PDA

View Full Version : Bench Wench

Wednesday.
02-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I am a total complete newbie. Pretend like I dont know anything.

I am female, late 30s, I am 5'2 but I dont feel like sharing my all my stats. Supplements are protein, fish oil, multi and extra calcium/fiber, C, E and I have just begin experimenting with Biotests Hot Rox. I am waiting for my shipment of Nitrean from At Large.

Ive been working with kettlebells because they were different and portable and I was traveling a lot.

Now I have settled into a cottage on the beach to begin surfing again. It's been many years since I surfed on a regular basis and I am very deconditioned. Surfers need fluid, explosive bursts of power and strong shoulders and back.

My goals are fat loss, flexibility and explosive strength. I chose kettlebells to take me from a sedentary state. I was attracted to the KB because it was different and yet still old school. I like different and tradition appeals to me. I was motivated to clean up my diet and used this time to learn about nutrition as I was starting to incorporate exercise into my daily routine. I practice yoga and pilates for my flexibility goals, but I am also using a foam roller for self massage. I like to do yoga after being in the water because sometimes my bad posture makes my neck hurt. I am trying to be more aware of slumping when I'm sitting on my surfboard or even just using the laptop.

I have progressed to the point where I am ready to move to heavier bells and so now I have decided to add more traditional weight lifting. I have been doing some reading and have decided that the type of lifting that appeals to me is old fashioned Olympic style, I have not attempted it yet.

Tonight I purchased a bench, rack and barbell. I still have to assemble the monstrous thing. :drooling:

Here is my current routine using the KBs:

10# KB

3x15 two arm swings
3x15 single arm swings
3x15 alternating arm swings
3x15 cleans
3x15 presses
3x10 front squats

15# KB

1x15 two arm swings
1x15 single arm swings
1x15 alternating arm swings
1x8 cleans
1x8 presses
1x8 front squats

You can see by the small weights I am using that I am not very strong.

I need help designing a barbell routine. Tonight I was able to do 4 sets of 15 biceps curls at 27 pounds. (barbell is 17#) As soon as I put the bench together (if I can put the bench together), I want to see what I can bench press.

I really dont know what I am doing.:indian:

killxswitch
02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Sensei will be able to help you with kettlebells. You might hit him up for advice. Good luck with your goals.

Wednesday.
02-10-2008, 09:59 AM
I am having a really "fun" time putting this stupid bench/rack together with a pair of pliers and a wrench. Plus, I need more floor pads, I dont want to drop a barbell on my marble floor! I feel sort of inadequate trying to put this thing together by myself, but then I remember that my ex-husband couldn't have done it either and I feel more macho. I WILL get this thing put together tonight.

Today, I will hit the gym and do the machines simply because the area of my home that I like to work out in is strewn with bits and pieces. I really want to start working on my squats, my form is horrible. Plus, I wanna see what I am capable of bench pressing. Why is that so important? I duno, but I still wanna see.

I havent used Fitday since I moved about a month ago, but I am now logging my calories. I think what works best for me is a pretty even split of about 30% fat, 30% carbs and 40% proteins. As I move into heavier weights I am sure that will change.

Right now I am in calorie deficit for fat loss, and will probably stay that way until late summer when I will switch to making some shoulders and a nice strong back. I want a big, bouncy booty and I am considering taking fencing lessons. All those lunges are supposed to be great for the glutes and you never know when you might have to fight for Zorro.

I'll post my food later. Im gonna go get my workout on at the gym because my house is a wreck. So, its the machines instead of KBs today, thanks.

OGROK
02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
If you want an ass, do powerlifting style squats.

killxswitch
02-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I am having a really "fun" time putting this stupid bench/rack together with a pair of pliers and a wrench. Plus, I need more floor pads, I dont want to drop a barbell on my marble floor! I feel sort of inadequate trying to put this thing together by myself, but then I remember that my ex-husband couldn't have done it either and I feel more macho. I WILL get this thing put together tonight.

Today, I will hit the gym and do the machines simply because the area of my home that I like to work out in is strewn with bits and pieces. I really want to start working on my squats, my form is horrible. Plus, I wanna see what I am capable of bench pressing. Why is that so important? I duno, but I still wanna see.

