PDA

View Full Version : Hmm... maybe using RESULTS would get me better results....

WBBIRL
02-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I couldn't resist the title, but this thread has nothing to do with the product. LOL made ya look...

So I'm 280 pounds now... somehow up 20 pounds yet I've been doing EVERYTHING right. Seems like I've added some muscle, maybe even leaned down.. recomp anyone?

Here's some pics. I'm very happy with what I see here and a lot happier then I thought I would be when I got a accurate scale and saw 280. I'm thinking 230 is the right weight for me to be at and I don't think I look bad at all... better infact then I did at 260 somehow.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Starpatr25/PICT0012-1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Starpatr25/PICT0005.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Starpatr25/PICT0004.jpg

Comments welcomed. That also means negative ones... thats why I asked for comments and not compliments. Don't be afraid to let me know how it is. I'm fat and I know that but if you'd like sprinkle in the random insult to motivate me even more in the gym.

Here's to scarring the **** out of curl jockeys summer of 08 bein lean n mean at 230 pounds.

ray34iyf
02-11-2008, 09:23 PM
What happened exactly that you gained 20 lbs? Were you trying to go on a quick bulk before resuming cutting? Anyways, I assume you're not counting calories if you think you're doing everything right and not losing weight?

Regardless, I'd keep lifting on a good routine and just focus on losing 1.5-2lbs a week. At your BF, it can be stupidly easy. You've got potential man, you just have to be consistent. Consistency is definitely your biggest assest right now. I'd also consider a PSMF. You could very easily drop 5-8 pounds of pure body fat in 2-3 weeks if you tried one.....******, I'd just PSMF down to 240 or so and then just go to a standard deficit to get real lean. You've just got to pick a plan of attack and then STICK TO IT.
Good luck.

Mike G
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey, you found some shorts. You're a big dude and at 230 should look pretty good, but in all honesty it's hard to really know until you get there. I personally think you looked a lot leaner in your last picture in your other thread, but you also had a shirt on, so that might not be accurate. The only thing that matters at this point, is that these are starting pictures and things will only improve from here.

WBBIRL
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't count em down to the dot but I never go above 3000... I usually estimate (I do look at labels and such... but I round a tad which MIGHT cost me 100 calories total). I stay in the 2200-2500 range and I was maintaining on 3500 back when I didn't have as much LBM as I do now.

I don't know why I put on 20 pounds but I think it wasn't as bad as I first thought it was.

WBBIRL
02-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey, you found some shorts. You're a big dude and at 230 should look pretty good, but in all honesty it's hard to really know until you get there. I personally think you looked a lot leaner in your last picture in your other thread, but you also had a shirt on, so that might not be accurate. The only thing that matters at this point, is that these are starting pictures and things will only improve from here.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Starpatr25/PICT0017.jpg

I took another shirted pic just for that reason. I do think it's the shirt lol. With a shirt on I don't look anywhere close to 280.

Mike G
02-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I think it is the shirt.

WBBIRL
02-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Yep...

I got some hard work a head of me but I really am getting excited seeing what I have to work with. I think it'd be a shame to let a frame like mine go to waste.

RedSpikeyThing
02-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Like I"ve said before, you carry weight well. You've got a fair amount of fat to lose, but you also have a LOT of muscle and a lot of strength to go with it.

Stumprrp
02-12-2008, 12:13 AM
yeah irl you really dont look that bad man, very big arms and shoulders under that man.

Invain
02-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Since I know you don't mind criticism, I find it very hard to believe you gained 20 pounds while staying around 3k calories, and especially at your weight. Either you didn't actually gain 20 pounds and your scale/something is off, or you were not eating 3k calories like you thought. Unless it was some crazy body recomp like you suggested, but 20 pounds worth still sounds rediculous.

How long have you been cutting now? I'm too lazy to search right now, but at what weight did you start out? I know you've lost a good amount all ready, but you still have a ways to go.

Coke
02-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Glad you put up the pics, luvin that t-shirt.

I think you'll really have fun playing around and assessing things once you get past the 260lb mark.

bill
02-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Not sure how cardio your doing but setting goals with that just like wts, seems to always help me. Tangible things you can really keep track of so it's harder to take easy days.

WBBIRL
02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Since I know you don't mind criticism, I find it very hard to believe you gained 20 pounds while staying around 3k calories, and especially at your weight. Either you didn't actually gain 20 pounds and your scale/something is off, or you were not eating 3k calories like you thought. Unless it was some crazy body recomp like you suggested, but 20 pounds worth still sounds rediculous.

How long have you been cutting now? I'm too lazy to search right now, but at what weight did you start out? I know you've lost a good amount all ready, but you still have a ways to go.

I didn't gain 20... I probably gained more like a little over 10.

I was 260 when I started back to school and that scale at the gym was never right. It's also not hard to believe some of it was muscle since I just started back lifting heavy for the last 6-8 weeks.

Still gaining any weight and looking better then I did before is crazy to me. I thought I'd look like the state puff marshmellow man.

WBBIRL
02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
To add to this I'm going to start tracking on fitday. I'm thinking 2000 per day and I'll do the best I can to control the macros.

Lifting is still the modified westside program and I'll be doing cardio 3x per week.

Tofer
02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
You need to start doing something different, man.

It's been over two years now of you talking about how you're going to drop the weight or whatever. You need to stop saying things like "you hold the weight well" too because that's just crap. You've gotta be over 30%, and if I'm allowed to be blunt, you look fat.

I think your problem is a complete lack of discipline and restraint. It would also appear that you have a very tough time sticking to goals you set out to attain, and staying consistent with a diet/work out plan. Less than 3000 calories a day? I very seriously doubt it.

I've been nice and encouraging in threads you've made in the past, but I'm not going to bother wasting my time anymore. If I had to put money down on it, I would probably bet that you're never going to get down to a reasonable size.

Sorry bro.

Detard
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM

It's been over two years now of you talking about how you're going to drop the weight or whatever. You need to stop saying things like "you hold the weight well" too because that's just crap. You've gotta be over 30%, and if I'm allowed to be blunt, you look fat.

I think your problem is a complete lack of discipline and restraint. It would also appear that you have a very tough time sticking to goals you set out to attain, and staying consistent with a diet/work out plan. Less than 3000 calories a day? I very seriously doubt it.

I've been nice and encouraging in threads you've made in the past, but I'm not going to bother wasting my time anymore. If I had to put money down on it, I would probably bet that you're never going to get down to a reasonable size.

Sorry bro.

Agreed 100%

Invain
02-12-2008, 08:05 PM

Sorry bro.

Honestly WBB, I wanted to say the exact same thing but decided to tone it down.Time to step it up bro. You've been on these boards for quite a while now.

WBBIRL
02-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Sorry bro.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

I've been under 3000 calories per day almost every single day since january 1st. And the better part of those days (maybe 3 days I was up around 3500-4000) I was at 2000-2500.

Believe what you want about that but its the truth. I also have better things to do with my time then to come on to a message board and lie.

I do look fat, I've even said that. Your right and you were allowed to say whatever you felt.

A complete lack of discipline didn't get me from 320 to 260. But being lazy did get me from 260 back up to 280.

I make more an effort then a lot of people. I simply can't eat under 2000 calories. I get way too hungry and end up binging eating as much as 4000 when I try that. I have a slow metabolism for my size, I know this because I HAVE been under 3000 calories for the last 6 weeks or so and have lost only about 6-7 pounds.

I have faith in myself though even if some of you don't. But I can't blame you... I've been talking a good game for a long time.

ray34iyf
02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Tofer echoed exactly how I feel. No more of this, "I've got potential, blah blah blah". It's very simple. Start counting cals..drop until you're losing reasonable weight and drop again when weight loss stalls...then you can start looking at refeeds and such, but at your weight, you'll be ok with that for a while.

ray34iyf
02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
And if you're really having trouble with hunger...start IF-ing. My maintenance is very low and I use to have terrible trouble eating so little, but when I started eating IF style I have no hunger or cravings at all.

borracho
02-13-2008, 09:31 AM
How exactly are you eating IRL? I know you are in school..do you take food with you? When I had day classes (I ahve nothing but night class now) I would take a protein shake and a container of either beans/beef or chicken/veggies to school with me along with a pbj and otehr stuff to eat all day...

what do you do? can you give us a lay out of a typical day?

Lones Green
02-13-2008, 11:13 AM
And if you're really having trouble with hunger...start IF-ing. My maintenance is very low and I use to have terrible trouble eating so little, but when I started eating IF style I have no hunger or cravings at all.

why would you be on a cut?

dpdd
02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Whats eating "IF style" mean? Soory if its a dumb question :/

ray34iyf
02-13-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not. I'm using it for maintenance at the moment. I've got mono and am trying to keep what little muscle I have. :/

jAy_Dub
02-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Like Tofer and others said, you need to step it up. I've seen alot of your threads and to be honest it doesnt look like you've gotten anywhere. Sure you've lost some weight, but you can't sit there and say "I'm doing good cuz I've lost 40 lbs." In what amount of time? You have to keep it going man. You should have no trouble at all getting down to atleast 18-20%. Thats when it will get much harder for you.

