PDA

View Full Version : A question about gear...

Hazerboy
02-08-2008, 01:11 AM
In defense of gear, I sometimes hear lifters say that it helps prevent injuries. Is this true? I've never seen anything more than an analytical argument, but has there ever been any experimental data on the subject? Injuries of RAW lifters vs. equipped?

I don't want to turn this into a gear debate (I think we have enough already), but this is something I always see in its defense but I've never really seen anything to back it up.

Lones Green
02-08-2008, 04:09 AM
briefs and squat suits help with hip pain. shirts keep everything tight so your arms dont fall off....:moon:

jtteg_x
02-08-2008, 04:19 AM
I hate to give you this lame answer, but it depends on how its used and fit. If a lifter is truly wearing supportive gear for injury reasons, it is best to wear loose fit gear. Take an example of a lifter with a shoulder injury. If he or she throws on a loose fitted bench shirt, sure it'll help that bottom half a bit. By wearing a comp. fit shirt, it'll be so tight that you'll need much more over your max raw weight in order to "touch".
PL gear is supportive equipment, not rehab tools.

BPM Osgood
02-08-2008, 06:52 AM
PL Gear is by not a rehab tool thats for sure, But it can help pervent injurys! How many people do you know that have torn a Pec in a Shirt? Ok now how many do you know that have torn a Pec Benching Raw? I know and train with 3 People that have torn a Pec benching Raw. I dont know anyone who has ever torn a Pec benching in a shirt.

Now with that said, wearing a shirt to tight can cause injury if your not an Experienced lifter. Since it does take 100+lbs to touch over your max you can run into losing your Grove and having the weight fall on your face or your stomic... not a fun thing to have happen. doing one of these two things puts a load of stress on your Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Forarms... where you can get injured easly.

So If you can learn the in and out of a shirt you can gain and Bigger Bench and stay safe doing so!

Rusty
02-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Here's a great article by Chad Aichs about gear and the sport of powerlifting.

http://elitefts.com/documents/strength_sports.htm

Travis Bell
02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Bench shirts definatly help protect both the pecs and shoulders. My shoulders almost never hurt when I'm benching in my shirt, but when I'm training raw for an extended period of time I do need to pay more attention to my shoulders and listen to them when they need some rest

squat suits and briefs definatly protect the hips alot

Guido
02-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Bench shirts definatly help protect both the pecs and shoulders. My shoulders almost never hurt when I'm benching in my shirt, but when I'm training raw for an extended period of time I do need to pay more attention to my shoulders and listen to them when they need some rest

squat suits and briefs definatly protect the hips alotYep. The shirt definitely helps protect the shoulders and pecs to some extent, but my elbows and wrists definitely take more of a beating!

Travis Bell
02-08-2008, 10:51 AM
your elbows do? what kind of shirt are you wearing?

My wrists will sometimes feel tired or a little achy after benching extra heavy, but to be honest my elbows haven't hurt before. Usually if my elbows hurt its because I went too hard on extensor stuff. Little ice and I'm good to go

For guys who's wrists hurt frequently, it sometimes helps to do some more forearm work and strengthen up the hands and wrists to support the weight