PDA

View Full Version : squat increments

Dan152
02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
alright ive been going up by10lbs every tie i squat. 3x a week for a few weeks and was up 2 165 monday. but today i idnt haev the weight to do 175 so i did 185 i did 3x5 but i didnt go ATG i went to about parralel. firday should i do 185 again and do ATG or should i try and do 195? or mayby 190.

Invain
02-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Personally, if I can't go ATG with it than it's too much weight. You don't have to go full depth if you don't want to I guess, but IMO, form > weight anytime.

elitepler
02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
this will only work for a short time, even the russian programs that have you squatting a million times a week do not go up that much every week. When starting out in the big compound lifts they will usally rise dramatically as your body gets used to the movement. Then the you will hit a point where muscular strength and leverages peak and gains will have to be fought for. I would cut back to 2 times a week or even once for more recovery and you will probably see a few more pr's.

Dan152
02-07-2008, 09:13 PM
im ollowing mark rippetoes routine. but next tie i gues i should squat 185 again and get the form down good

Big_Byrd52
02-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Personally, if I can't go ATG with it than it's too much weight. You don't have to go full depth if you don't want to I guess, but IMO, form > weight anytime.

u do know ur in the powerlifting section right? // is all it takes

Ben Moore
02-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, to his credit it does say powerlifting/olympic lifts, haha.

Invain
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
u do know ur in the powerlifting section right? // is all it takes

Yes? He never said he was training to be a powerlifter, and makes it sound like he normally goes ATF. I said it's not a big deal, but in my opinion, I'd rather drop the weight back a little if he can't go all the way down anymore. What's the point in increasing weight if you can't do the full ROM you were using before? Just cheating yourself.

Dan152
02-08-2008, 05:54 PM
becaue i dont have the increment to only do 175.

Big_Byrd52
02-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Yes? He never said he was training to be a powerlifter, and makes it sound like he normally goes ATF. I said it's not a big deal, but in my opinion, I'd rather drop the weight back a little if he can't go all the way down anymore. What's the point in increasing weight if you can't do the full ROM you were using before? Just cheating yourself.

because its called over load. 90% of lifting heavy ****e is half mental... and u can quote me on that. haha

seriously tho, u have toi train ur mind for the heavy weight. if u can build up to a heavy squat 2-3 inches high, then once u feel confident with that weight u can drop it right down in the hole. im not saying it should be all the time, cause if u train high u will squat high in comp, but u have to show urself u can handle that heavier weight. u may squat it high the first time u try it, but say damn that wasnt as bad as i thought. then the next time u take it down in the hole and pop right back up with a pr. u didnt get any stronger in those 2 weeks, u just got for confident in what u are able to do.

Paul Stagg
02-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Use smaller jumps. You won't be able to add 10 pounds a workout for very long. 5 pounds a workout is still 15 punds a week, and you can keep at that for a good while if you have all the other factors right.

Dan152
02-10-2008, 11:15 AM
yah thats wat im planning bro. thanks. i started with 20 im gunna milk the 10 for as long as i can then down to 5 then 2.5 then new workout