WBBIRL
02-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I know for a fact I stay under 3000 calories. Usually 2000-2500 at most. I don't track mainly because my macro's are horrible and I know it. There's nothing within my power to get me able to eat 200+ grams of protein day in day out... other then that the calorie range is fine. I'm not asking you to believe me on how much I'm eating... I don't care if you do or don't believe me. Its the truth and only I have to know that.

I work hard in the gym and I make a good effort at cardio 3 times per week.

I am eating more IF style these days. I don't eat until 2-3 PM and I try to eat something small like 300-400 calories before I lift and then two meals just shy of 1000 calories one at around 6 P.M. and the other at about 9 P.M.

IF is a good way for me to eat but I'm still not over being hungry a lot. I weigh 280 pounds and 2000 calories is a small amount for someone my size yet the weight doesn't come off as fast as it should.

All I can account it to is having a ******edly slow metabolism.

These facts are why I think I will be able to do this, even if it tames some time:

I've given up drinking completely. Two months ago I'd have LAUGHED my ass off at the idea of giving up booze to lose weight.

I've limited my eating out from once a week to once a month.

I sat last night in front of 4 pans of very good very fresh pizza and ate none of it.

I do more cardio now then I ever thought I would do.

I track calories, I just don't write them in on fitday due to the macro's. I'd have everyone saying the reason I'm not losing is because I'm not eating enough protein.

Cutting = expending more then you consume

In a perfect world where I could choose whatever I wanted to eat. I'd eat nothing but chicken, tuna, leaner cuts of beef, and eggs for the most part. I haven't that choice.

I stay away from carb loaded foods, simple sugars and such like soda and cereal but I don't have the volume of protein rich foods that people say I should have.

I do the best I can. I know that I have a lot of fat to lose but I also know that not too many other people I know are 280 at 5'9 and don't look like a big round swiss ball.

This is good though, motivational. My dad told me I'd never press three plates on the bench after he got stapled with 225. Brought a **** eating grin to my face when I did what he claimed impossible.

I didn't put these pics up to say damn I look amazing at 280 I should stay there. I put em up because one their good motivation not to cheat on the diet and two I have a damn big frame. For as "bad" as a few of you think I look I have a V going on (with the exception of some love handles) at 280 pounds. That means to me I have serious lean mass under the soft stuff.

But I've made my points, others have voiced their opinions. The only thing left to donow is to wait a few months and see who's right.

dxiw
02-13-2008, 03:06 PM
There's nothing within my power to get me able to eat 200+ grams of protein day in day out...

I'm sorry but this just sounds ridiculous. Your telling me you can't get off your ass and spend 5-10 minutes grilling a big chicken breast?

Even without chicken, let me break it down:
wake up - drink a nitrean shake with breakfast
late night - drink a nitrean shake after dinner
= ~100 grams of protein right there
Time to prepare both shakes combined: 30 seconds
Time to consume: 1 minute

Now I know you have 1.5 minutes in your "busy" schedule.

Stop convincing yourself you can't do things - thats why your not making progress. If you care, you can do it. You have a mouth and two arms. Use them.

AKMass
02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry but this just sounds ridiculous. Your telling me you can't get off your ass and spend 5-10 minutes grilling a big chicken breast?

Even without chicken, let me break it down:
wake up - drink a nitrean shake with breakfast
late night - drink a nitrean shake after dinner
= ~100 grams of protein right there
Time to prepare both shakes combined: 30 seconds
Time to consume: 1 minute

Now I know you have 1.5 minutes in your "busy" schedule.

Stop convincing yourself you can't do things - thats why your not making progress. If you care, you can do it. You have a mouth and two arms. Use them.

I tend to agree with this...Unless you have monetary constraints. I used to think eating 150 grams of protein a day was a lot, but add an extra scoop or two of protein to your shakes, and it's pretty easy.

WBBIRL
02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I have MASSIVE monetary constraints.

I have so little money it's not even funny. I cannot afford to buy either chicken or nitrean. Not with a car payment, car insurance and having to fork over for gas to drive 20 miles each way to college 3 of the 5 days of the week.

It's not that I don't know how. It's that this stuff costs money, and my parents will not change the way they shop. I'd happily grill 4 chicken breasts a day and eat that, fact of the matter is I can't afford $5 worth of chicken each day. Right now I can't afford any. Most weeks my parents have to help me with gas so I can afford to get to school.

Believe me... if money were no object I'd simply down 3-4 nitrean shakes a day and be done with worry about protein.

ray34iyf
02-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Are you working?

borracho
02-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I am eating more IF style these days. I don't eat until 2-3 PM ...

Not sure if I read that correctly...you dont eat anything untill 2-3pm? WTF? That is crazy.

I've given up drinking completely. Two months ago I'd have LAUGHED my ass off at the idea of giving up booze to lose weight.

Quite proud of you here....though I must ask a question. Before when you were going out and partying..you claimed to spend ~$50 on alcohol/entertainment. How did you have money to waste like that but you cant go to sams/costco/walmart and pick up a few extra bags of chicken?

whiteman90909
02-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Post a quick breakdown of what you buy to eat during a month. If you can get food, it's just a matter of getting the right type of food.

Tuna is 89 cents a can dude. Thats like 30g protein right there.

Chicken breasts are dirt cheap if you buy them in bulk.

If you can somehow get you hands on a crockpot (parents? garage sale? someone who never uses it? craigslist?) you can stretch your budget out by buying really cheap chunks of meat, and making them tender enough to eat in the crockpot. It's easy, and it takes literally 5 mins to prepare.

If you don't have a job, get one. If you do, get a new job at a grocery store or with a butcher, and quit your old one.

WBBIRL
02-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Are you working?

Not alot

Not sure if I read that correctly...you dont eat anything untill 2-3pm? WTF? That is crazy.

Quite proud of you here....though I must ask a question. Before when you were going out and partying..you claimed to spend ~$50 on alcohol/entertainment. How did you have money to waste like that but you cant go to sams/costco/walmart and pick up a few extra bags of chicken?

I got a $1100 refund from school for some grants. I spent most of it on paying ahead car insurance and car payments and then bought a little bit of clothes that I needed and wasted about $100 on alcohol.

Post a quick breakdown of what you buy to eat during a month. If you can get food, it's just a matter of getting the right type of food.

Tuna is 89 cents a can dude. Thats like 30g protein right there.

Chicken breasts are dirt cheap if you buy them in bulk.

If you can somehow get you hands on a crockpot (parents? garage sale? someone who never uses it? craigslist?) you can stretch your budget out by buying really cheap chunks of meat, and making them tender enough to eat in the crockpot. It's easy, and it takes literally 5 mins to prepare.

If you don't have a job, get one. If you do, get a new job at a grocery store or with a butcher, and quit your old one.

Tuna is 50 cents a can here. That makes it almost no cheaper then chicken.

I don't buy my own food. I can't afford it. Not with everything else.

I have to pick and choose the best I can for whats provided for me. I know how I need to eat and I know how I can eat... slightly different things at this point in time.

I'll do my best until I can control my own diet better. I'd love nothing better then to eat 2-3 pounds of chicken per day and fill in the rest with omega 3's and a tiny bit of carbs. Until I can afford that or my parents magically one day decide to buy the food I need all I can do is my best.

WBBIRL
02-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Honestly this thread has to sound like a bunch of excuses.

Those who've read my past journal (most of you) know that I had this battle with my parents twice and lost both times. They refuse to believe that I need to eat different foods to drop the fat.

I can't get the types and amounts of foods I need that way. Even working I can't afford it. Simply because going to school full time and working full time would make me go out of my mind. I'd have no time to even ****.

Going to school 5 hours a day plus working 8 hours a day leaves me with just about enough time to commute and eat. Not giving me any time at all to lift, do homework or have anything that resembles a pathetic life.

Working part time won't net m enough to pay my bills plus afford my own food. Now when my car's paid off here in a few months things will be different. I'll have $120 extra per month (plus I'll be off for summer break) so I'll be saving a lot in gas and can work more. Then things may be different.

pulse
02-13-2008, 05:10 PM
It sounds to me like you have a lot more to figure out then how many calories to consume a day. Between juggling school, work, lifting, and time for yourself. You're still living with your parents right? I find it hard to believe that you have so many bills that you can't afford a few cans of tuna each week.

And you say you get too hungry eating x-amount of calories that it causes you to eat more? I have never had to cut, but I figure if your cutting you might have to put up with being hungry sometimes, no?

pinky8713
02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
How much are your other payments other than your 120 dollar car payment?

