PDA

View Full Version : tire flip

LoneJeeper
02-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I have access to a number of tires of various sizes, from car to heavy equipment.

Thing is, i can't go play with them before hand to know what size i'd use, a buddy in the business is coming to visit and he said he'd bring whatever i chose.

I understand they have a propensity for bicep tears, so nothing extremely heavy... I just want a tire to throw around in the back yard.

my PRs are in my sig, what's appropriate?

kd

Chubrock
02-13-2008, 07:07 PM
300-400lbs tire.

repeatthebeat
02-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Sounds like fun, video tape it & put it on yoiu tube!

Klotz
02-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Do like 300-400 lb for conditioning, 600-700 for strength and power.

Also, try hitting one with a sledgehammer for like 100 reps.

deeder
02-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Do like 300-400 lb for conditioning, 600-700 for strength and power.

:withstupi:

My best belted deadlift is 506lbs and I've flipped a 600lb tire pretty easily.

Bohizzle
02-14-2008, 05:24 PM
My best deadlift is 425, and I've flipped a supposed (I wasn't there for the weighing) 600lb tire 6 times in just over a minute.

LoneJeeper
02-15-2008, 07:36 PM

that sounds terrible. and awesome.

I'm also knocking down 3 trees (pines) tomorrow, so I'll have some tree trunks to play with. I'm thinking fingal fingers.

Ben Moore
02-16-2008, 07:53 AM
that sounds terrible. and awesome.

I'm also knocking down 3 trees (pines) tomorrow, so I'll have some tree trunks to play with. I'm thinking fingal fingers.

I think you're the new coolest guy I know, LOL. Let's see pics when you get done!

LoneJeeper
02-17-2008, 10:09 AM
heh, thanks. I'm tired of getting glared at in the gym for the "weird" stuff i do.

my real problem is that i've never built (or used) some of the stuff i'm collecting, so i'm not sure how it will hold up... i'm gonna be pissed if it falls apart on me.

I've got some rebar I'm pounding into the ends to hold extra weight in the ends, but i haven't decided if i want to put the ends on some sort of swivel/hinge mechanism or not.

Ben Moore
02-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Some others I know have put it on a hinge and staked that into the ground.

Not sure if you can see it in this vid. Although these are metal, they attached them to the base and then staked the base deep into the ground.

N1IdF94eJkA&rel=1

As far as attaching weight - you may be better off just using the wood as is. The banging on the ground will make any rebar you put into the end come loose.

jed
02-25-2008, 08:52 PM
this summer when i did my tire flipping i was about 170 and used about a 400-450lb tire to do 3x8 or so with. our squat and bench are remotely similar, but your dead kills mine. just some info.

LoneJeeper
02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
what sort of hinge?

i've flipped them a bit, and they rock a bit much when i go hand over hand. I might try to square up the end with the ol' stihl and see if that helps.

LoneJeeper
02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
this summer when i did my tire flipping i was about 170 and used about a 400-450lb tire to do 3x8 or so with. our squat and bench are remotely similar, but your dead kills mine. just some info.

I've also got like 80# on you. that's more than respectable.

I ordered a 400# tire with a turf-friendly pattern (diamond-shaped lugs). Should be here when there's finally a weekend when the weather allows my dumbass buddy to drive his 2wd truck here.

LoneJeeper
02-28-2008, 07:31 AM
what sort of hinge?

epiphany.

I'll nail a 2x8 across the bottom. that'll stop the rocking, and allow me to move them around easier.

damn i'm brilliant.

Ben Moore
02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
what sort of hinge?

i've flipped them a bit, and they rock a bit much when i go hand over hand. I might try to square up the end with the ol' stihl and see if that helps.

The 2x8 might work, but I'd get some large slag bolts to attach it instead of nails.. From what I've seen, it's about a 1.5" steel shaft going through the bottom of the finger. Then they attach it to a base that is staked into the ground.

Viking_Power
03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
what sort of hinge?

I'm looking at trying to put some fingers together with a hinge as well. Just wondering if you had any success with yours, or any advice on how to go about it.

nddillon
03-23-2008, 06:38 PM
I made some fingers awhile back. We had a bad storm come through and the electric company had to replace 4 light poles (wooden) on our rental property. I got some cattle gate post hinges and attached them to the end of the poles and the other end to a prestine(ly dented), cherry (-rust colored) 1979 Chevy Monte Carlo hood ($15). They worked great and they still use 'em

LoneJeeper
03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
here's what I did.

got some idea of the weights I could throw around.
found the specific gravity of the types of wood I was using. and calculated, based on the volume of a cylinder, how long the logs would need to be.
cut the logs to length
nailed 3' 2"x8"s to the bottoms of the logs
used my jeep to drag them to where i wanted, lined them up.

then I flipped.

Coachmanor
04-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Buddy of mine who does MMA goes with about 300lbs. but his routine is as follows. 40 yards- Flip jump in, jump out, turn around jump in, jump out, turn flip repeat for the full 40 yards. He then carries the tire back to the starting line as fast as possible rest for 60 seconds then repeats the process. He does 6-8 sets.

tyciol
10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Does anyone use lighter tires to practise their overhead pressing? It seems like something well suited for it since it has a hole in the middle for your head (though if you leave them outside, I think you should put a tarp over them to keep from collecting water, messy). I've been doing this with a 25lb spare tire and want to get some heavier ones to move up.

Once someone gets to the point of a tire that weighs more than they do, I think you might be able to practise a hand stand holding on to the tire and dipping your head in the hole, much like chairs. The only thing is, I guess the tires would get so wide at that point that your pressing wouldn't be efficient. So barring some kind of bigger tire stacked on top of a small one (that would be hard to stabilize) possible draping chains over smaller tires would be interesting.

It seems like it'd be easier on the hands and easier to bail when you hit failure compared to pressing a bar or dumbs.

Tom Mutaffis
10-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Does anyone use lighter tires to practise their overhead pressing? It seems like something well suited for it since it has a hole in the middle for your head (though if you leave them outside, I think you should put a tarp over them to keep from collecting water, messy). I've been doing this with a 25lb spare tire and want to get some heavier ones to move up.

Once someone gets to the point of a tire that weighs more than they do, I think you might be able to practise a hand stand holding on to the tire and dipping your head in the hole, much like chairs. The only thing is, I guess the tires would get so wide at that point that your pressing wouldn't be efficient. So barring some kind of bigger tire stacked on top of a small one (that would be hard to stabilize) possible draping chains over smaller tires would be interesting.

It seems like it'd be easier on the hands and easier to bail when you hit failure compared to pressing a bar or dumbs.

I have never done overhead press with a tire as a serious exercise, but one of my training partners did used to use a trap bar for neutral grip seated military press...

Rugby Dad
11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Fingal Fingers
LoneJeeper,
friend of mine found some old telephone poles, we cut them down to 12ft, 15ft, various heights, and some are fatter than others.
who knows what they weigh?
but rather than hinge & anchor them to the ground, we let them be, and works fine for fingal fingers. other advantage is you can also shoulder the lighter ones and run with it for conditioning, or like log loading.