PDA

View Full Version : More protein, more muscle?

espn2829
02-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I've just started a new routine and am trying to maintain weight. I have decided to increase my protein intake because I want to gain muscle or at the very least, maintain it. However, I have noticed that my arms a bit skinnier than before, although my gut has slimmed down as well.

Is eating more protein optimal or is it going to waste? I weigh around 180-185 lbs. right now and get most of my protein from whey shakes. I would estimate I get around 150 g of protein per day, some days more some days less. What are your opinions on this.

Klotz
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
What's your routine like. Just eating protein by itself won't do much.

espn2829
02-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I started Bill Starr 5x5 a few weeks ago. It is recommended in the program that you should be gaining weight in order to make consistent PRs but I am trying to maintain weight. My bodyfat was increasing too much so I have cut back on junk food and calories in general.

Invain
02-07-2008, 10:08 PM
1. You can't control where you lose mass from. If you're in a caloric defecit your body will shed whatever/wherever it feels like. Seems to be your arms along with your gut, nothing much you can do about it. How do you know you didn't lose some fat off your arms anyways?

2. No, the protein isn't going ot waste. I'd shoot for 200 grams.

3. You're obviously not maintaining if you're losing weight. Why do you want to maintain right now anyways, if you don't mind me asking. You just started a new routine, what are your goals?

espn2829
02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
My goals are to lose bodyfat and increase my lifts. Adding muscle mass is also a goal but I figure that it will be hard to add mass if I eat less than before. Once I achieve a more leaner body, I will eat more to add in mass.

I started Bill Star 5x5 because I want to improve my lifts and feel that a dedicated program like this is a good way for that. I like the weekly increases in weight as well.

I want to maintain right now because I figure that that way my body will maintain or gain muscle while getting rid of the fat - that is if I increase weight lifted every week to work my body.

Does this make sense or am I totally off?

ddegroff
02-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I want to maintain right now because I figure that that way my body will maintain or gain muscle while getting rid of the fat - that is if I increase weight lifted every week to work my body.

Does this make sense or am I totally off?

It's possible but usually turns out to be a waste of time. Either cut some body fat or start gaining. Either way pick one. Otherwise you'll be spinning circles.

You could also eat slightly below maintenance and work hard in the gym and see what happens.

Slim Schaedle
02-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Lyle McD. actually said that the hardest part about diet/training is the maintenance period, as opposed to bulking and cutting.

So, keep the diet the same and in check and play with your training and see what happens.

Or, keep the training steady and solid and play with the diet.

Gotta find out what works for you.

espn2829
02-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I just have this extremely stubborn belly fat that is very hard to get rid off without losing muscle as well. It seems like whenever I start to lose some weight, I lose a lot of muscle as well. Now, I don't have much muscle, but the one I do have comes off.

My diet is not that bad, with the occasional fast food here and there. I am taking in lots of whey now, about 75 g of protein worth. I also eat cottage cheese and milk, along with eggs. I have also started taking fish oil.

A few months back, I decided to bulk till 200 lbs but the excess bodyfat was way too much. So in the middle of the bulk, I reduced my caloric intake with the hopes to lose the belly fat. Well, that partially worked but I have lost muscle as well. LOL, if this sounds repetitive, it is.

I am thinking of adding some running now or some kind of activity. I already do a lot of walking during the day but that has not seemed to help that much.

Is doing pushups and situps on off days a good idea?

bjohnso
02-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Do you track your calories?

espn2829
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Do you track your calories?

I do not, but I think I should. The thing is that I am Indian and some of the food we eat is not easily found on FitDay. I eat a lot of other food too but usually for dinner, it is usually Indian. I will look it up, thanks.