Invain
02-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Are your parents that strapped for money as well that they won't buy you the foods you want? You'd think your mom would do anything she could to help you lose weight. I understand my mom bitching when I used to want 6 gallons of whole milk a week because I was bulking, but you're pretty overweight. Explain to your mom what you're doing and ask for some extra stuff like bulk chicken, etc.

Nosaj
02-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Damn bro, you sound like a damn excuse machine. Don't you have a microsoft Zune or whatever it's called? Sell that and buy some food. You can't lose weight because you can't get your diet in check? This is beyond pathetic. I hate when people say they don't have time or money for the gym, or in this case diet. Diet should be everyone's #1 priority as far as income goes.

#1: Get a job, stop being lazy. If your parent's won't buy food, make it happen.
#2: Plan a diet (get feedback from wbb to approve it) and stick to it. This includes writing it down everyday, 6 meals to up your metabolism, etc.
#3: Get dedicated, make it happen.

You seem more than happy to dish out the excuses, but why don't you just make the effort to make it happen. If your only real expense is driving to school, sell your car and get a diesel engine and make your own biodiesel.

WBBIRL
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
It sounds to me like you have a lot more to figure out then how many calories to consume a day. Between juggling school, work, lifting, and time for yourself. You're still living with your parents right? I find it hard to believe that you have so many bills that you can't afford a few cans of tuna each week.

And you say you get too hungry eating x-amount of calories that it causes you to eat more? I have never had to cut, but I figure if your cutting you might have to put up with being hungry sometimes, no?

How much are your other payments other than your 120 dollar car payment?

I spend $40 a week in gas every week.

I spend $120 a month on the car payment.

I spend in the neighborhood of $100 a month on things I need for school.

Car insurance is a little over $100 a month.

If I try to cut at 1500 calories the hunger drives me mad. I'm hungry both when I wake up and when I go to bed. If I'm hungry before bed it takes hours to sleep. I can't cut at 1500 calories unless it was %100 chicken.

Are your parents that strapped for money as well that they won't buy you the foods you want? You'd think your mom would do anything she could to help you lose weight. I understand my mom bitching when I used to want 6 gallons of whole milk a week because I was bulking, but you're pretty overweight. Explain to your mom what you're doing and ask for some extra stuff like bulk chicken, etc.

My parents are that ignorant (read misinformed and too bull headed to be reasoned with) that they won't buy the foods I NEED.. not want. I tried at first... 30$ a week and I'd put in some on my own to keep things like fat free cottage cheese, chicken, tuna, and eggs (for hard boiling). She wouldn't give me 30$, they wouldn't give me any. They have it in their head that I need to eat less and not any differently to lose weight.

At 2000 calories a day the stuff they prepare leaves me wanting to chew my wooden bed apart each night before bed.

Damn bro, you sound like a damn excuse machine. Don't you have a microsoft Zune or whatever it's called? Sell that and buy some food. You can't lose weight because you can't get your diet in check? This is beyond pathetic. I hate when people say they don't have time or money for the gym, or in this case diet. Diet should be everyone's #1 priority as far as income goes.

#1: Get a job, stop being lazy. If your parent's won't buy food, make it happen.
#2: Plan a diet (get feedback from wbb to approve it) and stick to it. This includes writing it down everyday, 6 meals to up your metabolism, etc.
#3: Get dedicated, make it happen.

You seem more than happy to dish out the excuses, but why don't you just make the effort to make it happen. If your only real expense is driving to school, sell your car and get a diesel engine and make your own biodiesel.

Not to be rude, but this has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read in a LONG time. I mean that with 100% respect and instead of just "bashing" you'll I'll elaborate.

I have a job, working part time is the best I can do with school. I'm sorry if your some kind of inhumane cyborg who had time to work full time and go to school full time while keeping a 3.5 gpa that I need for my grants and scholarship... I'm not one of those people. That part time job money gets eaten REAL fast without wasting any of it.

The zune is the only thing that makes doing an hour to an hour and a half of cardio even possible. I can't stand doing it without the zune... its so borning that after 20 min I have to do something else.

PLUS the zune cost me $200 brand new. It's a first gen zune and I'd be lucky to get $150 after shipping. That's 300 cans of tuna and now I can't stand to do more then 30 min of cardio even trying to force myself.

Let's just forget the fact of not being able to do alot of cardio without the zune... that even sounds bad to me.

Lets look at the fact of what do I do when that $150 bites the dust VERY quickly.

I know better then most on WBB about nutrition. Knowing is only half the battle.. there are but a mere dozen members that I'd concede to in the fact that they know more about nutrition then I do.

If I lived in some magical land where food was free and I had everything available to me then this post wouldn't exist and I wouldn't be 70 pounds overweight.

Call them excuses all you want. You have no idea how bad I hate being fat. Say what you will. I've had to deal with it my whole life and it's a burden I want to be free of once and for all.

Selling my car (which wouldn't get me even what I paid for it) to get a diesel engine and making my own biodiesel isn't a practical idea at ALL. How much money would I really be saving once you count my losses on the car and whatever the new investments would be. Whats it cost to set yourself up to even make bio diesel?

I don't want to stay fat. I work hard in the gym and I exercise as much restraint as possible. It's damn impressive to me when I gave up drinking and can sit infront of all the horrible foods I love and not eat any. I make the effort. My efforts are hindered by my situations.

Now to be honest lets clear some things up.

I started going to the gym in January and I was almost 290. I didn't want to say that on the forums because I was embarrassed. I figured hell in 6 weeks I'll be down nearly to 270 and it won't be an issue. Six weeks go by and I'm down to 280.. not that good of progress really. I lost about 8 pounds.

I know regardless of what people think that my diet, at least calorie wise, has been under control with the few exceptions. I need to work those out by they are by far in the minority these days.

I know what needs to be done. I know what I can do and what is in my power and I appreciate all the advice given. I can only fight this war with the weapons I can provide for myself. I lost 60 pounds before without worrying about macros at all so I know they aren't the end all be all of weight loss. I just have to make due with what I have and buckle down.

The IF style of eating is probably going to help a lot.

ray34iyf
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Irl, what's the average day look like for you diet wise....I'm kinda curious, because if you can go from 260-280, you'd have to be eating quite a few cals..and if you can afford enough cals to gain 20lbs, you should atleast be able to afford enough to cut.

ray34iyf
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
But seriously, what do your morning, lunch, dinner, and snacks look like?

WBBIRL
02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Today for example:

3 egg omlette with cheese (1 slice) and mushrooms
1 flavorsplash water (0 cals I think)

That was at 10 AM at UPJ

Got home from school ate

2 chicken thighs (we had chicken for dinner)
4 mini perogis (small)

went to a pool league meeting, shot a few rounds of pool... spent 1$ in quaters and kept the table for a good 2 hours. Ate a bag of pretzles while I was there.. 300 calories

Got home, dinner was a pizza so I ate a slice and had 2 protein shakes

I'm almost out of protein. It was a 5 pound tub given to me by a friend... his parents think its bad for him and they wouldn't let him use it. I have about 10 shakes left.

Other then 10 fish oils, a mutli and 1.5 gallons of water that was it for today.

WBBIRL
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Irl, what's the average day look like for you diet wise....I'm kinda curious, because if you can go from 260-280, you'd have to be eating quite a few cals..and if you can afford enough cals to gain 20lbs, you should atleast be able to afford enough to cut.

I can eat enough **** food, we have no shortage of cookies and cakes and chips and candy and all that other good tasting quick easy to eat foods. I could easily get back up to 320 if I wanted too with the amount of garbage food in this house.

I just can't seem to find enough food to cleanly fill out a 2000 calorie daily diet.

Nosaj
02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
You already admitted to ray you don't work a lot, and from your statement to me, you clearly can't handle more than what you're already doing. I'm not going to bother with an extensive post as I feel it's a waste of my time. I will say this though, if you can't get your diet in order, regardless if it's due to money or not, how do you expect to achieve any success at bodybuilding? You don't need to answer this, I'm sure it's probably the second dumbest thing you've ever read.

Best of luck with the weight loss.

ray34iyf
02-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah man. If you really want it bad enough, you'll find a way to get it done. Like someone else suggested, I'm sure you can afford a few 50 cent tuna cans per day....and if you can get enough protein that way, fill in the rest with the healthiest food that's available...

This whole situation is simliar to those middle age folk who constantly complain about not having enough time to work out and that's why they're fat. If you really want it, make it happen, simple as that.

leetuck
02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Sell the car and cycle to college ... that way you can buy chicken and do loads of cardio. If you want it that bad ... you will find a way.

