PDA

View Full Version : One Person Basketball Drills

Bassist-Dude
02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Hey everyone, my season has ended for this year, and while I did make some improvements (got more consistent, at least 2 points and usually a block per game, and I went from rarely hitting a free throw to making the majority of them), there is still a whole lot I need to work on.

I'd say the top three on my Needs Improvement list would be:
1. Footwork/Post Moves. To put it plainly, I suck at these. Too much hesitation and because of this I end up traveling a ton.
2. Defensive and Offensive Movement. Much too often I find myself watching the ball or play and realizing how easy it would have been to grab the rebound or block a shot.
3. Shooting. When shooting around on my own, I make a good percent of my shots, but when it comes to in game situations, I'm always that little bit off. Either sending the ball off the backboard and barely missing the bank shot, or almost hitting the swish, but the ball clips the side of the rim and bounces back out.

Now, I know the best way to improve on those things is to keep playing the game, but since the season is over, I dont have anyone to play with. This is where the single person basketball drills question comes in.
What drills are there that I can do to improve on those skills without needing a second person for defense, rebounding, or shooting?
Also, is there anything I can use in place of a heavy, 6 foot 2"-4" center/power forward to practice getting around for post moves?

Thanks for reading!

Im14SoWut
02-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Just play like ur in a game. Put moves on the air and evrything. If u do that it will help u b able to do it bettr on actual ppl. I used to go out 4 about 3.5 hrz and just practice moves. I wuz good for a while. Then I quit doin it and now I really dont evn play, so I no it worx. :thumbup:

Owens14
02-17-2008, 09:59 AM
For footwork one of the best exercises you can do is box work, i.e. shuffling between, over, through them, cone work, and agility drills. As for defense, theres really not too many drills you can do with just one man, I'd just work on improving your vertical and becoming more agile, being quicker in the paint will set you up to have more blocks, and as for shooting, you probably already know theres no magic drill that will improve shooting, just keep practicing and remember when your in a game not to change any mechanics, keep everything fluid, just work on form shooting...good luck man.

Bassist-Dude
02-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks Owens14, would you have any links to sites that may have info on how to set up the cone drills and all that?

Also, for Im14SoWut, your post was incredibly hard to read. If I can type properly, you can too. :P

Owens14
02-17-2008, 04:51 PM
give this one a try,
http://orgs.jmu.edu/strength/JMU_Summer_2000_WebPage/JMU_Summer_2000_Sections/11_Summer_Footwork_Agility.htm

Bupp
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
There is a book called NBA power conditioning its written by some NBA strength and conditioning coaches.

If you aren't going through shooting sequences you should be

eg.

10 right hand layups
10 left hand layups
10 right hand hook shots
10 left hand hook shots
10 jump shots from each elbow
10 3-pointers from five different spots around the arc

then get into tossing the ball to yourself (throw it forward with backspin so it comes back to you) and shoot

10 shots throwing the ball to yourself and taking one dribble to the left
10 shots throwing the ball to yourself and taking one dribble to the right
this should be done from 5-10 different spots on the court

when practicing foul shots make it a conditioning drill. Shoot 2 then run a suicide. repeat.

try to shoot 500 shots/day at least.

Runty
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Make sure you're getting tired while practicing shots. A lot of people just jog around during practice and have great shots but when they're exhausted in a game, their mechanics suffer a lot. Also, if you played on a team why don't you just practice with some of the guys on your team? I'm sure you can find at least one or two guys to practice with.

Bupp
02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
To work on your dribbling you should set up chairs/cones and work on changing direction at full speed, go through the chairs with crossovers, then with behind the backs, then through the legs, then picking a random move each time. For better handles on the spot doing the pete maravich drills every day is decent.

To work on your rebounding play american.

Bassist-Dude
02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks Owens14, thats just about exactly what I was looking for.

Bupp, the shooting practice outlines you gave look great, cant wait to try those out today.

and Runty, I'll see what I can do. I practice on gym days (my gym has an indoor court) and only one of my friends has a gym membership, but he wasnt on the team this year. I should work on organizing something.

Finally, thanks for all the help everyone!

Bupp
02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Just noticed you also want to work on post moves.

First of all you need to know that when you're setting up in the post you don't actually want to be on the block but on the hash mark that is a bit further out from the basket, that way you won't get stuck under the rim/backboard when you do a drop step.

To be a good ball player you need two-three go to moves and to be able to counter off those moves if the defense over reacts.

