02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
wow man. that is a HUGE arch.
good job!

WBBIRL
02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
BIG arch lol! Nice pressing.

ThomasG
02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
how much do you weigh? Regardless 275 is a big number!

MrWebb78
02-12-2008, 04:17 PM
As someone who does not bench like that, how much help does that extreme of an arch give? It may reduce the ROM by an inch or 2?

fpr
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
how much do you weigh? Regardless 275 is a big number!

He weighs 220lbs...

I saw the belt, was that also a benching shirt?

dxiw
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and the support!

The shirt is an Inzer Blast. It's not even my size (way to big) and barely provided any help if at all. Most people on here will tell you that a Blast gives 5-10% at most. Given that mine isn't all that tight, I'm probably getting 5 pounds out of it. I was only using it because it was sitting around and I wanted to incorporate it into my lifts.

fpr - I didn't post this as "holy **** I bench more than all of you", I posted it because it was good lift for me (not even full max) and showed my form. If you have a problem with my benching 275 @ 220, then you shouldn't be posting on this forum. The purpose of the forum is to support people and give them good advice so they can make advances. Not criticize others when you have 6 months of experience, weigh the same as me and have a bigger gut. What a "big number" is all dependent on where you are in your lifting career. For me getting this weight after getting back in the gym for 6 weeks after a 3 year break felt great. That's what's important.

dxiw
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
As someone who does not bench like that, how much help does that extreme of an arch give? It may reduce the ROM by an inch or 2?

The arch and set-up is the way I was taught by Murph (who is a very experienced competitive lifter - the guy spotting me). I was very pleased with the form because it gave me a lot of stability and I felt very strong. It also reduced my ROM and allowed me to flex my abs hard against the belt to channel power from my legs into my upper body. Part of the reason for it is that you can use your full body to make the lift without any extra movement or risking your ass coming off the bench.

Dizzee
02-12-2008, 05:09 PM
I am only a novice and never knew you were allowed to channel strength from your legs to help bench press. Next time I bench press I will conscientiously try and do this, who knows I might do it already without even knowing.

dxiw
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Try to hug the bench with your legs and keep your feet pulled back on your toes. Then as your benching try to drive your heels in the ground and make sure you keep constant pressure in your abs (like your pushing out, kind of like trying to take a big ****). With some arch, it will help you drive the weight up..

fpr
02-12-2008, 08:15 PM
fpr - I didn't post this as "holy **** I bench more than all of you", I posted it because it was good lift for me (not even full max) and showed my form. If you have a problem with my benching 275 @ 220, then you shouldn't be posting on this forum. The purpose of the forum is to support people and give them good advice so they can make advances. Not criticize others when you have 6 months of experience, weigh the same as me and have a bigger gut. What a "big number" is all dependent on where you are in your lifting career. For me getting this weight after getting back in the gym for 6 weeks after a 3 year break felt great. That's what's important.

Did I criticize you in any way? No. I was merely responding to someone else's question because I took the time to look at your sig. And as you mentioned, I only have 6 months of training experience. I was merely asking if that was a benching shirt because my next question would have been was how beneficial it is... merely feeding my knowledge. For some strange reason, you took it entirely the wrong way, I typed this, did not verbally say it, so how could you read what I was saying? And FYI, I doubt my gut is bigger than yours. So settle down there before you go typing nasty comments.

dxiw
02-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Did I criticize you in any way? No. I was merely responding to someone else's question because I took the time to look at your sig. And as you mentioned, I only have 6 months of training experience. I was merely asking if that was a benching shirt because my next question would have been was how beneficial it is... merely feeding my knowledge. For some strange reason, you took it entirely the wrong way, I typed this, did not verbally say it, so how could you read what I was saying? And FYI, I doubt my gut is bigger than yours. So settle down there before you go typing nasty comments.

Hey sorry man. I took your comment the wrong way I guess. I thought you were trying to be sarcastic and imply that my lift was crap for my bodyweight. I didn't realize the person above you actually asked how much I weighed.. my bad bro

And gut wise, we're probably the same. My sig says 15% but I always caliper high - I have 4 abs showing pretty clearly..

fpr
02-13-2008, 07:24 AM
No problem. My BW is 215 and my max is nowhere close to 300, so I think you do have good lifts and form.

I guess you guys up there are still a little bit angry at the world with that whole 18-1 thing :evillaugh: ;)

Cirino83
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM

I guess you guys up there are still a little bit angry at the world with that whole 18-1 thing :evillaugh: ;)

bastard :ninja:

nice bench to the OP

dxiw
02-13-2008, 08:26 AM
No problem. My BW is 215 and my max is nowhere close to 300, so I think you do have good lifts and form.

Argh, if only those last 40 seconds never happenned...

killxswitch
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Congrats on the lift, that's some arch.

Forgive me for smirking whenever I see "18-1" though... :D

berfles
02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice form, I can never seem to get any sort of arch when I bench. I can't wait to hit 275 though, right now the best I did was 230. That's up 25lbs since October, but I feel like things are coming slow now. I just took a week off so I'm getting back up to speed with every workout, but I mistakingly put 10lbs extra on my bar when I benched last time and still managed 5 reps, so according to a calculator I should be good for 240 right now, but they suck.

Anyway, still a nice rep. So your max is 300lbs currently or is that an old update?

Nosaj
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Nice lift, what's with the excessive pre-lift arching though? :confused:

dxiw
02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I didn't use to arch that much, but Murph (the guy spotting me who is a top-notch competitive powerlifter) taught me to use the exact set-up I did in the video. It did indeed help my lift.

Nosaj
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Looks like it takes some practice getting used too. :)

samj
02-14-2008, 01:38 AM
sissy

Wednesday.
02-14-2008, 05:32 AM
That's pretty impressive.

I cant imagine that much weight. Ever.

How much does the average 140#-150# female bench after a year of training?...just guesstimate average?

berfles
02-14-2008, 12:38 PM
110-120lbs? I don't know, the majority of women I see on BB.com's BodySpace bench less than 100lbs, but I don't know if they are trying to push more weight or just look better.

Wednesday.
02-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks, I'm such a noob.

I can see how the desire to lift heavier and heavier weights can be addicting tho.

I need to dig deep and find some more discipline.

fpr
02-14-2008, 08:06 PM
The heaviest I've seen a woman lifting in my gym was 135lbs, she was probably in her mid to late 30's, no spotter either, and not a bad looker :thumbup:

Shangers
02-28-2008, 10:24 AM
So you hit 275 around mid Feb? Holy crap, I'd say you are way good for at least 350 now, seeing how easily you got that 365 2 board this past Monday.

Also, Murph looks very dashing in that red sweater. :nod:

dxiw
02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
what's up man? yea, I've been regaining all of my lost strength. I was up pretty high until I quit for a while, so it's all coming back now. Thanks for the support though..

bjohnso
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice lifting dxiw. Do you find that arch to be rough on your hips?