PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifters?

Adam
01-17-2001, 07:25 PM
Just wanted to know if there are any powerlifters in here. If you are can you post what style you use(ie. Westside).
Right now im doing the canadian non-linear autoregulating progressive resistance training program.CNAPRT for short.Here is the link to my routine if you want to see http://www.ironmag.com/ct_canadian_naprt.html Its my first full program so im hoping it will work good.Post any info about yourself like stats , years training if you want. Thanks:)

pumpuup
01-20-2001, 12:24 PM
I've looked at that routine and plan on trying it out myself. I recently ordered the benchpress video's form Westside. Still waiting for them but want to try Westside out before doing this program.

Chris Rodgers
02-13-2001, 10:24 PM
Bump! Hows the routine going?

I'll be doing my current routine until May and then I will switch to a powerlifting workout. I am leaning towards Westside's methods, but I am still open for suggestions.

Paul Stagg
02-14-2001, 07:23 AM
If you are just starting out, I think Bill Piche has some good routines on Cyberpump. I'll see if I can find them.

Your focus HAS to be:

Perfect form
Progression

Have someone check your form, and work on perfecting it. A 500 pound squat that gets red lighted might impress your buds in the gym, but won't get you far in a meet.

pumpuup
02-14-2001, 05:57 PM
I've been using Westside training for 3 weeks now. I like all of the different lifts and techniques I use everyday. Everyone must think I'm nuts with some of the stuff they tell you to do. I'll stick with it for at least a year to see what the results are.

The Cobra
02-14-2001, 06:09 PM
I powerlift. I see alot of people wanting to use Westside principles. Those were designed with the advanced powerlifter in mind. Guys that have trained for a few months and hit a minor plateau seem to think that Westside is what they're looking for. If you decide to train Westside, be VERY CAREFUL. Uncle Lou is brilliant, and his principles have done wonders for many a lifter. But the exercises you will do are dangerous if you aren't using PERFECT form!

Box squatting can be VERY dangerous! Make sure you have a solid box, solid technique, and solid execution. You may sit down on the bottom and realize, "Crap, I just rounded my back.. Nowhere to go but the hospital.." I've seen it done by many a young trainer.

Using dynamic resistance (chains, bands, etc) is excellent. But be careful again! When you use those, you'll develop a tendency to lockout forcefully, which is GOOD when used properly. You may discover that you start to explode lockouts on normal bench, squat, etc. DON'T! When you explode too much, you rely on your ligaments and bones to stop the weight. This can be very, very dangerous! I've heard of guys inverting their elbows by exploding bench lockouts. BE CAREFUL.

The most dangerous part of Westside training is speed day. When you go fast, you MUST MAINTAIN THE EXACT SAME FORM YOU USE WHEN YOU GO FOR A MAX! If you don't, you'll blow something out.

These principles work, but they are advanced. I suggest you don't try them unless you have years of experience AND competition behind you. And you better have a spotter than knows the techniques better than the curves on Pamela Lee's body, or YOU ARE SCREWED!

Adam
02-14-2001, 07:56 PM
Latman, the training didn't go so good. I think i wasn't gettin enough sleep and food while on the program, i also had exams when i started and after a week of the program i got the flu. I'll probly try it again soon, probly in the summer when there no school and lots of time for rest. I did like how the program was set up though, doing speed work is a pain but it helps alot i found.
Right now im just goin to add some mass and then once i get a few pounds im going to drop reps and train for strengt. Right now i started using negatives. Im just reading everything i can find by Arthur Jones and tryin to put it to work. I'll probly be doin 2 full body routines a week or every 4 days with one set per exercise. (If anyone has any links to articles by arthur other then cyberpump feel free to post them ) And if anyone tried using negatives much in there program please post your results:)

[Edited by getin bigger on 02-14-2001 at 09:56 PM]

Paul Stagg
02-15-2001, 08:02 AM
Great post, Cobra.

Sinep
02-15-2001, 08:16 AM
Paul.. I've seen on mm.com where you told what was the american records. Do you know what are the records for my class? (19 years old, 170lbs bulked, and I'm male :))

Paul Stagg
02-15-2001, 09:26 AM
You might fit in two places.

Teen, 18-19 - or junior.

You would compete in the 181 pound class, unless you could diet down under 165

The teen records for the 181's:

Squat - 617.25
Bench - 391.25
Deadlift - 650.25
Total - 1499

The Junior records for the 181's are about the same.

To put a little perspective on this... I'm expecting to compete in the 220 class (I *might* make it into the 198's, but I doubt it.)

I'm shooting for a squat of 400-450, a bench of 300-315, and a dead of 500, and a total of 1200 to 1265.

I'm 12 years older, and 30+ pounds heavier than these kids.

Damn.

Sinep
02-15-2001, 09:41 AM
617lbs squat? Lets pass on to the next question.. where can I get gear? ;)
For the bench I think I could get very close to that if I can reach 181 lean and workout for powerlifting.

Paul Stagg
02-15-2001, 09:51 AM
Those records come from a drug tested federation (USAPL).

Sinep
02-15-2001, 10:06 AM
Yeah I know.
For the squat.. how far down do they go?
Is there competition only for a specific exercice?

Paul Stagg
02-15-2001, 10:37 AM
Yeah I know.

** I'm not saying they are gear free... just that the federation tests.

For the squat.. how far down do they go?

** Hip must be below knee.

Is there competition only for a specific exercice?

** Sure. There are bench competitions, as well as some bench/deadlift competitions.

Adam
02-15-2001, 11:00 AM
Sinep, dont forget your in Canada. The records here are usually lower then the american records. Check out http://www.powerlifting.ca they have records there and results from meets.

gino
02-15-2001, 11:14 AM
These were my #s at 16yrs old, the last year I was able to make 165.

163lbs

Bench - 242
Squat - 330
Dead - 417

Total - 990

Sinep
02-15-2001, 11:29 AM
Thank gettingbig.. canadian record are less? I don't know.. I see one guy who weigth 165, squat 517, bench 390.5, dead 572 for a total of 1479!!