PDA

View Full Version : Middle weight PLers

BFGUITAR
02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
What factors determine what weight class one should compete? Like why do some people want to stay around 185 to compete in that weight class rather than gain weight like mad and become a strong 250? If I remember, Chris Rodgers is pretty light (at was at least) but lifts like a mad man. I guess he could answer my question.

Personally, competing in a medium weight class seems appealing to me (at least for now). I dont know if its the same as boxing... some people are built for a specific weight class and moving up a weight class could change their game dramatically.

Im just confused in general about why people choose a specific weight class (aside from their current weight, im talking long term).

BPM Osgood
02-08-2008, 11:43 AM
This is a bed Q to explain. if youre 185lbs and plain to go up too 250lbs, then its going to take year to get there. Even with AAS...

Where do you draw a line of strong? Someone who Benches 800@275 is super Strong, But say your benching 650@181... Thats still Super Strong! So Being Big Dont always mean your Strong, Us Light Guys are strong as well!

As a Middle Weight Lifter I choose to compete at 181lbs cause of the Crazy number coming out of this weight class, Jay Fry 68?? at 181 Brad heck 705@181. I Guess these type of people make me want to do it at this weight class too!

Travis Bell
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
BF you're right there are certain body types that are built for different weight classes. When I started out, I was in the 181 class and doing very well, one day I realized that I was walking around at about 195, so i began competing at 198 after that (without cutting weight) moving up weight classes has gone up fairly consistently with my strength and size gain until I hit about 245-250, I've stabalized there for some time.

What it'll come down to eventually is where you're most competitive at. Look at Rob Luyando, goes from 220 all the way up to 275. If I don't feel like cutting weight, I'll sit in the 242 class. If I'm feelin hardcore I'll go down to 220. I hate cutting weight though. Such a pain

Big_Byrd52
02-08-2008, 12:10 PM
This is a bed Q to explain. if youre 185lbs and plain to go up too 250lbs, then its going to take year to get there. Even with AAS...

Where do you draw a line of strong? Someone who Benches 800@275 is super Strong, But say your benching 650@181... Thats still Super Strong! So Being Big Dont always mean your Strong, Us Light Guys are strong as well!

As a Middle Weight Lifter I choose to compete at 181lbs cause of the Crazy number coming out of this weight class, Jay Fry 68?? at 181 Brad heck 705@181. I Guess these type of people make me want to do it at this weight class too!

well where the hell u been hiding?

BPM Osgood
02-08-2008, 12:17 PM
well where the hell u been hiding?

lol Home I guess!! I havent been spending to much time of the Forums lately, But things have changed!

jtteg_x
02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
before i got into PLing, I was 177lb. when i seriously wanted to do a meet, i looked at the records and see which were realistically obtainable. so i went up to 198lb and took the american/state in the uspf in 198 junior on my first show. im cock strong at 208+ but records are tough to beat in that division. on top of that I can barely breathe so my health was at risk.

i will compete 220 once my lowerback injury is fully recovered.