Excuses are like arseholes ... everybody has one!

samj
02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
i agree with leetuck thats a good idea. I think bodybuilding is not for you and you dont have alot of muscle under that fat but thats my opinion

WBBIRL
02-14-2008, 01:20 PM
You already admitted to ray you don't work a lot, and from your statement to me, you clearly can't handle more than what you're already doing. I'm not going to bother with an extensive post as I feel it's a waste of my time. I will say this though, if you can't get your diet in order, regardless if it's due to money or not, how do you expect to achieve any success at bodybuilding? You don't need to answer this, I'm sure it's probably the second dumbest thing you've ever read.

Best of luck with the weight loss.

I don't work alot... but I work as much as I can. That means part time... about 20 hours per week.

Yeah man. If you really want it bad enough, you'll find a way to get it done. Like someone else suggested, I'm sure you can afford a few 50 cent tuna cans per day....and if you can get enough protein that way, fill in the rest with the healthiest food that's available...

This whole situation is simliar to those middle age folk who constantly complain about not having enough time to work out and that's why they're fat. If you really want it, make it happen, simple as that.

Your right, I will find a way to make it happen.

Sell the car and cycle to college ... that way you can buy chicken and do loads of cardio. If you want it that bad ... you will find a way.

Excuses are like arseholes ... everybody has one!

If I sell the car I'd have to leave for college over an hour and a half early and spend about 3 times the amount of time I do now traveling. Thats not practicle at all.

i agree with leetuck thats a good idea. I think bodybuilding is not for you and you dont have alot of muscle under that fat but thats my opinion

Bodybuilding might not be for me... but I also never wanted to bodybuild. I want to get leaner. Your allowed to have an opinion, but for having so little muscle I'm stronger then you are and you seem to have a good bit of muscle.

leetuck
02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
If I sell the car I'd have to leave for college over an hour and a half early and spend about 3 times the amount of time I do now traveling. Thats not practicle at all.

All i'm gonna say is when i was in my last year at Uni (which was hard) I worked at a school part time ( 20 hours a week) and I started up my own business all at the same time .... it was the hardest thing I've ever done and was draining both physically and mentally. But you know what, I did it because it was that important! Anyway, if you try hard for a couple of years, the motivation will stay with you forever.

WBBIRL
02-14-2008, 02:40 PM
All of the advice in this thread is spot on. I need to quit making excuses and get things done.

This thread wasn't made to pat myself on the back and say I can stay at 280 because I look relatively good or it's okay that I gained back 20 pounds.

I wouldn't be in the gym busting my balls if I thought I was in a position to hit the cruise control.

This thread was made because at 280 pounds the presence of size I have is in my opinion impressive. Show me another 280 pound man (who isn't a pro body builder) thats 5'9 that has that kind of shape.

All the other people I know in this area anyhow, that are even close to my height and weight look like swiss balls and have no appearance of lean mass anywhere on their bodies. Thats why I made this thread.

Sometime in june when I post new pics either I or half the people in this thread will eat their words.

pinky8713
02-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Make everybody else eat their words man.

Patz
02-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Today for example:

3 egg omlette with cheese (1 slice) and mushrooms
1 flavorsplash water (0 cals I think)

That was at 10 AM at UPJ

Got home from school ate

2 chicken thighs (we had chicken for dinner)
4 mini perogis (small)

went to a pool league meeting, shot a few rounds of pool... spent 1$ in quaters and kept the table for a good 2 hours. Ate a bag of pretzles while I was there.. 300 calories

Got home, dinner was a pizza so I ate a slice and had 2 protein shakes

I'm almost out of protein. It was a 5 pound tub given to me by a friend... his parents think its bad for him and they wouldn't let him use it. I have about 10 shakes left.

Other then 10 fish oils, a mutli and 1.5 gallons of water that was it for today.

I don't know what's in your shakes besides whey (or how many scoops is a shake), but that's probably around 2000 calories..roughly. If you ate like that all the time, you'd cut. If the thighs were fried, your calories continue to go up, though. Count EVERY bite..know what's in EVERYTHING. Divide things into accurate servings. Don't guess.

You're not getting a ton of food protein, there, though. This is just me, but I have LOTS better results cutting fat and keeping muscle if I stay away from supplements entirely. I eat 7oz tuna with bbq sauce, 10 crackers, and a serving of almonds as a meal like it's going out of style. My coworkers are sick of the smell..lol Solid food (again, in my experience) is more satiating, and seems to last longer in me. I'm less sore after workouts, etc.

Leave the pizza alone. One slice is 300 completely useless calories, on average. Get a pack of deli turkey, and stack up a big sandwich with a tiny bit of mayo (half a serving) on whole grain bread. Be creative, and keep easy food supplies around. I know what it's like to be surrounded by delicious, bad stuff.

Patz
02-14-2008, 04:59 PM
. Diet should be everyone's #1 priority as far as income goes.

No truer words have ever been spoken. I spend a ton on groceries, buying free range eggs, ground buffalo, smart balance, pack after endless pack of vacuum-sealed tuna and chicken, whole grain EVERYTHING, 2% cheese, deli meat. Crystal Light must have gold dust sprinkled in it...the bastards!

Junk food is cheap.

What you NEED, just for good health, is expensive. But, it's as good an investment as there is. I wouldn't care to work overtime to keep the grocery list I've built up over the last few months.

Jabberwocky
02-14-2008, 07:20 PM
$36 a week, thats what I was spending on groceries a week when I was your size and cutting hardcore. I was attending classes full time and working two days a week. Oats, natural peanut butter, whey protein and tuna, this is what I lived on.

I went to the gym everyday, I did cardio every day no fewer than 50 minutes and I followed a structured diet every day. I ate the same food at the same time everyday, I worked out at the same time everyday. When I was in class or home bored I would tweak my routine and research new ones. When I was taking a dump I was reading the newest issue of MD. I would go out on the weekends, but the majority of my time was devoted to my weight loss. Over the course of 9 months I lost over 90 pounds. You gotta want it, you have to do it for yourself and you have to be prepared to make no excuses.

chris mason
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
$36 a week, thats what I was spending on groceries a week when I was your size and cutting hardcore. I was attending classes full time and working two days a week. Oats, natural peanut butter, whey protein and tuna, this is what I lived on.

I went to the gym everyday, I did cardio every day no fewer than 50 minutes and I followed a structured diet every day. I ate the same food at the same time everyday, I worked out at the same time everyday. When I was in class or home bored I would tweak my routine and research new ones. When I was taking a dump I was reading the newest issue of MD. I would go out on the weekends, but the majority of my time was devoted to my weight loss. Over the course of 9 months I lost over 90 pounds. You gotta want it, you have to do it for yourself and you have to be prepared to make no excuses.

and there you have it...

Well said!

ballin21
02-14-2008, 11:18 PM
If you are looking for some more motivation...

I am a full time college student, and I am an owner of 3 businesses. Yes it was tough at first, but once u get used to it, it becomes easier than not doing anything at all.

There are NO valid excuses.

No money? become financially educated (Rich dad poor dad)
No time? Make time
No motivation? Listen to Tony Robbins

Its all up to YOU

HahnB
02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
I was skinny and lifted for a good 3 years before I dedicated myself to making progress. It's tough at first, and I can imagine it's 10x harder to drop a ton of weight than it is to put on a ton of weight. I've done small cuts before, and can't imagine the dedication it must take to lose 100lbs as some people have done-it could make a man go crazy. On a fixed budget, I'm sure it's even harder-simply because without enough disposable income your diet, as you've already stated, is going to get boring really fast. Try to improve your financial situation anyway you can, let your parents read this thread. Do whatever it takes.

WBBIRL
02-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't know what's in your shakes besides whey (or how many scoops is a shake), but that's probably around 2000 calories..roughly. If you ate like that all the time, you'd cut. If the thighs were fried, your calories continue to go up, though. Count EVERY bite..know what's in EVERYTHING. Divide things into accurate servings. Don't guess.

You're not getting a ton of food protein, there, though. This is just me, but I have LOTS better results cutting fat and keeping muscle if I stay away from supplements entirely. I eat 7oz tuna with bbq sauce, 10 crackers, and a serving of almonds as a meal like it's going out of style. My coworkers are sick of the smell..lol Solid food (again, in my experience) is more satiating, and seems to last longer in me. I'm less sore after workouts, etc.

Leave the pizza alone. One slice is 300 completely useless calories, on average. Get a pack of deli turkey, and stack up a big sandwich with a tiny bit of mayo (half a serving) on whole grain bread. Be creative, and keep easy food supplies around. I know what it's like to be surrounded by delicious, bad stuff.

The shakes are whey only in water, chicken was roasted in the oven in some chicken broth. I'd do better without the shakes and eating chicken/tuna instead I'll agree. The shakes will be going out the door soon simply because the whey I was given is almost gone and I can't afford more. I have $5.11 in my bank account now... luckily I won $40 from some drunk moron at the bar last night shooting pool. Before everyone jumps down my throat... I drank nothing all night and I shoot in a league in which my dues are paid because of how good a shot I am. The team needed more good shooters and offered to let me shoot for free if I shot for them. After league was over this guy from the other team starts talking crap saying how I wasn't that good... told him to put up or shut up and ended up taking him 4 racks in a row $10 each.

