PDA

View Full Version : pre-meet training and bench advice for a raw lifter

justen caputo
02-09-2008, 12:09 PM
hey,what's up guys.just wondering if you guys could help me out here.i'm training for the usapl raw challenge at the arnold classic in 3 weeks.i've maxed out on all my lifts so far and i'm tapering it down right now.my question is what type of pre-meet training do you guys suggest for a hopefully perfect meet.i've been competing for 5 years now and i thought i'd take some advice from some good lifters.speed work,light weight etc.training has been great so far.any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. heavy pulls,speed box squats and back on sunday,heavy bench and delts on tuesday,heavy squats,good mornings and speed pulls on wednesday and tris and close grip bench on friday.

Travis Bell
02-09-2008, 12:49 PM
are you talking like the week before? two weeks out? just kinda depends.

For benching, the last time I'll get in my shirt is either two or 3 weeks out from a meet. Week before, just take a 85-90% single raw and then the tuesday or wednsday before, do a super light speed workout with no extensor work. I'll take Friday off completly. Keep in mind though, I'm a bench only competitor, if I were doing full meets I'd take more time off to let my body completly recover.

One thing I have found though is if I take too much time off, I feel weird when I get on the platform, not as fluid and a little rusty, whereas if I plan it just right, I feel like its just another day in the gym

justen caputo
02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
i usually take 5-6 days off completely before a meet,so the last 2 weeks before i take a week off is my problem area.

BPM Osgood
02-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I personaly Would Train the Same way you have been, changing something now in hopes for a lil more strength is so much of a gamble. Just make sure you rest all your Muscles 100% before the meet, a Good 6-7 Days! Also, I always get a Neuromuscular Massage about 3-4 Days out from a Meet. This will make sure all your muscles are working 100%! Good Luck Bro!

justen caputo
02-09-2008, 05:20 PM
thanks alot guys,i really like the massage idea.sounds like a good way to loosen up your body and to relax.i'll definetly do that.

RhodeHouse
02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
If you get a massage, make sure it's just a relaxing one. I don't know what a nueromuscular massage is. Too scientific for me.

As far as training, you can't get stronger in 2 more training weeks, but you can get weaker. I would work up to weights that are going to absolutely fly off your chest. Maybe your openner 2 weeks out and the last attempt in the warm-up room before your openner the week before. Build confidence and dial everything in for the meet. If you put the time in, you'll compete well.

The week of the meet I go to the gym and just move my body. I squat with just the bar, bench with just the bar and do RDL's. 10-15 inutes of cardio 2x and light stretching all week. Make sure to keep your body moving during the week, because that's what it's used to on a normal training week.
\
Hope some of this helps. Best of luck.

justen caputo
02-09-2008, 10:58 PM
As far as training, you can't get stronger in 2 more training weeks, but you can get weaker.

that is so true,sounds like a good plan.it sucks too because there is no early weigh in and i usually live off those as i love to eat!

90kg_pwrlftr
02-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Yep I love the early weigh ins too! Im gonna be first in line at the classic for weigh ins! Then its time to eat!!!

To answer your question about pre-meet training, I usually take off 5 days or so before the meet and just do light cardio and stretching. Two weeks out I'm usually dialing in form, depth and signals and determining my openers. The Arnold prep will be different as I will be in Disney (Feb21-Feb28).