PDA

View Full Version : Im in trouble

chinaz
02-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Im in big trouble.

meet is in a week, im down to 99.5lbs,
My time of the month is coming around : (
i gain 5 to 10lbs during my time of the month.
so im screwd : (
HELP :' (

Paul Stagg
02-09-2008, 12:07 PM
You seriously need to stop obsessing over making weight, and compete where you are. We've already told you this a number of times.

If you continue to ignore that advice and continue to do what your coach says (which is fine by me), you need to take responsibility for that, and quit coming here and complaining about it.

Bako Lifter
02-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Ya, stop worrying about your weight. Compete at where ever you're at.

So your coach told you to drop a few pounds, tell him to screw off. What is he gonna do if you don't drop weight? Cut you from the team? No, because that would be stupid since you're probably gonna be breaking records.

You're going to win or at least do really well in whatever weight class you're in. I'm sure you could compete with girls in the 135 lb class.

And powerlifting meets aren't about winning, they're about beating your old personal records. :)

Detard
02-09-2008, 12:59 PM
You could cut off your arm. That would put you somewhere around 98lbs. You didnt need that arm anyways :p.

Seriously, listen to paul and everyone else thats been giving u good advice, just compete at whatever weight you weigh in at. And tell your coach to come over to WBB.

WillKuenzel
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I'll be so much happier having you around when you grow up a little, drop the drama queen mentality, and learn that every little thing that happens to you isn't a life or death situation.

It's your time of the month. Take some midol, monitor your water intake and deal with it. If you don't make weight though, it ain't the end of the world. The sky will not come crashing down and no matter how much you may believe that all dear life on earth hangs in the balance of you making weight, it really doesn't.

pulse
02-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll be so much happier having you around when you grow up a little, drop the drama queen mentality, and learn that every little thing that happens to you isn't a life or death situation.

It's your time of the month. Take some midol, monitor your water intake and deal with it. If you don't make weight though, it ain't the end of the world. The sky will not come crashing down and no matter how much you may believe that all dear life on earth hangs in the balance of you making weight, it really doesn't.

This is what I have been thinking but didnt want to say. Thank you!

Nothing personal but I would hate to see one of these posts every month.

Klotz
02-09-2008, 02:31 PM
How does the birth control pill affect your strength?

And when you're a 15 year old girl who weighs 100 lb, don't worry about your weight class. You're still just trying to get your strength up, and once you've become strong and experienced enough, then you can start focusing on a weight class.

WillKuenzel
02-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Another thing, weight lifting doesn't stunt your growth but prolonged dieting at such an early age can. You keep trying to make weight and prevent yourself from gaining weight and you're going to give yourself from very serious long term issues. Grow up a little, eat right, don't starve yourself, and don't constantly dehydrate yourself. Live a little for crying out loud.

Travis Bell
02-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Bingo, homeyield hit the nail on the head. Messing around too much with your nutrition at your age can have some serious consequences. You should just have fun at the meet, don't cut weight. Even those of us who've been doing it for years don't like cutting weight - I normally don't

BFGUITAR
02-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Your 14, new, incredibly strong (especially for your experience), winning competitions without even touching your maxes... What are you complaining about it?

PriestCometh
02-10-2008, 01:20 PM
If you wanna drop it, you will. Just cut carbs, monitor your weight.
stop going to burger king. Most lighter people like being at lighter weights.
because hitting a 300 squat at 97 pounds means more than at 107 for that lifter. Most heavies say to "just lift where you are at" because of the mentality that you will lift more being heavier.

The only thing i see is that you must properly hydrate back up if you are going to choose to cut. It wont be that hard because it being your time of the month you will retain water.

Lones Green
02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
If you wanna drop it, you will. Just cut carbs, monitor your weight.
stop going to burger king. Most lighter people like being at lighter weights.
because hitting a 300 squat at 97 pounds means more than at 107 for that lifter. Most heavies say to "just lift where you are at" because of the mentality that you will lift more being heavier.

The only thing i see is that you must properly hydrate back up if you are going to choose to cut. It wont be that hard because it being your time of the month you will retain water.

i think this is valid advice, if she wasn't new to lifting, and 15 years old. also, i think cutting weight WILL hinder your lifts...

chris taylor
02-10-2008, 06:33 PM
2 gallons of water a day starting at 5 days from weigh in then on day 3, 1 gallon of water then day 4 no water at all all day and no food 12 hrs before weigh in. weigh yurself 3 hrs before weigh in and if yur heavy find a sauna and sit for 15 min.. once you weigh in take in 50 grams carbs with 1/2 gallon water and a bowl of potato chips every half hour till your back up to normal weight.

CT

Killa Kurt
02-10-2008, 06:40 PM

:withstupi:

cpc5304
02-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I've gotta agree. As somebody who cut a good amount of weight all through high school, I would say it's not a good idea. Live a little. Eat healthy, lift a lot, go up a weight, and enjoy yourself more. What is your current weight class (sorry, not familiar with women's weight classes), and what is the next one up? For your size, age, and gender, those are incredible numbers. Eat, get stronger (yes, those two are linked), and smile.

