PDA

View Full Version : Pain in soleus area when squatting

CleverName
02-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Alright, this has been going for a while now and it's finally really starting to get to me. So I decided to post about it.

Whenever I squat with any weight on my back it hurts my soleus (http://www.exrx.net/Graphics/SoleusLateral.gif) area. Not sure if it's exactly the soleus, but that's the general area. I don't remember when it first started, but it's getting really annoying.

My squat form is okay (at least I think), so I don't THINK that's the problem, it could be though. I've recorded a video of how I squat, but there's no weight, but you can get an idea anyway. My toes are sort of pointed out, stance is pretty much hip width.

v1xe_UXRLe4

I foam roll it quite often but it doesn't help that much. Also stretch it as best I can.

What do you think it is that causes this pain? It's very apparent when I'm in the squat position from catching a clean. Sometimes I can avoid most of it by changing my foot position a little, but it doesn't help that much. Any ideas? :confused: :drooling:

Guido
02-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Try doing some narrower stance squats for a while and see if that helps.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-07-2008, 08:37 AM
try stretching your foot on a 45degree incline, it really helped me with a similar pain.

WillKuenzel
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
When does it hurt? At what point does the pain stop? Is there a time when you stop that you feel relief?

Try cutting your squat just an inch high of where you were going with it. You could be squatting deep enough and pinching a nerve in the calves, causing the pain you're feeling. There could be some impingement or when you hit depth with some weight on your back you might be giving yourself a charlie horse.

Like 90kg said above, try stretching the calves before and after squatting.

CleverName
02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
It hurts during the pushing portion of the lift, the second I start going back up. I'll say it stops hurting when I'm above parallel, somewhere around that. :(

I guess I could squat a bit less deep, even though I'd hate to. With a narrower stance though I get another problem, which is a bone or something popping on the side of my knee when I go below parallel. :/

Thanks though, will try stretching more.

WillKuenzel
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
What kind of shoes do you wear? Have you tried squatting barefooted?

Travis Bell
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
do you do any calf strengthing exercises?

it could be that you pulled it maybe? and its just not being given a chance to heal. Try putting some heat on it before you go in. Form looks pretty good, might be your leg just needs a break to heal up a bit

CleverName
02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I wear Puma Roma shoes, they're comfortable for squatting, but I do want Olympic shoes real bad. I can't squat barefoot at my stupid gym. The only calf exercise I do is standing calf raises.

My only guess is that when I was working a job with kegs that weigh 150+ pounds I had to sometimes slide them across the floor with the side of my legs (the soleus part), and I guess that's where the pain first started, but I don't do that job anymore. Will try putting Icy Hot on the area before and after.

CleverName
02-09-2008, 01:48 PM
An update for anyone who cares (which is nobody basically :D).

Squatted today, and I realized that when I squatted down I was putting a lot of pressure from my hamstrings right onto my calves, almost pushing off of them. I think that's what was causing the majority of the pain. I deep squatted a little without doing that and avoided almost all the pain. I think I just need to be careful not to press my hams against the calves too hard.

Anyway, I parallel squatted 275lbs 3x4 with no problem at all, no pain, nothing! Yay! :D

Cleans still hurt a bit, but I know what needs to be done now.

joelhall
02-10-2008, 04:25 AM
it is a sharp shooting pain going down the side for example between the soleus and the shin bone. it could be sciatica. pay attention to your lower back strength.

joelhall
02-10-2008, 07:56 AM
then again it could just be youre putting too much stress on the soleus in a stretched position (when your ankle is extended) as you go really deep. check that your stance is perfectly level and youre not putting more strain on one leg than the other.

be careful with stretching a muscle which is painful, it can often make any accumulated microtrauma worse.

Fuzzy
02-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Try doing some narrower stance squats for a while and see if that helps.

Exactly.

AND

if the foam rolling doesnt work find an ART therapist.