PDA

View Full Version : My routine to be top dog!

BigTex08
02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Hello all! I played football for four years and it was great but I'm a senior now and thats over So I decided I want to be huge and move lots of heavy weight! As of right now I'm 6' even and anywhere between 228-234 lbs. My numbers are very modest right now about a 350 squat 335 dead and 255 bench. Here is my routine.

Chest

Bench Press 5x5
Military Press 3x8
Skull Crushers 3x8
DB incline 3x8

Legs

Squats 5x5
SLDL 3x8
Leg curk 3x8
Leg extension 3x8

Back
DL 5x5
Row 3x8
(I need more any suggestions?)

A couple of notes. Im really good about sleeping and most of the time I make all my meals and I eat allot. My deadlift is low becuase for the four years of football we did power cleans in place of deads. I do like to binge drink on the weekends I dont touch the stuff during the week but once quittin time comes I hit it pretty hard. I play basketball at least three times a week and um yea thats about it

Crituiques?

Travis Bell
02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
benching twice a week will really help alot as will squatting twice a week. One heavy day and one speed day

The dead routine I might suggest rotating it a little, maybe one week 5x5, next week speed pulls, week after that sets of 3. Some rack pulls thrown in every once and awhile will help as well.

Get on Elitefts.com and go through their exercise index and learn it well. If something on that website contradicts what you've learned in highschool football, follow the website. Dave and Jim know their stuff.

I have no idea what your lifting coach is like at all so take this for what its worth, but if there is one thing I wish I could go back and do is forget everything I learned in highschool. I don't mean that it was bad, but it was sport specific. This is a new sport, new type of lifting as far as form, intensity and frequency goes

Do you have some guys who know powerlifitng well to train with?

joey54
02-15-2008, 05:36 AM
If you want to be a powerlifter, Westside.

Listen to, stop binge drinking. Seriously. I did it in college, if you find old posts I used to talk about drinking all the time. Incredibly fun, but incredibly dumb. You binge drink when you are young, you set yourself up to becoming an alcoholic big time. Doesn't mean it will happen, but the likelihood is high. I have not drank in almost 4 years now. Best training years of my life. Best years of my life. Do what you want, but I just wanted to give my 2 cents. Not saying you can't have fun, or even drink in moderation, but there is no reason to binge drinking all the time if you have serious aspirations about being the "biggest guy on the block".

brihead301
02-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Quitting drinking is a b****. Especially because every single one of my friends drink too.

"Hey ----, what are you doin tonight?"

"Drinkin. How about you?"

"Drinkin."

"Cool, let's go to the bar."

That's my typical phone conversation on the weekend. Since I started to get really serious about lifting/diet about 9 months ago though, I've been drinking more moderately then I used to. I used to be a huge weekend warrior binge drinker.

If I stopped drinking all together, I'd probably be able to squat over 1000 lbs. by now. J/K, but my gains would surely be better.

HP666
02-15-2008, 11:09 AM
If you want to be a powerlifter, Westside.

Ditto.

BigTex08
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
benching twice a week will really help alot as will squatting twice a week. One heavy day and one speed day

The dead routine I might suggest rotating it a little, maybe one week 5x5, next week speed pulls, week after that sets of 3. Some rack pulls thrown in every once and awhile will help as well.

Get on Elitefts.com and go through their exercise index and learn it well. If something on that website contradicts what you've learned in highschool football, follow the website. Dave and Jim know their stuff.

I have no idea what your lifting coach is like at all so take this for what its worth, but if there is one thing I wish I could go back and do is forget everything I learned in highschool. I don't mean that it was bad, but it was sport specific. This is a new sport, new type of lifting as far as form, intensity and frequency goes

Do you have some guys who know powerlifitng well to train with?

Ah there is probably my biggest pronblem. I have no coach. I know this is going to be an uphill journey without one. I try to read everything I can and do it over and over agian but withhout a coach am I doomed? I do have a couple of guys I trian with but it isnt a regular thing. Mostof the time its just me.

Travis Bell
02-15-2008, 05:25 PM
no worries man, you're not doomed. Use this site to help you find gyms in your area. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

You don't need a coach, but I will say this. I fiddled around with my lifting on my own for a little over a year and made what I thought was pretty good progress. Then I went to Westside and what I had thought was pretty good progress seemed paltry compared to the gains I made in the ensuing months. Good coaching is priceless.

Here are some articles that Lou writes on our website

http://westside-barbell.com/articles.htm Read these. Hopefully you can find a gym in your area that will have someone that will be able to get you on the right track.

BigTex08
02-15-2008, 05:40 PM
thank you!

Travis Bell
02-15-2008, 07:11 PM
did you find a gym?

BigTex08
02-15-2008, 10:27 PM
did you find a gym?

A hardcore powerlifting one? No. I would give anything to be part of one of those but searching in San Antonio has brought me nothing. I have a membership to a gym that has eveything I need though. DBs up to 140 8 benches 4 squat racks a couple of platforms. I want to find somewhere hardcore but this place will defintly hold me over. Rgiht?

Travis Bell
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
if you go to the powerlifting watch link I posted above, you can do a search for powerlifting gyms by state. I found two in San Antonio and there are lots in TX. What you'll find in the powerlifting gyms is not only the quality and availibitly of specialty equipment, but the coaching. Finding someone who can help you figure out what your weaknesses are and strengths, direct you on form and even how to prepare for your first meet. Yes you can do this on your own, but the process will go much more smoothly if you have some help

BigTex08
02-16-2008, 01:08 AM
if you go to the powerlifting watch link I posted above, you can do a search for powerlifting gyms by state. I found two in San Antonio and there are lots in TX. What you'll find in the powerlifting gyms is not only the quality and availibitly of specialty equipment, but the coaching. Finding someone who can help you figure out what your weaknesses are and strengths, direct you on form and even how to prepare for your first meet. Yes you can do this on your own, but the process will go much more smoothly if you have some help

wow! I could probably swing by one of those places after work tmrw. So Im guessing these are gyms specificaly catred to powerlifters? I think I've been looking at this all wrong. Up until now I really thought about weightlifting as a means to an end (football) but I really cant look at it like that anymore now weight lifting IS my sport. Thanks Travis you've really helped me sort through all this starting process!

Travis Bell
02-16-2008, 09:13 AM
no problem man. hope things get started alright