Bassist-Dude
02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I know where I should be setting up and all that, I just need a site to find more variations or different kinds of post moves.
At the momement, I've got one move that works for both sides, and one for either side :P
Not really the most balanced set ever, so I'm looking for more that I like that I can run from both sides of the key.
I'll try stuff out in the gym today and see how it goes.

hithegym7footer
02-19-2008, 10:09 AM
There should be no excuse for not being able to find a place to play. Go find a park that people play at. A great way to get better is playing against older, more experienced players. Find a park and join a game there. I play at a local park 4 nights a week. You make good connections there. As for post play, Pete Newell is the king of post coaching. He has a couple books, but he also has a video on post drills. It is really designed for atleast two people but just ask someone(brother, dad, uncle, friend, crap even mom could work) to come to the gym for 30 minutes and beat the crap outta you in the post. You get better when you play against people that are better than you and most importantly in the post, bigger than you. So go make some basketball friends, because believe it or not there are a lot of guys just like you that are looking for the exact same thing. And one more thing, it seems like your original post had a lot of excuses, people that make excuses end up on the bench, just go out and do things for yourself, no excuses.

Bassist-Dude
02-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I have no problem finding a place to play, and once a couple of my friends' soccer seasons are over, they'll be getting memberships and coming with me.
I think there are one or two good places for pick-up games near me, so I'll check em out as soon as possible.
I'll look into Pete Newell's stuff too, I've got a brother who'd love an excuse to shove me around for half an hour every day.
Finally, I didnt mean to come off like I was making excuses (no one else to play with, etc), just letting people know why I needed the one man drills. Now I know how to get past the no people problem, so its all good.
Thanks man.

UPtown
02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Shooting: Focus on shooting off the dribble, not just catch and shoot. You should probably shoot 100-200 shots a day. Shooting is mostly just muscle memory. Be sure to always shoot right after you workout in the weight room. Also be sure to remain consistent with your shot, maintain the same follow threw and make sure you are always focusing on a certain part of the basket (a common one being the back of the rim)

Post moves: Master at least one or two moves. Learn how to do a proper up and under move and work on turning middle and doing a sky hook. Also know how to power up off of two feet and finish with both of your hands.

Weight lifting: Use calf raises, plyometrics, and other leg exercises to help increase your vert. My coach strongly recommends the supercat as a machine to start gaining ups. But be careful because this machine, if done wrong, can stunt your growth. Also work on your shoulders, chest and arms so you have the strength to finish strong in the paint.

Bassist-Dude
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
I've got the weightlifting end of things covered, along with plyo programs (Got Air Alert 2 from my cousin from when he played ball, and I bought the Vertical Jump Bible this summer).

Would you know of any resource sites that list different kind of post moves, or should I just stick to watching videos of Centers/Power Forwards on youtube?

Bupp
02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Air alert is garbage, not sure about the verticle jump bible.

Found a website that had a paragraph that does a pretty good job of explaining the post series that you should be going through each workout (my comments in bold):

Block to Block Power Moves
Starting on the right side block, toss the ball out to yourself, catch it in good post position, then make a strong post move to the basket. Start off doing a drop step to the baseline. Grab the ball out of the net, and move to the left side block and repeat the same move.

Master the drop step it is the go to move especially because a lot of defenders in high school ball will be overplaying you on the high side so you can really burn them with a quick baseline drop step when you get an entry pass from the wing.

Next, move to a drop step to the middle of the lane from the right side, followed by the same move from the left side block.

This should look like one really low wide step with a "twohand" power dribble followed by a hook shot

Then do a turnaround jumper to the baseline, followed by a turnaround to the middle of the lane from each side.

Follow that by a show and go move to the middle, and baseline.

Other moves they dont mention is off the power dribble into the middle of the lane you square up to the basket by pivoting forward with your trailing foot and shoot over the defender, or you square up and then do an up and under.

You should progress through a series of 4 to 6 different post moves (as described above), from each side of the lane. Remember to say low, make strong, powerful moves, use a close-to-the-ground crab dribble, and go up strong with the ball, protecting it from the defender with your body.

Learning the "twohanded"/crab dribble is key. It is the one time that you want to bring the ball down low as a post player. These are all the moves you will ever need in the post.

Bassist-Dude
02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Air alert is garbage, not sure about the verticle jump bible.

Unfortunate. I'll stick to VBJ. I was doing that before the season and it was working pretty well. A lot of members around here have recommended the VBJ, so I'll forget AA2.

Also, thanks for the post moves sequence. I'll add that to my practice lay-out.

franciscomanley
04-18-2011, 04:36 AM
i think its hard to learn basketball by yourself. but you can develop your skills even on your own. team coordination skills also matters.

Francisco L. Manley
Defense attorney
www.basketballworkoutstips.com