I havent used Fitday since I moved about a month ago, but I am now logging my calories. I think what works best for me is a pretty even split of about 30% fat, 30% carbs and 40% proteins. As I move into heavier weights I am sure that will change.

Right now I am in calorie deficit for fat loss, and will probably stay that way until late summer when I will switch to making some shoulders and a nice strong back. I want a big, bouncy booty and I am considering taking fencing lessons. All those lunges are supposed to be great for the glutes and you never know when you might have to fight for Zorro.

I'll post my food later. Im gonna go get my workout on at the gym because my house is a wreck. So, its the machines instead of KBs today, thanks.

It's important because you need measurable goals to make progress and stay motivated. Go for it.

Wednesday.
02-11-2008, 06:21 PM
If you want an ass, do powerlifting style squats.

I very much want a big butt. My butt has always been "okay" but I want a remarkable butt. I dont plan to lift heavy weights at home alone and so I am thinking about changing gyms. I guess its time to get serious about finding a support network. Im afraid to try significant weight at home alone without much of a clue.

It's important because you need measurable goals to make progress and stay motivated. Go for it.

Makes perfect sense.

I did kettlebells today. I forgot I had ordered some of Pavel's videos from Dragon Door about KB technique, I am going to watch them tonight.

Today I just did my regular KB routine posted above (or similar, i usually do 15 reps per set) I did 4 sets with a 15# bell. I know you guys are prolly thinking "15#? so what?". It really is harder than it looks!

Ill see what advice I can pick up in the videos.

I would also like some help figuring out a simple, basic, newbie barbell routine in addition to KB training. If anyone has the time or inclination to help me figure it out, I would be appreciative and grateful.

I want to work on my entire backside and core. Im guessing this means, squats, deadlift and pull ups. Unfortunately I have no ability to perform a pullup or a place in my home to do them, maybe I can install a bar or look for a gym with an assisted pull up machine. I live on a small island and so my gym choices are limited, but I'll start looking around.

nhlfan
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
It's awesome to see you doing KB workouts, not too many people are into them.

Get that rack set up!

Wednesday.
02-11-2008, 06:57 PM
It's awesome to see you doing KB workouts, not too many people are into them.

Get that rack set up!

Thanks for the encouragement. Youre right, a lot of people have never even heard of KBs, but I think thats part of the appeal for me. I just have this rebellious need to be different. Thats one for the shrinks and not the gym, tho, haha.

I am still working on the assembly of the rack, I have made SOME progress, but I'm waiting to catch my neighbor at home because I need another pair of hands to finish it. When I have it completed, you guys will be the first to know! lol

One good thing about assembling your own weight bench, you KNOW that sucker is put together tight!

I should have it functional in the next day or two, I just gotta catch a friend to help me.

lynnlynn7
02-11-2008, 10:11 PM
You say you want a butt? I will give you some of mine! Nice to see another female face around here. Good luck!

Wednesday.
02-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Any chick who quotes Henry Rollins in her sig has got to be a cool babe. We must be from the same tribe.

YES I want a big big booty! Im tired of my flat, wimpy behind.

I love Pavel, he is so amusing, the videos are good stuff. I especially like how he calls the women Comrades Ladies, and refers to his students as victims.

Im going to try some new movements from the vid with the KBs tomorrow.

I still need some kind of plan for the barbell and I am very, very uncertain about my deadlift grip, it just seems very awkward.

killxswitch
02-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Deadlifts seem daunting at first, but you'll get it. Have you taken a look at the Starting Strength routine by Mark Rippetoe? A good place to start is here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

That's the program I'm doing now. It's great for increasing muscle mass in novice lifters. You'd be amazed at who qualifies as a "novice" when it comes to this program.

I started out deadlifting with a double overhand grip, and recently switched to the over/under grip because my hands were hindering my progress. Once I got the hang of it it was easy. I'm sure the same will happen for you.

02-12-2008, 12:58 AM
ok so go over your goals again?
you said u need help with a barbell routine ? basically you want o know what you can/ should do with the thing im guessing ?

02-12-2008, 01:00 AM
im with ya on the botty- ill do any exercise to make it better!!!

Wednesday.
02-12-2008, 01:34 AM
killxswitch, This link is a gold mine thank you!

