PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut or bulk?

clapton924
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi guys,

I've been looming around these forums for a couple years now. I would consider myself a intermediate to slightly advanced lifter. I've been hitting the weights for a couple years now...used to be a weak chubby guy.

Here is some background:

In summer 2006 I bulked over the course of about 5 months from 180 to about 220. In January 2007 I started a slow cut...but then my life quickly changed. I moved to Florida for the summer, and then to New Orleans to start graduate school at Tulane. At my past prime I was about 15% BF at 180lbs and had a max bench around 230.

Bottom line, I never finished my cut....and I have not been on a regular lifting program for about 6 months. Now that life has settled down a bit I am going back to the gym on a regular basis. I've lost some of the muscle I put on during my bulk...and I still have some of the fat from the bulk.

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 205 in these pictures. I've always struggled saying lean...I was the "husky" kid growing up...and about 8 month ago I found out from my doctor I have mild hypothyroidism...which puts a hit on my metabolism...and makes my body store fat. I take a pill for it each day now....but nothing is quite as good as the real thing.

My diet is pretty clean, I mainly eat lean meats, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, whole wheat, whey supplements etc.

Alright enough babbling....here are some pics. What ya think? Bulk some more or cut the fat?

http://gregsphotos.glotzbecker.com/albums/upload/bb/normal_DSC00741.JPG
http://gregsphotos.glotzbecker.com/albums/upload/bb/normal_DSC00743.JPG
http://gregsphotos.glotzbecker.com/albums/upload/bb/normal_DSC00744.JPG
http://gregsphotos.glotzbecker.com/albums/upload/bb/normal_DSC00746.JPG

clapton924
02-15-2008, 08:57 PM
My vote is to pack on a little more muscle. :)

avada
02-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I would say bulk a little more

BFGUITAR
02-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Go either way.
What ever decision you choose it will be a good one.

clapton924
02-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Cool. Yeah, I think I could go either way. Since I've been away from the weights for a few months I am kinda hungry to pound some iron...so I think I will try go gain some more muscle and strength.

QuadzillaRF
02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Bulk up and your farmer's tan and physique is so similar to mine it's scary.

123 champ
02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
i would say cut with plenty of protein. your still going to gain some mass and strength on a cut, especially when you have a higher body fat percentage as you do. just do a gradual cut, losing 1-1.5 pounds a week.

Phenom
02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I say cut.

Blood&Iron
02-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Cut.

Paul Stagg
02-16-2008, 06:16 PM
You are not an intermediate to advanced lifter.

You need to do what you are comfortable with. I'd take a step back, look at how I train and eat, and make some changes. What I think you'll find is that using a very basic beginner routine (think Rippetoe), and very simple nutrition (think Berardi), 6 months from now, you won't know how to deal with all the women following you around.

But that's kind of like complaining that you made so much money you went up a tax bracket.... not such a bad problem to have.

Blood&Iron
02-16-2008, 06:30 PM

You need to do what you are comfortable with. I'd take a step back, look at how I train and eat, and make some changes. What I think you'll find is that using a very basic beginner routine (think Rippetoe), and very simple nutrition (think Berardi), 6 months from now, you won't know how to deal with all the women following you around.

But that's kind of like complaining that you made so much money you went up a tax bracket.... not such a bad problem to have.
I don't have any argument with the advice, though I disagree on the outcome.

MOst girls (there are exceptions) don't care that much about your physique, provided you're not obese or rail thin. As laughable as I found it at first, Magic Bullets (A guide to picking up women) sums up what women find attractive pretty well. Some of the advice is kinda iffy, although much is good.

Paul Stagg
02-16-2008, 06:35 PM
You are totally ruining my motivational technique.

By the time he realises there are no women, he'll be jacked, and my work will be done.

method115
02-16-2008, 06:52 PM

MOst girls (there are exceptions) don't care that much about your physique,

They do care though...

HahnB
02-16-2008, 07:17 PM

MOst girls (there are exceptions) don't care that much about your physique, provided you're not obese or rail thin. As laughable as I found it at first, Magic Bullets (A guide to picking up women) sums up what women find attractive pretty well. Some of the advice is kinda iffy, although much is good.

Women care just as much about men's bodies as we care about theirs.

I wouldn't add anymore body fat, so whatever you have to do to keep that from happening is the way I would go.

Blood&Iron
02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=HahnB;1873488]Women care just as much about men's bodies as we care about theirs.
[QUOTE]
Definitely not.

As I said, there are some that care, but for women looks are a relatively minor element when evaluating a mate. Men, in contrast, focus on it to the exclusion of almost anything else. Women instead are more likely to look at how powerful a man is via things such as: are there other women around him, does he have a large group of people around him who are also successful, etc.

Think about this for a moment: how many fat, schlubby looking guys have you seen with a hot girl and thought 'How the **** did he get her?'. Now think of how many good looking men you've seen with ugly women? I think the numbers will be *slightly* on the side of ugly men + hot women.

Gabrielle
02-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I would cut if I were you.

clapton924
02-17-2008, 02:31 AM

I agree I am not an advanced lifter....though I am definitely not a beginner. I've come a long ways...there was a day my max bench was 135. I've spent a lot of time and energy learning about weight lifting and bodybuilding. My understanding of nutrition has come a long way...and so has the training I do. I've spent a lot of hours in the gym the past few years bro.

I've had ups and downs with my condition and training. Right now I am at one of my lows....looking to get my condition back up.

You guys are getting off track with things here. I dont lift to impress women...I do it for myself. I want to look a certain way...so I'm busting my ass to try and get there. Damn, there are much easier ways to get women than all the hours and years of training in the gym.

I'm just looking for some simple opinions here....bulk or cut. Thats it!

method115
02-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Definitely not.

As I said, there are some that care, but for women looks are a relatively minor element when evaluating a mate. Men, in contrast, focus on it to the exclusion of almost anything else. Women instead are more likely to look at how powerful a man is via things such as: are there other women around him, does he have a large group of people around him who are also successful, etc.

Thats sounds like a book that was talking about women 35-40+. I don't know one girl right now who could care more about if the people a guy hung around with are successful, and espicially if other women are around him. Wether or not he is successful is certainly something I could see being more important then looks.

Paul Stagg
02-17-2008, 08:32 AM
I agree I am not an advanced lifter....though I am definitely not a beginner. I've come a long ways...there was a day my max bench was 135. I've spent a lot of time and energy learning about weight lifting and bodybuilding. My understanding of nutrition has come a long way...and so has the training I do. I've spent a lot of hours in the gym the past few years bro.

I've had ups and downs with my condition and training. Right now I am at one of my lows....looking to get my condition back up.

You guys are getting off track with things here. I dont lift to impress women...I do it for myself. I want to look a certain way...so I'm busting my ass to try and get there. Damn, there are much easier ways to get women than all the hours and years of training in the gym.

I'm just looking for some simple opinions here....bulk or cut. Thats it!

You have to trust me. You're a beginner.

You won't be for long, but based on your description of your training, and your photograph, you need to start out like you've never touched a weight before.

How do I know this?

Because I'm just like you (only I'm richer and better looking).

If I had known everyone would take me so seriously about the near riots you'll start with the finer sex, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

HahnB
02-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Think about this for a moment: how many fat, schlubby looking guys have you seen with a hot girl and thought 'How the **** did he get her?'.

None that I can think of. I've never seen a fat ugly guy with a girl I would consider really hot. There are plenty of guys who are in shape, good looking and are successful.

VikingWarlord
02-17-2008, 10:18 AM

You read Magic Bullets?

Slim Schaedle
02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Greg, if you are working on coming off a period of a "low" as you said, I really do think you eed to follow Paul's advice.

Why?

Because I had to do the exact same thing this fall, after being rather lazy (just living life with the GF) and not training like I had in the past...and I have been at this for over 12 years.

