PDA

View Full Version : "Side stitch" while running.

manowar669
02-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Recently, my girlfriend has been having trouble with side stitches when we run. She tries to stretch it out with her hands overhead, but it's not helping. We warm up for 5 minutes (fast walking and trotting) first. Anything that might help her?

Walrus
02-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Check out this:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa053100a.htm

http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/readings/sidest.html

manowar669
02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks, we will see if that helps her running.

Cycle28
03-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Somersaults do the trick for me. If she can pull off to the side and squeeze in a couple quick ones... it often works. Also, altering breathing is another remedy... as in take in a couple deep breaths in a row and then exhale or just the opposite... exhale forcefully a couple times in a row before taking your next breath. Might not be doctor recommended but it also seems to work, based on my personal experience.

the.powerhouse
05-19-2008, 07:38 AM
is she maybe struggling to keep up with you?

LoneJeeper
05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
if your girlfriend has trouble "trotting", feed her less hay.

try to take deeper breaths. always worked for me.

Detard
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Side stitches are a result of not enough blood flow to the digestive system. As the blood is delivered to the legs and heart, the amount going to the digestive system is decreased. You can help this by not eating within an hour of activity, and keeping the water intake low.

At least thats what our coaches explained to us.

Notorious
05-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Side stitches are a result of not enough blood flow to the digestive system. As the blood is delivered to the legs and heart, the amount going to the digestive system is decreased. You can help this by not eating within an hour of activity, and keeping the water intake low.

Yeah, that works for me. It completely sucks though, because running dehydrated without calories is not fun :(

thewicked
05-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Recently, my girlfriend has been having trouble with side stitches when we run. She tries to stretch it out with her hands overhead, but it's not helping. We warm up for 5 minutes (fast walking and trotting) first. Anything that might help her?

it all has to do with how your girl breathes. What she's doing is she's takign in more air then she's expelling when she's hyperventilating (breathing faster than normal..not like having a panic attack)...

what happens is that a small pocket of air actually gets forced out between her lung tissue and it's peritinium or sac surrounding the organ itself. This creates an uncomfortable pressure which can only be relieved when it's reabsorbed into the body. When she gets one the best thing to do is to slow down and take a break until it passes and learn to monitor your breathing..

i love nursing school :thumbup:

thewicked
05-23-2008, 10:03 PM

nope.. read above. Not saying you're giving wrong info..it was YOU that was given the wrong info. Even though blood is taken from other areas of the body when exercise and other "tramatic" incidents happen to the body, not enough blood is pulled from just running to cause any such problems derived from this. IF you eat before running your food will sit and digestion will stop..but it won't cause pain unless you have some wicked ass gas.

thewicked
05-23-2008, 10:04 PM
and to further explain why it can hurt on your side instead of right in your chest or up against your diaphragm which is where air can get stuck too..

it's called radiation..as in the pain in the body radiates to another point. There's actual pathways that pain does this in the body that can help you trace where the problem is actually occuring if infact nothing is present at the site of the said pain.