I'm looking at another job with slightly more hours with a pay increase of about a dollar an hour. If I get that things should improve.

I was skinny and lifted for a good 3 years before I dedicated myself to making progress. It's tough at first, and I can imagine it's 10x harder to drop a ton of weight than it is to put on a ton of weight. I've done small cuts before, and can't imagine the dedication it must take to lose 100lbs as some people have done-it could make a man go crazy. On a fixed budget, I'm sure it's even harder-simply because without enough disposable income your diet, as you've already stated, is going to get boring really fast. Try to improve your financial situation anyway you can, let your parents read this thread. Do whatever it takes.

Things getting boring isn't really a factor. I could eat chicken for every meal of the day for months if I had it available to me.

I'm down 4 pounds since I last weighed in.. dunno why but now I'm 276 in clothes and shoes. January 1st I was nearly 290 and I know not all of it was fat that I lost. I can cut without having 200+ g of protein in my diet or without having the foods I want to cut on. It might take longer and I might lose a little more muscle mass but I can put it back on. I bulk very easily so I'm not worried about that.

I do plan on making a few people eat their words but until I do it's just a nice thought.

dxiw
02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Here's a price breakdown of protein:

Get your 200grams a day as cheap as:
http://www.thedanexperiment.com/gallery2/d/2264-1/protein_price.gif

WBBIRL
02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I can get cans of tuna for 50 cents with 32.5 grams of protein per can... = about 1.54 cents per gram of protein.

I'd be eating six cans a day ($3 a day every day) and getting the other 5 grams from something else.

frugality isn't an issue... funding is. Thanks though thats a nice chart.

mister manager
02-16-2008, 01:30 AM
a calorie is a calorie
as long as your in a deficit you will lose.
it doesnt matter if you are eating 200g of protein or not.

i think i read somewhere that you said you dont count your calories, which leads me to believe you have no idea what your 280 pound 5'9 maintenance is. I am going to take a guess and say that 2000 calories is too low for you to cut on. It is possible to eat to few calories and have the opposite effect that you want.

my advice to you is to start running. and no i dont mean run 2 miles a day on the 4.5 setting of a treadmill 3 days a week. that amounts to maybe 200 calories. 4.5 on a treadmill is RIDICULOUSLY slow. I mean get outside and treat running like it is powerlifting. Progress through your runs in terms of min/mile and distance. Once you get up to around 10 miles a day you will be burning so many calories the weight will fall off you.

WBBIRL
02-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Caloric deficits are created through dieting, not through massive amounts of cardio. Even if I were able to run that much, which I can't it would hinder every other aspect of my live... including say recovery and lifting which lifting burns more calories then cardio does.

A calorie is not a calorie in my eyes... but I will say that expending more then you consume = cutting.

I tracked well enough to know my maintance is about 3500 calories. 2000 is what I'm trying to cut on... its not going too bad but it will take its time.

I didn't get like this overnight and I don't plan on it changing just like that either.

5 mph is fast for me.. its relative. A 450 pound deadlift is heavy for me... you might not be able to budge 450 or you might warm up with it.. its all relative my friend.

mister manager
02-16-2008, 02:30 AM
you're missing the point.

im not saying massive amounts of cardio is the only way to drop weight. i realize that you dont have to do any cardio to lose weight. if you are having a hard time staying at 2000 calories (which should imo actually be more like 3000 is your maintenance is 3500) then start running.

i remember reading a long time ago that you were running so i can only guess youve been doing cardio 3x a week for a while now. and at this point you are still at 12 minute miles for 2 miles. to put it in perspective thats like deadlifting 135 for a year and never progressing. treat running like you would powerlifting. its all about progression.

McIrish
02-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, WBB, you've posted a lot of threads over the past two years about how you're going to be a cut, swole 200 this year and turn heads at the beach around all the curl jockeys... come on, man, it's time to reevaluate.

I agree with the peanut gallery here - can you get an additional job/work an extra 4 or 5 hours a week at your current job? Those 4 or 5 hours should give you exactly enough cash to buy everything you need for a week. Hell, sleep in less on saturday and mow lawns if you have to.

I understand that you're working and going to school and I know that's tough, but something's gotta give, man. Time to man it up.

Patz
02-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Here's a price breakdown of protein:

Get your 200grams a day as cheap as:
http://www.thedanexperiment.com/gallery2/d/2264-1/protein_price.gif

Oh man..I eat A LOT of unroasted almonds and ground buffalo!

No wonder my grocery bills are so high!

Damn the bison!!

Mike G
02-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I want you to succeed, but that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if there are doubters posting in here, the only thing that matters is if you know you will succeed. I see a lot of reasons you won't, don't let become excuses why you didn't.

method115
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Sorry bro.

Yes I agree 100% I was thinking the exact same thing as I was reading through the thread. You've been here a long time WBBIRL as long as I can remember being on these boards. I've never looked at your pictures in the past and only looked now because I recognized how long you've been here. You need to listen to Tofer.

QuadzillaRF
02-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I can totally relate with working part time, living with the parents that ate like crap, and going to school full time because that was me 2 years ago. I know you're on grants WBB and what got me through college was student loans. Paid for my supplements, diet, apartment, and gym membership.

Diet in college was eggs, oatmeal, raman noodle soup, and salad. Grocery bill was like $20-25 a week.

DoUgL@S
02-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Honestly, your parents are right. Eat less of what you are eating now and you will loose weight. You cannot cut optimally because of your situation, but it is feasible to cut. You are fortunate enough that your parents feed you, do the best with what you have.

What do your parents put on the table most nights? Can you post a sample of the food that is not conducive to cutting?

WBBIRL
02-17-2008, 07:00 PM
You have to understand....

Most nights my parents provide food that is loaded with carbs, or fat and little to no protein.

They ate pizza 3 of the 7 days last week, went to the bar to eat once, prepared chicken thighs the fifth night, toasted cheese sandwidches and tomato soup another night and one night I had to fend for myself in which I had a big can of tuna mixed with lemon pepper and light mayo.

Eating less of those types of foods (calorie dense) would have me reaching my calorie range (2500 or so) and still feel starving. 2500 calories worth of chicken, tuna and cottage cheese on the other hand would let me feel full and get my protein intake where it needs to be.

I've applied for a few new jobs. I know the only way this will work is if I can have 100% control over my diet... right now I don't have that control because I can't afford it. If I get another job that will change.

I have no doubt I can do this, I just need some help or to come into a position where I can help myself. 2000 calories goes damn fast when your eating things like pizza, lasagna, and many of the other simple sugar loaded, deep fried garbage they eat on a regular basis.

ACCOLADE
02-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Why don't you tell your parents you want to be healthier and I am sure they would be willing to change some of the meals they make.

chris mason
02-18-2008, 12:05 AM
You have to understand....

Most nights my parents provide food that is loaded with carbs, or fat and little to no protein.

They ate pizza 3 of the 7 days last week, went to the bar to eat once, prepared chicken thighs the fifth night, toasted cheese sandwidches and tomato soup another night and one night I had to fend for myself in which I had a big can of tuna mixed with lemon pepper and light mayo.

Eating less of those types of foods (calorie dense) would have me reaching my calorie range (2500 or so) and still feel starving. 2500 calories worth of chicken, tuna and cottage cheese on the other hand would let me feel full and get my protein intake where it needs to be.

I've applied for a few new jobs. I know the only way this will work is if I can have 100% control over my diet... right now I don't have that control because I can't afford it. If I get another job that will change.

I have no doubt I can do this, I just need some help or to come into a position where I can help myself. 2000 calories goes damn fast when your eating things like pizza, lasagna, and many of the other simple sugar loaded, deep fried garbage they eat on a regular basis.

EXCUSES!

Foods which are high in fat provide satiety.

Look, you either want to lose weight or not. It is up to you.

If you are happy with yourself and healthy, then don't worry about it.

If not, then do something about it and quit lamenting your situation and making up excuses.

I could lose weight eating pizza for every meal. So can you.

mister manager
02-18-2008, 02:58 AM
whoa i have to stop drinking

Mike G
02-18-2008, 05:45 AM
to sum up Chris' point i weigh around 215 and am 6'2 . I just ate all but one slice of a large pizza and i was like give me 3 dipping sauces. all this after i was at the bar and got like 10 drinks. and i maintain 215.

so i duno what im trying to say other then im drunk and i eat like 5000 calories a day and still maintain 215 pounds at 6'2

That has absolutely nothing to do with the situation the OP is in, but I'm happy you're drunk and full:thumbup:

Chris is right man. You are throwing out so many reasons and they are really starting to sound like excuses. You dropped weight before, eating your parents food. Maybe you don't have the nutritional aspect figured out like you think. One thing to read some articles, another to implement. The more I read this (and I've read it way too many times) the more I see everyone else's side. You've been here a long time and always say the same thing. Potential, frame, impressive shape for someone my weight. If you want to lose weight, then step up. Lets be perfectly honest, you've gone from 298 when you first started a journal, to 270 something now. That was over 2 1/2 years ago.