Let me relay a story. I never drank once until new years my senior year of high school. After two beers, I quit drinking. This was not because I had to drive home (I could have stayed there had I wanted), it was because I had to make weight three days later and didn't want to take in any more empty calories. I couldn't even enjoy my frist drinking experience, this was the second semester of my senior year of HS and I was already into college.

Live a little, trust me, the time when you can goes by very quickly, don't be in a rush to grow up. Responsibility isn't all it's cracked up to be.

chinaz
02-10-2008, 09:52 PM
2 gallons of water a day starting at 5 days from weigh in then on day 3, 1 gallon of water then day 4 no water at all all day and no food 12 hrs before weigh in. weigh yurself 3 hrs before weigh in and if yur heavy find a sauna and sit for 15 min.. once you weigh in take in 50 grams carbs with 1/2 gallon water and a bowl of potato chips every half hour till your back up to normal weight.

CT

this is what i was looking for.

i know theres no way i can hit 97, but w,e i dont care.
im going to regionals 4sure,
what i needed to know if how to change around my water intake during this time.,

see, i think state is around the same time i start also,
so, if my coach calls in and sets me for the 105 or 97 weight class, and if i dont make it, then i cant even compete.
do you guys get it now?

Blackhawk08
02-10-2008, 09:57 PM
well tell him to put you in 105 then...

chinaz
02-10-2008, 10:08 PM
well tell him to put you in 105 then...

Ya but by the time state comes around i wont know which weight class im going to end up being in.

I really would love to make the 97, i know i can do it,
but i dont want to tell him to put me in the 97 and then not get to compete.

I need to be in the 97 weight class, its just best for me.
go to tx state highschool girls powerlifting on google,
im still 1st in the 5a, but im competing against all regions for regionals.

Travis Bell
02-10-2008, 11:00 PM
just get stronger and you'll spend more time training instead of trying to be at 97

chinaz
02-11-2008, 09:36 AM
just get stronger and you'll spend more time training instead of trying to be at 97

if i get any bigger then 110 then ill be over weight.

Klotz
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Then compete at 110. You can't stay the same size as a 15 year old girl for the rest of your life.

Ruffian
02-11-2008, 10:27 AM
From one female powerlifter to another, there is only so much you can do when that time comes. Do your best to cut out water, ONLY at noon the day before. Dont go too hard though, keep in mind that the body is a very delicate balance hormonally and that there is a reason for that 'time' as much as everything else.

Frankly, at fifteen, to cut weight that severely can screw you up in the long term. Back off, allow your body to be at its natural weight, VERY few women compete in powerlifting, and very few of those women compete at a weight category as low as yours. In canada the most popular powerlifting weight catergories are from 60-85.... And all of those are a minimum of 22 lbs over your 'overweight' catergory. Your body is trying to go... hell... MY Body is trying to grow and im almost 6 years older than you! Let it do its thing, and you will be much stronger for it!

Feel free to private msg me if you feel the need, Im not on here much anymore but I couldnt resist answering this thread. Youve gotten lots of good advice but its hard to take the advice for what it is when its coming from 1) men or 2) women who dont powerlift (although, you know i <3 you Built). In the end the decision is yours, but remember that to cut weight as hard as you are WILL have its adverse effects, they just might not come to pass for a couple years.

chinaz
02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Then compete at 110. You can't stay the same size as a 15 year old girl for the rest of your life.

actually i can.

My bones have fused since i was 10years old.
Im staying at this height for the rest of my life.
Well, i could grow about 3inchs if i get surgery. but i would have to be ina wheelchair for about 2years, so i dont think im doing that...
My doc's have said that im a 15year old girl, but i have bones and a body of a 20year old.
If im staying at this height forever, then i really do want to stay in 105lbs and lower for the rest of my life.
Now, if it comes down to me gaining weight bec of my lifting, i dont care much.
But im not going to go have Mcdonald's the day before the meet just to make the 115 weight class.

If i gain weight, i want it to only be muscle.
and thats not going to happen by sat.

chinaz
02-11-2008, 10:37 AM
From one female powerlifter to another, there is only so much you can do when that time comes. Do your best to cut out water, ONLY at noon the day before. Dont go too hard though, keep in mind that the body is a very delicate balance hormonally and that there is a reason for that 'time' as much as everything else.

Frankly, at fifteen, to cut weight that severely can screw you up in the long term. Back off, allow your body to be at its natural weight, VERY few women compete in powerlifting, and very few of those women compete at a weight category as low as yours. In canada the most popular powerlifting weight catergories are from 60-85.... And all of those are a minimum of 22 lbs over your 'overweight' catergory. Your body is trying to go... hell... MY Body is trying to grow and im almost 6 years older than you! Let it do its thing, and you will be much stronger for it!

