PDA

View Full Version : General powerlifting competition questions

pulse
02-08-2008, 07:14 PM
To give you a little background on me I started lifting June 3rd of last year. I was 125lbs and since have made great progress. I am a firefighter/emt and love it. I have been looking around but couldn't find much information on meets in my area.

I would be interested in the 165lb Junior class I think. (Its the 20-23 right?). Ill be shooting for that weight this year and probably would stay around that. My big 3 isn't too impressive at the moment, but for me I feel very accomplished. Obviously by then Im hoping I would be closing in on 900 or 1000 total.

I know there are quite a few meets in my area because there has been a few at my gym recently. I would really be interested in competing for fun once I am up around 165. I cant seem to find any results for local meets just the national records.

I guess the questions I am looking for here is. What kind of totals are people in this weight class getting? Are the competitions raw, or will I probably have to invest in a belt, wraps, and suits by the time I want to compete? Could anyone direct me to some places where I can find more information on meets in my area and what kind of competition I should expect? Remember I am not in this to win, I mean it would be great, I just want to compete and have some fun. Who knows maybe I will be much stronger by then and actually able to put up some good numbers.. Any constructive criticism would be helpful. Thanks

jtteg_x
02-09-2008, 02:43 AM
it varies on which federation. some will total larger numbers because some federations allow close to unlimited amount of gear. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com has a lift of powerlifting feds. pick one and look over the rules on gear. there is also a function on that site to search local meets.

pulse
02-09-2008, 11:49 AM
it varies on which federation. some will total larger numbers because some federations allow close to unlimited amount of gear. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com has a lift of powerlifting feds. pick one and look over the rules on gear. there is also a function on that site to search local meets.

Excellent thank you. This is exactly what I needed!

PS: State records for different federations are something around 1100-1300 total. Not baddddd. Time to double all my lifts and put on like 15 lbs!

BPM Osgood
02-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Remember I am not in this to win, I mean it would be great, I just want to compete and have some fun

I got to say thats awesome! I wish more people starting out in the sport would do the same thing!

I was once told that I should never go after a Number or a Person's Number (record) but yet just go out each time and do better then i did the Last time! This has pushed me so much better, then tryin to chase down a Number... Just thought I would share that with you.

Good luck with everything Bro!

pulse
02-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I got to say thats awesome! I wish more people starting out in the sport would do the same thing!

I was once told that I should never go after a Number or a Person's Number (record) but yet just go out each time and do better then i did the Last time! This has pushed me so much better, then tryin to chase down a Number... Just thought I would share that with you.

Good luck with everything Bro!

Thanks man. The advice is really good and I don't plan on shooting for anyone elses numbers but my own. Seeing as I am really knew I just had no idea how much people my age/size were capable of.