PDA

View Full Version : Scalloped Potatoes

Detard
02-11-2008, 04:49 PM
This is a recipe that my mom has been using forever and I finally learned how to make it tonight. I'm not sure if its special or if its just a basic recipe but this is what we did.

Large amount:

5 Large white potatoes peeled/washed and sliced very thin.

Mix milk, flour, and some onion sliced very small, in a pot (should be pretty runny), and bring it to a slow boil. Once it's boiling add in as much grated cheddar cheese as you want (I used alot since I love cheese) and mix it together, adding milk as needed so that it is the consistancy of yogurt (maybe a little more runny).

Grease a glass pan and spread a thin layer of this cheese sauce on the bottom and then put down a layer of the sliced potatoes. Keep repeating this until you've used up the potatoes and spread the rest of cheese sauce (if theres any left) on the top.

Bake on 400 for roughly an hour.

This is my favourite way of eating potatoes, along with roast potatoes + gravy.

This is my first time submitting a recipe so if i'm forgetting anything, lemme know and i'll try to clarify.

Invain
02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I miss my mom's cooking :(

bas2178
02-11-2008, 09:00 PM
This is a recipe that my mom has been using forever and I finally learned how to make it tonight. I'm not sure if its special or if its just a basic recipe but this is what we did.

Large amount:

5 Large white potatoes peeled/washed and sliced very thin.

Mix milk, flour, and some onion sliced very small, in a pot (should be pretty runny), and bring it to a slow boil. Once it's boiling add in as much grated cheddar cheese as you want (I used alot since I love cheese) and mix it together, adding milk as needed so that it is the consistancy of yogurt (maybe a little more runny).

Was there any butter in the sauce? The recipe I usually use is a couple of tablespoons of butter and a couple tablespoons of flour along with the milk & cheese.

And once you get the hang of doing the white sauce, you can add tons of different things to it like shrimp, mustard, etc.