. I reached the goals i set for myself (315 BP, 300 lb BW, 500 squat) and it made me feel great. I plan to keep this mindset until I am 6 feet under. I am entering my first powerlifting meet in a couple weeks, and i've just found a group of guys to lift with (3 1/2 hours away, but it's worth it). The point I am trying to make to beginners saying they've been working their asses off for 4 months:

Set some goals for yourself. Get in the gym and lift. Stick to what works, compound movements and food. Seek the advice of people stronger than you. HAVE FUN.

give me a few spare minutes and a keyboard and this is what happens. thanks for reading guys!

Stumprrp
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
great write up man! sweet progress!!!!

Ben Moore
02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Good advice man!

Lones Green
02-07-2008, 03:40 AM
thanks dudes!