PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Question

9plus
02-09-2008, 08:53 PM
If I want to transition from a bulk to a cut without losing mass...do I just cut calories from 3500-->2000 (maintaining good protein content) and do aerobic exercise?

Just wondering if a severe calorie cut with an hr of aerobic exercise a day will cause me to lose both fat AND mass. Of course I want to lose the fat...but not the muscle mass.

Also, when transitioning to a cut, should I stay on a Starr 5x5 style workout, or change to lower weight/more reps?

Thanks for the help.

RichMcGuire
02-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Stay with your current routine and try your best to keep getting stronger.

Also, you do not want to drop your calories that fast. Id say start by lowering 250-500 a week until you start dropping weight slowly.

Do aerobics if you want - but its not needed.

Some people really dont lose muscle mass on a cut...some do.. see how it goes for you. Of course, how quickly you lose it can affect your progress as well. I personally couldnt work out for about 2 months a bit ago..at which point it was a cut. I didnt appear to lose any muscle at all and my lifts only went down due to muscle memory (they quickly went right back to normal within 2 weeks) and I dropped quite a bit of body fat.

But, on the oposite end, I struggle to add quality muscle. I really have to force feed ALL of my meals.

But everyone is different - maybe youll get lucky ;)

caseymajor
02-10-2008, 07:24 AM
What are you future goals? Do you plan on powerlifting/bodybuilding or just want to get cut for the summer time? If you want to keep most of your muscle then I wouldn't drop your cals that fast. I would try to cut 300cals per week intill you get to your desired weight. With the workout, if you are still trying to keep your size stick with 5x5workout but for me when getting ready to do a bodybuilding show I bump the reps up and cut the time down between sets so my heart rate stays high. Hope this helps, good luck

joelhall
02-10-2008, 07:40 AM
a drastic cut in calories will cause you to lose lean mass. if your body is happy with your current intake and youre not putting on loads of fat then dont adjust it but change where they come from, such as replacing refined sugars and additives, and up the aerobic work. drink more water too.