WBBIRL
02-18-2008, 05:47 PM
EXCUSES!

Foods which are high in fat provide satiety.

Look, you either want to lose weight or not. It is up to you.

If you are happy with yourself and healthy, then don't worry about it.

If not, then do something about it and quit lamenting your situation and making up excuses.

I could lose weight eating pizza for every meal. So can you.

While you are right, you know yourself that is not an idea way to cut. Take a look at the staples of your last cut. They are far from pizza for every meal.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the situation the OP is in, but I'm happy you're drunk and full:thumbup:

Chris is right man. You are throwing out so many reasons and they are really starting to sound like excuses. You dropped weight before, eating your parents food. Maybe you don't have the nutritional aspect figured out like you think. One thing to read some articles, another to implement. The more I read this (and I've read it way too many times) the more I see everyone else's side. You've been here a long time and always say the same thing. Potential, frame, impressive shape for someone my weight. If you want to lose weight, then step up. Lets be perfectly honest, you've gone from 298 when you first started a journal, to 270 something now. That was over 2 1/2 years ago.

I went from 320 when I worked at Toys R US (started 08/06 and seasonal employment ended 01/07). When I quit working I was down to about 265 and dropped just under 260 before kinda stalling.

You've all made your point, this is pretty much beating a dead horse.

I know what I have to do and I know I can do it. Put up or shut up is the name of the game. I don't need that re iterated 10000 times.

To mr I can eat 6000 calories and not gain weight... good for you. I'll get mine when it's time for me to bulk and I'm getting massive on 3500 a day while you struggle to eat enough to gain anything.

McVein
02-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Not bashing you man, but if you say all you have is **** food and you cant buy clean stuff, even eating less **** stuff is a start, no?
if you cant afford basic foods i think you need to start looking for a new job.

RedSpikeyThing
02-18-2008, 08:20 PM
While you are right, you know yourself that is not an idea way to cut. Take a look at the staples of your last cut. They are far from pizza for every meal.

So you acknowledge it is possible to lose weight on pizza, it's just hard. Your choices are:

a) Whine on the internet about how it isn't the ideal situation and accomplish nothing, or

b) Man up and do it with what you have. Set an example for everyone else in your situation and show them it can be done.

EDIT:

I know what I have to do and I know I can do it. Put up or shut up is the name of the game. I don't need that re iterated 10000 times.

You got it once more because you still don't seem to understand.

DoUgL@S
02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
While you are right
You should have stopped here.

you know yourself that is not an idea way to cut.
Unfortunately you are not in an ideal situation. So do the best with what you have available.

Take a look at the staples of your last cut. They are far from pizza for every meal.
His situation is different than yours. So that's neither here nor there.

WBBIRL
02-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Look, enough guys honestly.

I will make every effort to cut each and every day. I realize my progress will be slower, I also realize you guys are right and that the situation doesn't have to be perfect... I can still do it even if it's now how I want to.

I understand perfectly what has to happen.

Deal with my food selections, use the calorie as the chief variable in my cutting plans, and try in the meantime to provide myself with different food choices to make the whole process easier.

Either that or stay the way I am.

This isn't that hard to understand. I can see people questioning my will power but some of you are either outright trying to talk down to me or are using reverse psychology on me. I know what has to be done. This isn't quantum physics or anything like that.

It's all a question of how focused I can stay on the goal.

getb1g
02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Dude almost all of your posts have an excuse. First thing I wanna say is its your own fault for getting to that point and if you ever want to lose atleast half that fat.. get up, don't be lazy, and stop making excuses. I'm 17 I have a job. Barely make any money due to limited hours (65-90$ a week) depending on hours. With a salary like that I manage to be able to pay a gym membership, eat out couple times, get fresh clothes, haircuts, supplements, and weed and booze for the weekends. My parents dont pay for anythin for me anymore. And, Im glad becuase I know I wont be a deadbeat trying to live off my parents income when I'm your age.

Don't take what I say offensively. Go out, do something.. Get a better job.. if your from the US you have no excuses.. there's plenty of opportunity here.

Darcy Tucker
02-19-2008, 01:43 AM
We all know you can do it if you focus. I just find it hard to believe that your maintenance caloric level is so low. That blows donkey balls that you'll put on weight eating 3000 calories per day.

Bupp
02-19-2008, 03:07 AM
At your height and weight you don't really need to worry about having everything dialed in perfectly. Just get off your ass and go for a walk every day and don't eat like a pig all the time.

mister manager
02-19-2008, 07:39 AM
the point of my last post (before i edited it) was that if im 6'1 215 and you are 5'9 260 i really doubt that i maintain at whatever ridiculous amount of calories i eat (i dont count but let me assure you my diet is terrible, fast food like 10 times a week and binge drink once a week) and you maintain at 3000 calories. so you are probably miscounting your calories (very easy to do i mean the difference between one tablespoon of olive oil and two is what 100 calories?) or you dont put in enough work physically (i know you lift heavy at the gym but i mean outside of the gym what are you doing)

and i realize that everyone is different but i really dont think everyone is that different.

i guess the point of this is that yes people do lose and gain at different rates but from what ive read its more likely you arent seeing the losses at the rate you want because you arent doing something right.

also i feel kinda bad cause its like everyone is nice replies until one guy tears you a new one and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.
so yeah this will be my last negative reply haha

DoUgL@S
02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
This isn't quantum physics or anything like that.

Your right, it's actually basic physics with some biology thrown in.

Everyone here is trying to be supportive and help, don't be so defensive.

Mike G
02-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I went from 320 when I worked at Toys R US (started 08/06 and seasonal employment ended 01/07). When I quit working I was down to about 265 and dropped just under 260 before kinda stalling.

You've all made your point, this is pretty much beating a dead horse.

This is the first post in your first journal, from 6/15/2005.

Well, since so many others have these and since I dont want it to seem like Im bragging every time I hit a PR, I've decided to post up a journal. If I had a digital camera (might have access to one very soon) I would post some before pictures of me to see what you think. I would have to say that my whole life I've been bigger then average from way back in 1st grade, but now just recently I've decided I wana try and get freakishly huge and Im hopeing genetics wont hold me back. My goal weight is to be around 230lbs of solid muscle before I being bulking back up. Right now I weight 298lbs and I would say that my bodyfat % has gone up to about 23-25% (it was 20% a year ago). Measurements are: Chest (right across nipples) 58", Neck 19 1/2", Calfs 19", Biceps 18 1/3", Forearms 14", Waist 46", Quads 33 1/2". I think that can paint a pretty good picture until I can get real ones of me. I want my numbers to be 63-64", 22", 22", 24", 17" 40-42", 37-38", respectively. I know that these are all pretty big numbers and I hope I can do it in about 5-7 years. With those goal measurments I hope that I can acheive a solid weight of around 270-275lbs.

This is what I was talking about. When you first started. Because you gained more weight after starting out, doesn't change the fact that you started at 298 and now weigh 27?. This isn't me piling on because someone else was negative, if I wanted to be a dick, I would have been in my first response and I wouldn't read your journal regularly. You can take my posts as me beating a dead horse, but look at your own posts, in fact, look at your journals over the years. You wanted honest feedback, until you got it, then you came out with all of the reasons you haven't done what you said you were going to almost three years ago. A lot of people have gone the nice route with you over the years and told you how well you hold weight, what a good build you have for powerlifting ect.... That doesn't seem to have worked and when you hear some honest opinions, you get defensive. I do agree that a lot of the posts in here are moronic and completely uncalled for, I hope you take mine as being a supportive kick in the ass, not a slap in the face.

WBBIRL
02-19-2008, 12:07 PM
There are like 2 posts total I take as offfensive.

I understand a lot of you, like you mike are trying to be supportive but in a different way. I appreciate that and I have no hard feelings towards just about all of you. I know what you guys are trying to do, motivate me and I appricate that fact.

The thing that gets me is when people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and that I have to be eating more then 3000 calories per day. I know for a fact that I'm not, I wouldn't get on here and lie about it. My maintance calories are a joke for my size and I have to live with that. It is what it is.

I did ask for honest feedback, and I got it. I only asked for it to be cut out when people started talking down to me like I had no idea about nutrition and that I had to be eating way more then I thought.