8.8 come join my Big Booty Battalion for Comrades Ladies. :ninja:

Veggies and cottage cheese for late night snack, off to bed.

Tomorrow I'll post the new KB routine and finish assembling the bench.

Wednesday.
02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Im having some trouble today. I took 2 hot rox this morning and now I think I am a meth head. I am not used to stimulants and I have only been taking one until now.

I am having to force myself to eat today and I cant seem to pull it together mentally for a workout.

My body is going thru so many things right now, I guess its ok to just sit here and check my heart rate every few minutes, lol.

The recommended dosage is 2 in the AM and 2 in the afternoon. Dear lord, I'll never be able to handle that much.

Maybe thermogenics just arent for me?

02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Im having some trouble today. I took 2 hot rox this morning and now I think I am a meth head. I am not used to stimulants and I have only been taking one until now.

I am having to force myself to eat today and I cant seem to pull it together mentally for a workout.

My body is going thru so many things right now, I guess its ok to just sit here and check my heart rate every few minutes, lol.

The recommended dosage is 2 in the AM and 2 in the afternoon. Dear lord, I'll never be able to handle that much.

Maybe thermogenics just arent for me?

eeeeee, yikes ya im not a fan of thermos at all and i really dont think there necessary unless you plan on competing very soon

Wednesday.
02-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Got derailed, tomorrow I'll have to clean out my diet. I got some chocolate for Valentine's Day and I am feeling guilty about the sugar.

I think I just need to call this a binge or a cheat and enjoy it, life is short and I didnt know about my secret Valentine, he sort of surprised me. (We are just friends.)

So I am binging on sugar. Happy Valentine's Day.

Wednesday.
02-17-2008, 07:01 AM
I am waiting for my breakfast to digest before going out. Cheesy eggs.

I have not posted a weight routine because I havent been lifting weights this week.

Surf's up! I have been getting my exericise in the water.

Here are some pics of random locals from yesterday, today should be even bigger. They never take pics of me, I guess I dont rip hard enough. Oh well.

http://www.g-townsurf.com/

Wednesday.
02-18-2008, 06:15 AM
Yesterday sucked.
The surf was wild and choppy and I didnt realize til I paddled out how dehydrated I was. I was about maybe an hour, it was all I could take. I swallowed some seawater on the way in and by the time I made it home I had to puke.
Rinsed off, passed out and slept the rest of the day and night. My sleep patterns are all wonky anyway.
Gotta remember to drink more water.

Today I used the kettlebells for an arm workout. I only have a 10#, 15#, and 20# bells, so when I did renegade rows, the first set was a 15# in my left and a 10# in my right. The second set I switched.

I want big strong arms to paddle with.

10 minutes of joint mobility warmups
renegade rows 8x2x the uneven bells I decribed, this is damn hard for me
farmer walks
slow KB twists 8x2x15
Russian twists 28x2x15
waiter walks

then I did the pre-surf warmup from Peggy Hall's video Yoga for Surfers

Supplements
multi w/minerals 1
fish oil 3
C & E 2
hot rox 1
fiber/calcium 2
ibuprofen 1000 mg

breakfast
1/2c cottage cheese
apple
pear
shake: protein, creatine, 1/2c skim milk, blueberries

going back out soon as the fog burns off, brrr

I hope I dont surf like a kook today.

Wednesday.
02-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I ordered a copy of the Rippetoe book. The wind has been great all week and Ive been in the water almost every day. When it starts to slack, Im going to hit the weights pretty hard. I am going to need help with squats. I am ready to work hard. I always seem to get my diet down pretty good, but I dont think I have been working as hard as I should, simple as that. I've been having fun tho, and thats important too.

I cant find time to use Fitday this week so I am winging it. I'm using up all my old whey before I open my new Nitrean.

wake-up shake- 1 scoop Whey, 1 scoop low-carb Metabolic Drive, 1/2c blueberries, creatine
multi/minerals, E & C, fish oil, fiber/calcium, Hot Rox

breakfast- steel cut oatmeal, milled flaxseed, banana

anti-catabolic shake- 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop Surge

lunch- chicken salad sandwich, carrots, med orange
fish oil, fiber/calcium, Hot Rox

dinner- ground turkey burger with swiss, spinach salad, sliced cucumbers, sugar free jello

Today is the same, except I dont know whats for dinner yet.

