PDA

View Full Version : Commitment is the first step to it

MuscleRider
02-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Hello everyone. I decided to keep this journal to help track my own progress, and it's more fun to share it with others, especially this site which helped me a lot in my high school days. I'll be tracking my diet and my workouts.

Background: I am a third year student at UCLA. I am 5'9.5, 20, Korean, and as pure an ectomorph as they come. To put it in perspective, in 9-10th grade, I was 5'9 and 120 pounds, and most of those pounds were in my oversized Asian head. I began weightlifting in 11th grade, and was able to build up to 150, of which about half of it was fat. In college, I pushed this up to 158, but my focus waivered, and after a recent bout with a bad fever, I am now at 137, with a bodyfat of ~15%.

My Goals: To reach 150lb at around 10% bodyfat in by the end of April. This gives me about 12 weeks to fulfill this goal. Due to my emaciated state, I should recover my lost pounds rather quickly, but to achi eve the desired bodyfat, I will have to hit 155, then cut down. Cutting down is natural for my body, so that part shouldn't take too long.

My workout:
Monday
Deadlift
Barbell Rows
Pullups

Shrugs

Tuesday
Behind the Neck Press
Military Press
Lateral Raises
Rear Delt Machine

Bench Press
Dips
DB Press

Wednesday

Squats
Leg Extensions
Full Squat

Lying Leg Curls
Good Mornings

Thursday
Deadlift
Barbell Rows
Pullups

Shrugs

My back and traps will be emphasized, because they were always disproportionately underdeveloped. I also jog every other day, but it won't be enough to significantly affect my gains. In addition to this, I have a daily schedule of
1. That 8 minute abs video
2. 4 sets of Pullups
3. Lots of stretching

I pledge commitment to this workout and this journal! My progress and attitude towards my diet and workouts will be posted after every workout.

killxswitch
02-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Good luck with your goals.

MuscleRider
02-11-2008, 11:50 PM
argh, a bumpy beginning, but i am optimistic for tomorrow
Didn't get any sleep last night, but felt better than I expected. Unfortunately had to do chest today, cause of my gym conditions. I'll definitely be going to the gym at other times from now on. Gonna take Benadryl so I can knock out early today, gotta be energetic for tomorrow.

Bench is currently at 115. Was at 95 right after I got sick, so I guess I should be slightly thankful. My goal to reach for my bench is 145 by the end of April, which was around where I was at during my peak. Had a good workout, ate well today, just gotta finish doing my daily abs, stretching, and pullups and I am knocking out

MuscleRider
02-13-2008, 12:02 AM
good day today, both nutritionally and workout wise
Tried benchmarking my lifts today on top of my back routine, just to make sure I'm doing every exercise to its full potential.

I was definitely taking it too easy on the barbell rows, upped the weight and intensity considerably. Luckily my deadlifts were not too affected by my illness.

Barbell Rows: 105
Shrugs: 155
Military Press: 50
BB Curl: 25

MuscleRider
02-17-2008, 06:13 PM
It's Sunday now. I'll review this week.
Thursday night was leg day. I realized how pitiful my squats are, I could only do
125s. Did Air Alert with my roommates afterwards, leaving me completely tired, and my legs are still sore today, which is awesome. Yesterday was my "day off", ended up drinking when my roommate woke me from a nap with people and lots of alcohol. Tomorrow begins the new cycle. My weight is currently 140.5, lots of the fat is back. Probably gained around .5 lb of muscle. Here's to another .5!

MuscleRider
02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
this is a tough midterm week, and in my world, that means a bump in my bodybuilding journey. today was no different. Stayed up all night studying, and had a morning class so I didn't get any sleep until 11Am. Slept from 11AM to 4PM, studied, and decided to take some time to do my back workout.

Wasn't feeling 100%, but I still noticed some progress. My deadlifts at 185 were much easier, and I attempted 205 and did three of em. Unfortunately, my stamina was REALLY lacking today, and I couldn't do a single decent set of barbell rows. I won't be working out tomorrow because my midterm is Thursday morning, so I'll have to use Friday-Sunday to make up for it. I'll definitely do another back day this week to make up for today's crummy workout.

MuscleRider
02-22-2008, 11:11 PM
interseting week
like i said, because of midterms, my workout schedule got a bit skewed.
let's see, today i did bench press, shoulder press, and barbell rows.
Felt pretty good, and I should be doing legs Sunday.

everything does feel better. I will be strong in notime!

MuscleRider
02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
The first of my goals reached! Yesterday I was doing my first set of deadlifts, and realized they felt easier to me, so up goes my deadlift by 10 lb. This is the first of my goals that I must reach by next week.

Good workout, good diet. Will do my chest and shoulders tonight, and tomorrow is another midterm cramming day so no workout. My rows don't feel good however. I'll do my final testing to see my gains at the end of this week, and hopefully they will be good

MuscleRider
02-27-2008, 07:48 AM
bummed it today, will take tomorrow off to study for midterms. My #1 hindrance in getting gains would have to be my sleeping schedule, I take naps almost everyday and about 2 out of the 7 days in the week I stay up all night and sleep in the morning. This has to do with my personal life more than anything, living in college, studying for tests, seeking direction, girls, blah blah blah. I suppose I should have the discipline to wake up and sleep at set intervals but once that clock passes midnight it's like I become a different person. I am simply thankful that I have made gains in the last 3 weeks or so, and I love the feeling of sore muscles.