When I first joined WBB (I can't really even remember... I wasn't 298. That was when I bought my digital camera... a good year before I worked at toys R us. I've been on WBB for quite some time now... a good bit more then 2 and a half years.

RedSpikeyThing
02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
And, Im glad becuase I know I wont be a deadbeat trying to live off my parents income when I'm your age.

I've been working since I was 16. I am 21, completing my Bachelor's degree in the spring and beginning my Master's in the fall. I live off of my parent's income because I am a full time student. What exactly makes me a deadbeat? Do you even know what a deadbeat is?

DoUgL@S
02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
I've been working since I was 16. I am 21, completing my Bachelor's degree in the spring and beginning my Master's in the fall. I live off of my parent's income because I am a full time student. What exactly makes me a deadbeat? Do you even know what a deadbeat is?

Who called you a deadbeat? I think the sentiment has more to do with the fact the WBBIrl is living of his parents as an adult, and does not have the right to demand anything. If the food is not conducive to his lifestyle, it is not his parent's responsibility to bend over backwards for him.

You are fortunate to have that support system. You are probably in a situation in which you parents can afford for you to live with them to offset the college expenses. To keep things in perspective there are a lot of people in your situation that are not so fortunate. Are you a deadbeat? No. Are you taking advantage of your fortuitous situation? Yes. Being a full time student does not mean you are entitled to have things payed for you, but if you are a good kid and your parents can give you a leg up, more power to you.

DoUgL@S
02-19-2008, 01:15 PM
TThe thing that gets me is when people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and that I have to be eating more then 3000 calories per day. I know for a fact that I'm not, I wouldn't get on here and lie about it. My maintance calories are a joke for my size and I have to live with that. It is what it is.

To put it bluntly, if you claim to know what you are talking about, and you are not getting results on a <2000 cal diet , then it is either:
1. You are a genetic anomaly and you can maintain a 300 lbs or so frame on that amount of food. Your biological pathways are that efficient.
2. You are not accurately tracking your intake and your calories deficit is not what you think.
3. Your metabolism has severely crashed due to your crash dieting.
4. You have a thyroid problem.

I do not think it is 1. Get the other things checked out. Don't let ego stand in the way of your success. You may know a lot, but obviously it has not been implemented well, so there is still room for you to learn from the gracious people who know what they are talking about.

Instead of arguing with Chris, send him a PM. He is a nice guy and I do not see him turning down a request for help. There are others too, people like Built comes to mind, because she has been in your situation, and now maintains at the levels you diet at. She's probably 130 lbs soaking wet. Reach out to those who have actually had success with their knowledge.

getb1g
02-19-2008, 01:23 PM
My post is directed at WBBIRL

Who called you a deadbeat? I think the sentiment has more to do with the fact the WBBIrl is living of his parents as an adult, and does not have the right to demand anything. If the food is not conducive to his lifestyle, it is not his parent's responsibility to bend over backwards for him.

You are fortunate to have that support system. You are probably in a situation in which you parents can afford for you to live with them to offset the college expenses. To keep things in perspective there are a lot of people in your situation that are not so fortunate. Are you a deadbeat? No. Are you taking advantage of your fortuitous situation? Yes. Being a full time student does not mean you are entitled to have things payed for you, but if you are a good kid and your parents can give you a leg up, more power to you.

Exactly what I meant.

RedSpikeyThing
02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
My post is directed at WBBIRL

I just found it interesting that you called him a deadbeat because he lives at home at 21, and that somehow you having a job at the age of 17 means you are not a deadbeat. Anyways, back on topic...

fpr
02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
EDIT: NM, Delete it, I was defending the OP before I read through the thread.... lol

PhilsterT
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Excuses...BLAH! (Plus, the thread title is annoying...)

Yo, I know it's not ideal, but I probably eat pizza five times a week as a college student, do full time, and work 25 hours a week to get money. I still have time to do three intense workouts a week consistently and control my diet.

Mike G
02-19-2008, 03:54 PM
When I first joined WBB (I can't really even remember... I wasn't 298. That was when I bought my digital camera... a good year before I worked at toys R us. I've been on WBB for quite some time now... a good bit more then 2 and a half years.

I don't know if you are disagreeing with me, or what at this point? Your own post is above, from your first journal. Your very first thread that you started said you weighed 300. You may have read the forum for a longer time, but you haven't been on the site for three years yet with an account, you signed up in april of '05, it says so under your name. In the post above, you say you don't have a camera yet. What point are you trying to make? Unless you lied about your weight in your first thread, you've lost a little over twenty pounds since you first started posting a journal.

Invain
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
To be honest WBB, if you really can maintain on that many calories I'd seriosuly consider seeing somebody about thyroid issues. I had a friend during highschool that seemed to explode one year out of nowhere and gained like 50 pounds. She stayed pretty much the same weight for the next 3 or so years, never getting any fatter. She finally went to the doctors last year and they found she had hypothyroid. Any normal person, especially one that works out, would wither away on 3000 calories.

Notorious
02-19-2008, 08:47 PM

I'm guessing your problem is one of these two things. From looking at the day's diet you posted, I doubt you are unintentionally overeating.

Either way, you need to do something to raise that metabolism. It's nearly impossible to cut on 2000 calories and you will have to keep lowering the cals after you lose more weight.

Not really sure how I can help, but I have no doubt that you can and will succeed. Just keep doing what you've been doing until you can get a better job, afford better food, and probably get that thyroid checked.

HahnB
02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing your problem is one of these two things. From looking at the day's diet you posted, I doubt you are unintentionally overeating.

Either way, you need to do something to raise that metabolism. It's nearly impossible to cut on 2000 calories and you will have to keep lowering the cals after you lose more weight.

Not really sure how I can help, but I have no doubt that you can and will succeed. Just keep doing what you've been doing until you can get a better job, afford better food, and probably get that thyroid checked.

Aren't thyroid disorders such as this relatively rare? I could name about 10 people I know that have been claiming they were going to lose weight as long as I can remember, and a few more who said they were going to gain weight and never did. They all must have thyroid problems.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I wouldn't go throwing this around as a good possibility until he goes to a doctor.

Songsangnim
02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
To put it bluntly, if you claim to know what you are talking about, and you are not getting results on a <2000 cal diet , then it is either:

Where are you getting the <2000 cal diet from? In his post that you quoted above he said that he was eating 3000 calories.

WBBIRL
02-19-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't know if you are disagreeing with me, or what at this point? Your own post is above, from your first journal. Your very first thread that you started said you weighed 300. You may have read the forum for a longer time, but you haven't been on the site for three years yet with an account, you signed up in april of '05, it says so under your name. In the post above, you say you don't have a camera yet. What point are you trying to make? Unless you lied about your weight in your first thread, you've lost a little over twenty pounds since you first started posting a journal.

In April '05 we still lived in our trailer. We moved into our house sometime in in august of that year after I graduated. I didn't start working at Toys R Us until October of 2006 and I never had a digital camera for my first 2 journals... I think I had 4 so far. My weight has changed quit a bit since I first started... going up then down then up then down. So far my net change is like you said a little over 20 pounds.

Excuses...BLAH! (Plus, the thread title is annoying...)

Yo, I know it's not ideal, but I probably eat pizza five times a week as a college student, do full time, and work 25 hours a week to get money. I still have time to do three intense workouts a week consistently and control my diet.

I even am starting to dislike the title as well.

I am not demanding my parents provide me with the foods I want. I am greatful for the food and shelter they do provide. I'm hate more the fact that they're so un informed and block headed about nutrition then the fact that they won't but me what I want. I respect my parents. While I AM in a good situation no doubt, in my relatively small college I see plenty of folks driving expensive cars to school paid for by their parents, going to school on their parents dime and staying on campus whilst living less then 10 miles away.

My situation is good, but don't act like I have it by the balls. I have to pay for my own transportation, including gas and insurance. I also have to pay my own school bills for everything and I don't get an allowance so whatever fun I have needs to be funded by me.

I'm still very greatfull to be in the position I'm in as far as school and having a place to stay go.

1. You are a genetic anomaly and you can maintain a 300 lbs or so frame on that amount of food. Your biological pathways are that efficient.
2. You are not accurately tracking your intake and your calories deficit is not what you think.

I do not think it is 1. Get the other things checked out. Don't let ego stand in the way of your success. You may know a lot, but obviously it has not been implemented well, so there is still room for you to learn from the gracious people who know what they are talking about.

Instead of arguing with Chris, send him a PM. He is a nice guy and I do not see him turning down a request for help. There are others too, people like Built comes to mind, because she has been in your situation, and now maintains at the levels you diet at. She's probably 130 lbs soaking wet. Reach out to those who have actually had success with their knowledge.

We all know its easier said then done bro. I can walk anyone through how to shoot a pool match that will beat 95% or more players if they do exactly as I tell them. It's making those shots that count... not knowing what you need to do to make them.