Wednesday.
03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I have been ignoring this log because I have been all over the place.

When the water is good, and the surf is big, it takes priority over everything.

Food is still clean, I have to resist the urge to cut more calories. I often find myself at the end of the day needing more, Ive been using Opticen if I dont get enough calories. Seems the cleaner I get, the easier it gets. Go me!

I still dont know how much I can bench because I dont have a spotter. Ive been lifting the damn thing anyway, but I dont know how to put it in a log because its been so random. I just read something, go try it and see if I can do it! Something must be happening because I am sore enough that its hard to shampoo my hair. I threw up my ETS today, but I have a weird reaction to menstrual cramps. I often vomit because of them, its not at all unusual. I want to figure out how microlactin works, and I fear that I am driving Chris crazy with my millions of questions so I will do the research and figure out what it does. I took another dose after losing my breakfast, I am pretty sore and took today off.

I spoke to an RKC certified kettlebell trainer today, the last time I spoke with him was quite a while ago and he remembered me. He says he likes my intensity and thats why he wants to work with me. He asked me why my decision was taking so long. I told him that I felt guilty about having duplicate gym memberships and my other gym runs out end of this month. He told me that if I wait another day it would be a sin. He's right, I am ready. Bring on the pain.

We meet tomorrow for a private session. As we were speaking about my goals and limitations he said "I have a weight bench, we will find out what you can press."
I asked him if he would help me incorporate bench, squat and deadlift into my routine and he just chuckled and made some comment about turning me into a competitor. I think he likes me!

My last trainer just did everything he could to convince me that Im fat and to get on the treadmill. I would tell him what I wanted to learn and he would just say "You gotta do the treadmill." I don't think he gave a damn about me at all. What part of 'can you teach me how to do a deadlift properly' means 'I wanna get on the treadmill'?

I think I've found my guy. He's a little bit expensive, but we seem to have a really good rapport. He is not too focused on KBs to offer me other types of help, I am thrilled! The very best part is that he seems to believe that not only can I do this, but that I will excel.

I hope I am right about him. I really need someone like that.

Wednesday.
03-05-2008, 12:03 PM
First real kettlebell class last night. I feel great! ETS really works, I am SO pleased. Chris has a new customer for sure.

My instructor last night is a 52 year old man who could pass for 35 if you ignore the grey hair. He is not a body builder but his body is so tight and compact that he looks bulletproof. He also had a terrible knee injury so I get NO sympathy from him. I love it!

We did a lot of KB work, but we also did some taekwondo kicks, a little ballet and some good old marine style calisthenics. He took a little extra time with me on squats because I told him I had flexibility issues. After watching me squat, he assured me that my flexibility was good enough to go for it. So we went for it. Today I have a sore ass but it still feels pretty good. I am going for a swim this afternoon to loosen everything up. I picked up a few weights this morning just to get the blood moving. I feel so damn macho. Grrr.

Im going to go reward myself with a pedicure. Cant be a tomboy ALL the time.

I still dont have a solid bench routine!! Dammit!! The guys at the gym will help me design one that suits me. When I do, I'll be able to post my progress in a way that makes sense.

I feel like I found my home.

I'd like to thank Sensei for encouraging me to go ahead and shell out the money and get it started.

I'd like to thank Bergs for being an excellent human being and a kick ass friend.

Wolverine
03-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Best of luck with the trainer and whatever program is set forth!!! You seem pretty damn fired up!

midee1
03-05-2008, 12:33 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Seems like you and my wife are close to the same age. She is getting back into it as well.

Good luck to ya!

Wednesday.
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I know I probably should have rested, but I was sore and moving helps.

I did about 30 minutes of Pavel's KB video. The 10# bell is now useless to me, the 15# will be by next week. Time for bigger bells. I guess I'll keep the little ones for teaching friends and in case I ever get injured and have to start over.
Beside, they look kinda cute all lined up like a little family. Sort of reminds me of those little Russian matryoshka dolls that nest inside each other.

Well that's progress at least, I need heavier weight. I wish I knew how to keep a decent log.