I realized that I bum it every weekend, not just in working out, but everything in general. I definitely need to maintain the discipline and busyness that I have mon-thurs. I need to work on not only juggling the different aspects of my life, but putting my 100% into all of them.

MuscleRider
03-06-2008, 01:59 AM
things are chugging along. got a chart up on my wall to keep good track of my gains without having to refer to my laptop. today i was doing deadlifts in the basement gym, when the lights went out. oy vey..

MuscleRider
03-14-2008, 06:10 AM
As this quarter comes to a close, time to re-adjust my workout. Next two weeks I am busy with Finals, but come spring break its time to start working hard again

MuscleRider
03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
trying out a new 3 week program. Workouts are based heavily on intensity and explosiveness, and are relatively low volume. Today was chest day. Did
3 sets of bench
1 set incline
2 sets dips

yes, it's incredibly low volume. The workout was featured in 2 articles on bodybuilding.com, and im basically just considering this an experiment. The workout focuses on two things.
1. Chest day must solely be chest day
2. workouts every 5 day

so I don't have a organized split, my workouts are all over the place. I worked out at max intensity, felt good. Bench is at 125, 10lb above where I left off.

MuscleRider
04-02-2008, 12:01 AM
today i did back. new plan is to do 50 reps of pullups every back day, and see how many sets it takes to complete that. today it took 8 sets. reps went something like8,7,6,7,5,6,5,6,6 , something like that. a lot of work to do. hopefully i can get it down to 4 sets eventually

deadlifts are still in good order, which i am very thankful for.

MuscleRider
04-04-2008, 01:17 AM
10-10-2-20 workout, a 30 minute leg workout that had me dead afterwards. It basically goes like 10 warm up reps of leg extensions, 10 regular reps, 2 heavy reps, 20 cool down reps. the 20 are by far the worst. Because the leg extension machine felt wack, I used the leg press instead.

This is followed by 2, 20 rep sets of squats. This also sucked really bad, but I felt I got a very good workout in a short amount of time. Good times were had by all. Following my schedule, I have a chest day on Saturday, I will note any improvements, even if tiny

MuscleRider
04-06-2008, 02:45 AM
did the chest workout today. strength definitely went up, by the next time i will hit 135 guaranteed. spotters are a must

MuscleRider
04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
BACK day today. Did 50 reps of pullups
took me 7 sets, which is an improvement from 8 i suppose. by the end of it i could hardly do em however.

deadlifts feel good. did 195 without feeling like death. I will try 200 next week, and should reach 205 soon

Also did barbell rows, at 95 lb. eh

ryuage
04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
great job... just keep at it.

MuscleRider
04-11-2008, 12:10 AM
forgot to post for a few days. did some arms and shoulders, but as my 3week period is focusing on chest, let us focus on chest.

Today was chest day, luckily had a workout partner. Did 135 without too much problem, and tried 145. Struggled through it, but by next week I should be able to do 4-5 reps of 145. My progress on my chest has been pretty astonishing. the article said gain 40lb on your chest in 3 weeks. well we all know this is impossible lol, but my results were still amazing. i believe a lot of it is mental. by the end of this, my strength in bench will have gone from 115 to 145, AMAZING!

motivated more than ever. tomorrow is back day. trying out random, experimental routines is fun

MuscleRider
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
a little messed up on my scheduling. came back to LA at 11pm last night, did 40 pullups and knocked out. today just finished doing a workout of deadlifts, bb rows, and shrugs. I was disappointed that i messed up my routine like this, but splitting it into two days offered the bonus of
1. doing my rows at max intensity and strength
2. getting some good shrugs in.

also, deadlifts are up to 205. felt really good about that, especially in this ridiculous heat. LA people know wt im talking about, its burning in socal.

MuscleRider
04-16-2008, 10:21 PM
today was chest day, and i believe it will be my final chest day for this every 5 days awkward split experiment im undergoing. The three weeks I've set aside for this chest routine is finally over. Final stats:
Begin @: 115lb (5 reps)
End @: 145lb (4reps)/ 135lb(6reps)

Overall gain of around 20 lb on my chest, I am quite happy about it. After this my gains will come much more slowly, and today I felt the creeping sense of boredom and tediousness. Tomorrow will be back/chest, and the day after will be legs, then I'm done for the week.

This cycle focused primarily on my chest, although I did see improvement in my other body parts. Next cycle I will focus HEAVILY on my back, hopefully I can get good results like i did with this. I have midterms to worry about also, so I'll design a new workout next Monday after my first midterm, and go from there. yeah!

MuscleRider
05-01-2008, 11:37 PM
deadlift days are memorable days.

new breakthrough, deadlifted 215. next week i should be able to deadlift 215 3sets 6 reps each

wore a wifebeater, and could see definite improvement. i cant wait to cut, my abs will show a lot from what ive seen. did some weakass shrugs cause i didnt note what my previous best was. overall good times.

some misc things:
1. try not to smoke when ur bulking! ive stopped buying cigs and i feel much healthier, albeit the cravings
2. if ur with a girl and u wanna get down, its ez if u have good abs. just have her feel ur stomach, something in her body will perk up right when she feels the ridges. simutaneously, go after her neck and ears and its over, good night, good morning, and good bye!

MuscleRider
05-21-2008, 10:13 PM
my legs are ready to explode