Feel free to private msg me if you feel the need, Im not on here much anymore but I couldnt resist answering this thread. Youve gotten lots of good advice but its hard to take the advice for what it is when its coming from 1) men or 2) women who dont powerlift (although, you know i <3 you Built). In the end the decision is yours, but remember that to cut weight as hard as you are WILL have its adverse effects, they just might not come to pass for a couple years.

thanks a whole bunch.
I just hope this doesnt happen to me around state : /
but i dont have to win state this year, its ok, i have 2more years of high school. and then, i have my whole life to compete.

Ruffian
02-11-2008, 10:46 AM
thanks a whole bunch.
I just hope this doesnt happen to me around state : /
but i dont have to win state this year, its ok, i have 2more years of high school. and then, i have my whole life to compete.

Thats exactly what Im trying to tell you though, you have 2 years to compete... Dont worry so much about cutting weight right now and allow yourself to gain the experience. I am no where near as knowledgeable as my boyfriend or the two or three other women I compete with, but at fifteen I think everyone would agree that you shouldnt cut that hard. I mean, Im at 155 right now and am cutting down 7 lbs for a competition this weekend.... But you are at 105 and cutting down the same amount..... Think of the ratios... I weigh 1.5 of you and we're cutting the same amount.... 7 lbs is a lot of weight for someone of your size and especiallyf or someone your age.

Yes, your growth plates may have fused but remember that women's bodies will continue to grow long after your height stops increasing.... Bone mass increases until about 20 years (I believe, feel free to correct me if Im wrong), your body dimensions will change (including your breasts and hips) and your facial features might change a bit. I can tell by looking at your face that you still have a little ways to go yet, you still have some of the dimensions of a fifteen your old in your features.

Back off the weights, its fine to gain weight at your age class but your not even allowing your body to gain muscle mass.... Competing as often as you are and dropping weight as hard/fast as you are, your body could be quite easily stripping itself of alot of the muscle you would have otherwise gained. My suggestion? Stay in the weight class you are in and gain a few pounds so that you are one or two over the threshold of the class and find an experienced female powerlifting buddy to give you some advice. Your coach kinda seems like a bit of a loser. . .

Oh, and buy some real shoes..... ;)

chinaz
02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Thats exactly what Im trying to tell you though, you have 2 years to compete... Dont worry so much about cutting weight right now and allow yourself to gain the experience. I am no where near as knowledgeable as my boyfriend or the two or three other women I compete with, but at fifteen I think everyone would agree that you shouldnt cut that hard. I mean, Im at 155 right now and am cutting down 7 lbs for a competition this weekend.... But you are at 105 and cutting down the same amount..... Think of the ratios... I weigh 1.5 of you and we're cutting the same amount.... 7 lbs is a lot of weight for someone of your size and especiallyf or someone your age.

Yes, your growth plates may have fused but remember that women's bodies will continue to grow long after your height stops increasing.... Bone mass increases until about 20 years (I believe, feel free to correct me if Im wrong), your body dimensions will change (including your breasts and hips) and your facial features might change a bit. I can tell by looking at your face that you still have a little ways to go yet, you still have some of the dimensions of a fifteen your old in your features.

Back off the weights, its fine to gain weight at your age class but your not even allowing your body to gain muscle mass.... Competing as often as you are and dropping weight as hard/fast as you are, your body could be quite easily stripping itself of alot of the muscle you would have otherwise gained. My suggestion? Stay in the weight class you are in and gain a few pounds so that you are one or two over the threshold of the class and find an experienced female powerlifting buddy to give you some advice. Your coach kinda seems like a bit of a loser. . .

Oh, and buy some real shoes..... ;)

yah, thanks for the advice.
HAH lol, ya i need new shoes big time.
I need to stop lifting in running shoes..
But idk where to get pl shoes : (
i really want hott pink ones : )

Uncle Fester
02-11-2008, 01:27 PM
yah, thanks for the advice.
HAH lol, ya i need new shoes big time.
I need to stop lifting in running shoes..
But idk where to get pl shoes : (
i really want hott pink ones : )

I know for a fact that Chuck Taylors come in pink.

Ruffian
02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Chucks work well for deadlifts but frankly, just get anything with a hard sole to start off with. Dont worry about oly lifting shoes or anything for the time being, and I dont think you have an option to get those shoes in pink anyways lol.

Well, perhaps if you pay extra... but im cheap ;)

I started off with just buying a pair of cheap wrestling style shoes from Target, they were only about 15 dollars but worked really well as a starting ground. Plus they work great for deadlifting, my boyfriend loves using the chucks for his sumos so all the power to him... I am just going to be starting to pull sumo for nationals this year so I Cant offer you any kinda advice on that.

But seriously, just relax on the dieting... You will thank us all for it later when your strength just explodes!

Klotz
02-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Even if you've stopped growing vertically, your body is still going to change. I reached six feet when I was about 13 but my body now (20) is totally different. Even if you stop aging at 15, you're still going to put on muscle from all the weight training.

Tim K
02-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Your coach kinda seems like a bit of a loser. . .

From what I've read in this and other threads, I'll second that emotion.

You've gotten a lot of good advice from a lot of good people. Follow it. Cutting weight for a competition should not be your primary concern right now. Train, eat, rest, and gain strength.