Honestly I wonder about my thyroid. It's just ridiculous to eat what I do and not be losing weight.

I know I've done it before and it can be done again, but it shouldn't be nearly this hard. I guess nothing worth doing is easy.

chris mason
02-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Do you want me to lock this thread Wbb?

DoUgL@S
02-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Where are you getting the <2000 cal diet from? In his post that you quoted above he said that he was eating 3000 calories.

From what he has said in the past. He maintains at 3000, he cuts at 2000 or below. Have you even seen his diet plans, and food intake lists? Look at his journal and or his Fitday. There was a while where he was PMSFing on much less than 2000.

QuadzillaRF
02-20-2008, 07:32 PM
My situation is good, but don't act like I have it by the balls. I have to pay for my own transportation, including gas and insurance. I also have to pay my own school bills for everything and I don't get an allowance so whatever fun I have needs to be funded by me.

Not having enough MONEY during college is an excuse I used to make. Either A) Work longer hours and let your grades suffer or B) Get a student loan and be in debt.

I chose B and have no regrets.

MPB
02-20-2008, 07:43 PM
You said you live in your parents house right? It if is possible, why don't you take a semester off.

I think that'd give you more than enough time to gather some money for your food.

Davidelmo
02-24-2008, 10:31 AM

Sorry bro.

I agree too.

I haven't posted here in a while but I do remember WBBIRL and you ALWAYS talk about how you're going to be losing weight and getting lean for summer etc. I remember you saying it last winter than you were going to be leaner for the summer etc. Well, it's February 2008 now and I think you have been saying that for the best part of two years and I don't see any huge changes since last time.

How well do you ACTUALLY track your diet? I find it VERY hard to believe you can be gaining weight on 3000kcal a day when you weigh 280 and exercise several times a week.

Even if that IS the case, then drop back to 2500kcal, lots of lean protein, low carb, add in some cardio.. do whatever it takes to get at least 100lbs of fat off your body. I think a lean 230 is severely overestimating.. I think a lean 200 is more realistic.

Douglas is right in that you are either doing something very wrong, or you have total lack of discipline, or you have a serious medical condition. That first post from your journal is very telling, and shows that you have repeated the same mantra over and over again.. yet you have accomplished almost nothing that you set out to do.

Unfortunately tofer is right and you're going to have to work very hard to prove us wrong.. I simply don't see you EVER being lean when I look at your changes over the last 2 or so years.

Out of interest, have you seen the physique clinic at T-nation? If not, get over there now and that might inspire you. There's a guy in his 30's who has been big his whole life and sounded a bit like you. Well, when he SERIOUSLY knuckled down and put the effort in, he has lost 25+ lbs of fat in 2 months.

You've been reading this forum longer than most of the people here.. you KNOW what to do.. now just do it. Good luck!

donnie165
02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
To start Irl you were my favorite person on this site when i started (not that i dislike you now) because it was great motivation to see you trying to change what i also needed to. Now i didn't do anything for a year or so not even trying. Now I have come back and its been about 2/ 1/2 months and i'm down 27 lbs. I'm not bragging or rubbing it in because i'm sure I could do better. As has been adressed I'm sure you have some problems but i'm also sure your your own biggest enemy. You need to get it done bro. I weighed 280 when I started also though i'm 6"4 and i'm currently mat 253. I still think I need to drop to 220 but forget about me. I just wanted to say you were my best motivator its time to step up your game.

Also I'm sure you metabolism is slow or else you wouldn't be so big but it still is hard for me to believe 2500-3k a day. And I know i'm no expert in neither health nor math but if 3500 cals is 1 pound and you ate averagly 2500-2600 how could you put on so much weight in that time. Between lifting and BMR you had to burn of 2k + a day. Also you say it was more like 10 but if you were 260 at one point and 280 at another thats 20.Also again if your maintence is around 3500 I don't possibly understand HOW it is possible to gain weight especially significant weight when your below that. Please explain.

Dajinn
02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
do you really need to take in like 150g of protein to lose weight?

DoUgL@S
02-25-2008, 03:32 PM
do you really need to take in like 150g of protein to lose weight?

No he doesn't, but if he wants to loose mostly fat and retain muscle he should be eating at least that much for his size. If he does not care what kind of weight he is loosing then he can eat less than that.

WBBIRL
02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I care A LOT of what type of weight I lose so I will cut carefully until I get more protein in my diet.

Despite what people think and say in this thread, I hold almost as much LBM as most of them weigh. While I have eaten too much for many years, I've busted my ass hard in the weight room and on the football field building a good chunk of solid mass. I want to keep it.

method115
02-25-2008, 06:50 PM
I care A LOT of what type of weight I lose so I will cut carefully until I get more protein in my diet.

Despite what people think and say in this thread, I hold almost as much LBM as most of them weigh. While I have eaten too much for many years, I've busted my ass hard in the weight room and on the football field building a good chunk of solid mass. I want to keep it.

Honestly WBBIRL I would be more concerned with losing the weight regardless of if it's muscle/fat. You are very big for your height and it's very unhealthy the quicker you lose the weight the better. At the same time I don't mean lose 80 pounds as fast as you can or anything like that. Just that I would drop a good amount of weight before I worried about my LBM dropping. There is no point of having a high LBM if no one will ever see it.

Detard
02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has said 10000000 times already but I will say that if you listen to the advice here, stay focused on your goals, and work your ass off, you will get to where you want to be. Were only here to help you. Good luck bro, i'm sure you'll reach your goals.

WBBIRL
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Honestly WBBIRL I would be more concerned with losing the weight regardless of if it's muscle/fat. You are very big for your height and it's very unhealthy the quicker you lose the weight the better. At the same time I don't mean lose 80 pounds as fast as you can or anything like that. Just that I would drop a good amount of weight before I worried about my LBM dropping. There is no point of having a high LBM if no one will ever see it.

I am concerned about being unheatlhy, as many of you probably know a few members of my family have health issues that are weight related. 2 have had serious problems nearly being fatal. I don't want that for myself. At the same time I know this won't happen over night. I think at a pace I can keep it will take me about at least half a year to drop the 70 or so pounds I want to... a small price to pay for the drastically improved bill of health.

I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has said 10000000 times already but I will say that if you listen to the advice here, stay focused on your goals, and work your ass off, you will get to where you want to be. Were only here to help you. Good luck bro, i'm sure you'll reach your goals.

Staying focused always has been my biggest challenge, I've proved time and again when I'm focused I can produce... I've fell off the wagon quite a few times in the past.

Reading a few articles over at t nation and a few journals like wannabelean, pauls, and stumprrps journal (when he started dieting from 280 down to as low as 190) really show me that it can be done, I know it myself because I've lost 60 pounds before, but it's good motivation to see that others have done it.

It's now March, I had aimed to be 250 pounds by now at the most and I'm still 275. So the 3 months weren't a total waste in the respect that I know what i've been doing till now isn't going to cut it.

Back to the ole drawing board.

donnie165
02-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Good luck irl. I still gut another 32 lbs to go myself. Lets meet at the finish line.

DoUgL@S
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Despite what people think and say in this thread, I hold almost as much LBM as most of them weigh.

What does that have to do with anything, a 400 lb guy at 50% bodyfat can say the same. Are you saying that you will not listen to us because of this qualifier when people are just trying to help and be supportive? :confused:

Out of curiosity, what is your bf% and how did you measure it? If you are 236 lbs (more than I weigh) of lbm at 280 lbs then you are at 8.4% bf, somehow I doubt that. I am rooting for you. Take some eSupport from a fellow fatty.

WBBIRL
02-27-2008, 04:06 PM
What I meant by that was the few people who think I have little to no mass, most of them weigh less totally then my LBM does now at 280. I'd say I'm about 25%... my lower body is very lean and I hold 90% of my fat in the stomach area.

25% at 280 gives me 210 pounds of LBM

Even at 30% which I doubt I am... I'd still have 194 pounds of LBM.

I will listen to you guys, most of you told me what I already know and knew for years. Knowing isn't doing however as I've proven that... I know what to do I just haven't been getting it done.

Rock Steady
02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
What does that have to do with anything, a 400 lb guy at 50% bodyfat can say the same. Are you saying that you will not listen to us because of this qualifier when people are just trying to help and be supportive? :confused:

Out of curiosity, what is your bf% and how did you measure it? If you are 236 lbs (more than I weigh) of lbm at 280 lbs then you are at 15.7% bf, somehow I doubt that. I am rooting for you. Take some eSupport from a fellow fatty.

IFYM - I'm guessing you had 8.4% because 236/280 = 0.84...?

DoUgL@S
02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
IFYM - I'm guessing you had 8.4% because 236/280 = 0.84...?

lol, lack of sleep will do that to you, you are right glad someone caught it, it should have been 16%, but my point still stands. :cool: