PDA

View Full Version : A few cutting questions...

whiteman90909
02-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Ok, I'm around 210, and I wanted to go on a cut till I got to around 180 for summer. I want to maintain that for a couple months or so, and that way when I go to school next year I will have a good base for a lengthy bulk.

My journal is here, (http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1844088) it has before/after pictures in the second post or so, and I am only a few pounds heavier currently than in the bigger pictures.

I would guess myself to be around 18-20% BF, but honestly, I have no real idea. The skinfold caliper test I did at my gym told me that in my earlier pictures I was 10% BF, which I know is wrong, so I don't have an accurate way to measure.

For my routine, I wish to follow something along the lines of the one in Scarz' sig (Ripped, Rugged, and Dense 2.0 (http://www.mediafire.com/?8tjtxjmli1d)), and I will modifly it a bit and see what people think of it. I will be doing track in the spring (throwing), so I will not have as much time to lift.

I guess my diet questions boil down to this:

1. Is simply eating at a caloric deficit an effective way of cutting? Is it more effective at a higher or lower BFs Does it ever become too difficult of a method? I want to try and cut down my simple carb intake (with the exception of pre and post workout and cheat meals on the weekends), and up protein while keeping a good amount of fat to keep me satisfied, but for the most part, it's just decreasing how much I eat.

2. When should I/ should I even take maltodextrin? I was thinking some simple carbs (maybe maltodextrin) before I work out, and specifically some dextrose and protein after.

3. How long does an insulin spike last after taking maltodextrin or other sugars? Does it depend on how many grams you take in, or what kind of carbs?

I just want to make sure that I start my first real cut right. I really don't want to mess this up. I've been using the search function alot, but there are no solid cutting threads to read. Any tips, advice, anything?