PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of my breakfast shake?

greentinted
02-14-2008, 10:50 PM
I have class three days a week. Normally I can get up on my own time and prepare myself some eggs or something, but when I have to get up early for class I usually opt for a quick calorie injection in the form of a shake. I am posting my basic recipe in the hopes that you guys could critique it, make it healthier, or more condusive for muscle building. This shake is designed to hold me through two classes (until lunch) and does a pretty good job at doing so.

1.5 cups skim milk
2 heaping tablespoons of natural peanutbutter
1 tablespoon fat free cottage cheese
1 bananna
1/2 cup oats
1 scoop protein powder

Good? Bad? Suggestions? I was considering adding some olive oil or flax seed oil to the mix. This is taken in addition to my morning multi vitamin.

borracho
02-15-2008, 10:05 AM
why not get up 30 minutes earlier and make your eggs and then take the shake with you to class...? If you say you cant get up 30 minutes earlier, you could always do it the night before..it wont taste as good but are you doing it for taste-quality or nutritional value?

Just my suggestion.

edit: I realize I gave no input on your shake..I will leave that to those with more nutritional knowledge.

schmitty199
02-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I have class three days a week. Normally I can get up on my own time and prepare myself some eggs or something, but when I have to get up early for class I usually opt for a quick calorie injection in the form of a shake. I am posting my basic recipe in the hopes that you guys could critique it, make it healthier, or more condusive for muscle building. This shake is designed to hold me through two classes (until lunch) and does a pretty good job at doing so.

1.5 cups skim milk
2 heaping tablespoons of natural peanutbutter
1 tablespoon fat free cottage cheese
1 bananna
1/2 cup oats
1 scoop protein powder

Good? Bad? Suggestions? I was considering adding some olive oil or flax seed oil to the mix. This is taken in addition to my morning multi vitamin.

Well might as well use whole milk instead of skim, but not a huge deal.

greentinted
02-15-2008, 10:05 PM
why not get up 30 minutes earlier and make your eggs and then take the shake with you to class...? If you say you cant get up 30 minutes earlier, you could always do it the night before..it wont taste as good but are you doing it for taste-quality or nutritional value?

Just my suggestion.

edit: I realize I gave no input on your shake..I will leave that to those with more nutritional knowledge.

I do it because it takes a little while for my appetite to actually kick in in the morning. If I hop right out of bed and try to eat cooked eggs I'd probably vomit. I know it sounds weird but chugging liquid calories is actually easier for me in the morning than eating solid foods. There's also the time factor. This shake takes about 5 minutes to make, drink, and clean up. This leaves me with more time to sleep in the morning.

MrWebb78
02-15-2008, 10:23 PM
my only suggestion would be to add strawberries or blueberries, and add either flax, fish, or hemp oil to it for added fat.

whiteman90909
02-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Why only 1tbs of cottage cheese? That's like 10 calories... I'd bump it up to half a cup.

And +1 to whole milk instead.

WORLD
02-17-2008, 10:41 AM
eeeeeee cottage cheese in a shake?? I'm yet to try that one. Why not throw in a chicken breast while you're at it lol.

I also add frozen berries(really adds a nice touch, plus it keeps it cold), olive oil, sometimes yogurt, and ice cream. I hardly use a banana anymore. Just experiment man.

DirtyRobot
02-17-2008, 12:22 PM
eeeeeee cottage cheese in a shake?? I'm yet to try that one. Why not throw in a chicken breast while you're at it lol.

I also add frozen berries(really adds a nice touch, plus it keeps it cold), olive oil, sometimes yogurt, and ice cream. I hardly use a banana anymore. Just experiment man.

I find that in a shake Cottage Cheese actually gives it a really nice consistency. And I can't STAND plain cottage cheese on its own.

WORLD
02-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I find that in a shake Cottage Cheese actually gives it a really nice consistency. And I can't STAND plain cottage cheese on its own.

Hey I'm willing to give it a try.

whiteman90909
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Hey I'm willing to give it a try.

It doesn't change the shake at all- you can't even taste it.

shazoo123
02-18-2008, 05:02 PM
the cottage cheese ups the cals with healthy casein protein. you should up it in your shake, 1tbspn aint enough to do *****. make it like half a cup, like stated above