PDA

View Full Version : Question about spotting

BrettC
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Do you guy's ever use a spotter when you do things like cleans or deadlifts?

Chubrock
02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
No..

jed
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
There's no way a spotter could do you any good, especially on cleans. If you're talking about a spotter to say if your lift is legit or not, then that's different, but I assume you're talking about a spotter for safety?

BrettC
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing, yet I was watching videos today people posted and a guy stands behind them with his hands out incase they fall backwards? Good way to get yourself hurt too if your spotting you wont stop that weight...

And if we wana deadlift/clean at school we have to have someone doing that to us...

Bako Lifter
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I've seen people fall backwards during a clean.

jed
02-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I've seen people fall backwards during a clean.

Contributive post, Bako. :)

I would personally tell your school teacher to F off or say 'okay then, show me how to spot someone doing those lifts'

Bako Lifter
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
No really, I've seen people fall backwards during a clean. It's really funny because they crash into all of the equipment behind them.

Scooter
02-06-2008, 08:54 PM
No really, I've seen people fall backwards during a clean. It's really funny because they crash into all of the equipment behind them.

There's a few on youtube if you search "weightlifting accident"

Mike G
02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
We were taught to spot on a deadlift in high school. One hand on the chest, one on the lower back, stand to side. Push up on the chest and forward on the lower back to push the hips through. It sucked and screwed up your form more than anything else. Spotting a failed clean would be awesome. What would you actually do? Push them forward?

jed
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Heh, push the failed clean person back into the wall or forward so they can fall on their face or hit their head instead of run in to you :P