PDA

View Full Version : got stuck at the bottom on 300 today...what should I work on

jbrin0tk
02-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I went to the gym today to max out on the bench press, and I got 275x1, which is 25lbs more than I've ever lifted in my life on bench. I might've been able to get two, but I didn't try since I was going to try and go higher in weight. Anyways, with 275 the lift felt fairly easy, especially once I got two or three inches from my chest. When I tried 300, I got it off my chest and couldn't get it much farther. I wasn't too disappointed; I'll just work that much harder to get to 300. Hell, I didn't even think I'd get 275 today. However, I'm really starting to feel as though my sticking point is at the bottom of my bench press. This is because I generally tend to power through the lock out portion at the top of the lift, but the lift is harder at the bottom. Do you guys have any advice on what I can work on to improve out of the bottom? I've started to work with bands to work on my speed. If I understand correctly, the bottom portion of the lift involves the lats and delts a lot, no? Any exercises you guys know of that I can do to bring up my weak areas? Thanks, guys!

Travis Bell
02-10-2008, 06:11 AM
yes working on your lats and rear delts will definatly help. Also hit up some floor presses and begin using bands on your ME days also for your heavy singles. Mix up your bench grips as well on ME days (from week to week I mean)

joelhall
02-10-2008, 06:16 AM
anterior delts.

jbrin0tk
02-10-2008, 07:51 AM
A floor press is where you lay on the floor and do a dumbbell or barbell press (much like a bench press), but you let your triceps hit the floor and then push back to lockout, correct?

Detard
02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Dead press and paused presses are my suggestions.

jbrin0tk
02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
where can I find some links to videos or explanations of these exercises? Thanks, guys.

Travis Bell
02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
A floor press is where you lay on the floor and do a dumbbell or barbell press (much like a bench press), but you let your triceps hit the floor and then push back to lockout, correct?

you'll want to use a barbell with a close grip - probably thumb length from the smooth or pinkie on the ring

Here's a good vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEr39_Yz5-Y

Guido
02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Are you benching with a flat back or with an arch? Do you keep elbows flared out or tucked in? Do you touch high on your chest or lower? Do you keep your body stiff and really drive through the floor with your legs? Are you breathing in and out the whole time or do you take a deep breath before you bring the bar down? These are all things that will make or break your max bench attempts. Do the second things on each question and then tell us where your sticking point is. Then we might be able to help you better hit your weaknesses.

North
02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I agree with guido. If you do the second things on each question you could see a good 30-40 lbs once you get used to the form.