PDA

View Full Version : ground beef question

mister manager
02-07-2008, 07:49 AM
why does my extra lean ground beef have 0.4g of trans fat per 100g?
Is this common with all ground beef? I even searched different brands but no they all had trans fat. I was under the assumption that trans fats only came from hydrogenated sources. Whos hydrogenating my beef!?!?!?

Invain
02-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Not sure about the beef, but natural cow's milk has trace amounts of trans fats. Not a big deal really.

brihead301
02-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Whos hydrogenating my beef!?!?!?

That sounds funny in some sort of weird sexual way....

Max Thunder
02-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Trans doesn't mean "transformed" or anything like that, it's just a natural spatial conformation of fats (trans versus cis). Natural trans fats occur in dairy products and in meats, and rather than being harmful, they might be beneficial actually.

Here's a quote from wikipedia:

CLA, as well as some trans isomers of oleic acid, is produced by microorganisms in the rumen of ruminants. Non-ruminants, such as humans, are able to produce some isomers of CLA from some trans isomers of oleic acid, such as vaccenic acid, which is converted to CLA by delta-9-desaturase

Although the article says that CLA is a trans-fat that is not labelled as such, the trans forms of oleic acid can be converted to CLA. CLA is usually said to have many benefits.

Anyway these trans fats occur naturally and there's no reason to worry about that.