You need to make committed time in grad school, get a solid diet, solid training, eat at what you have found to be your maintenence for a while (even if it takes a few months) and then see what hapens to your body.

Afterwards, the decision of what to do next will be much easier, and actually doing so will be as well.

If you go off on a half-assed whim, I will have to charge you with Nienaberism.

clapton924
02-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Greg, if you are working on coming off a period of a "low" as you said, I really do think you eed to follow Paul's advice.

Why?

Because I had to do the exact same thing this fall, after being rather lazy (just living life with the GF) and not training like I had in the past...and I have been at this for over 12 years.

You need to make committed time in grad school, get a solid diet, solid training, eat at what you have found to be your maintenence for a while (even if it takes a few months) and then see what hapens to your body.

Afterwards, the decision of what to do next will be much easier, and actually doing so will be as well.

If you go off on a half-assed whim, I will have to charge you with Nienaberism.

I hear you Jeff. I've taken what Paul has said seriously.

I'm setting aside committed time to the gym again...its only been a week...but none the less I am getting back on track. I'm going to start something like a Rippetoe program for a few months and see how things go.

I know I can get back into shape...and even surpass my past achievements...its just hard to accept reality sometimes. But that will be the first step in getting my body back on track.

"Nienaberism" crap we won't go there! Its a shame if what you say is true...he had serious potential...it was seeing you two at the gym everyday that really kept me motivated. I remember thinking how much I wanted to look like you guys :)

Slim Schaedle
02-17-2008, 12:51 PM
it was seeing you two at the gym everyday that really kept me motivated. I remember thinking how much I wanted to look like you guys :)

Thanks, I appreciate that.

If you stay consistent there is no reason you can't reach your goals. Treat gym life just like you do your PhD work. Hard work with some fun mixed in.

clapton924
02-17-2008, 01:17 PM
If you stay consistent there is no reason you can't reach your goals. Treat gym life just like you do your PhD work. Hard work with some fun mixed in.

Yeah, I know. By now you must think I am a ****ing idiot. I've really made an effort to implement your advice in the past. Its just frustrating...I often feel like I work really hard for mediocre results. And in turn this can put a real damper on your psychological mindset and motivation. Perhaps I am not as consistent as I think I am. I mean this crap is basically science...thats probably why I am so persistent on figuring this stuff out!

I won't give up.

samj
02-17-2008, 01:58 PM
cutcutcutcut then bulk slowly

galileo
02-17-2008, 02:30 PM
None that I can think of. I've never seen a fat ugly guy with a girl I would consider really hot. There are plenty of guys who are in shape, good looking and are successful.

I've seen a good bit of hot girls with ugly and/or out of shape guys.

Ant
02-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I just posted a pic recently of myself, 5'8" @ 205lbs. So I am a little shorter than you. I can tell you that I have less body fat than you right now and I am considering a cut pretty soon.
So my point you ask? I think its up to you and what utimately makes you "feel good". Do you plan on going to the beach and walking around with your shirt off? Do you just want to get stronger/bigger and keep a shirt on?
Personally I like to be leaner in the summer cuz of the shirt thang and do my bulking late fall and early winter.

Rodzilla
02-17-2008, 04:05 PM
clean bulk only.

Dizzee
02-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Re the women.

What you seem to forget that it might not be the actual body which the women get attracted to but your own self confidence that you have attained through being happier with your body which they pick up on.

Im14SoWut
02-17-2008, 05:05 PM
I'd bulk. It's crazy how close our builds are man.

ballin21
02-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Cut...

and if you have good game, your body doesnt mean **** to women.

However, usually if you are in good shape you have more confidence...

j03
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Cut the gut.

clapton924
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I appreciate the feedback. Just to give you a better idea of my proportions I took some measurements.

Chest: 44"
Arms: 15.5"
Waist: 34"
Quads: 24"
Calves : 16"
Wrist: 7"

My body tends to store its extra weight on my torso....my legs are leaner than my upper body.

Peace