PDA

View Full Version : Diet as a means to an end, help needed.

realitybites
02-18-2008, 04:01 AM
Hi, I would just like to give a rundown on my stats

5 feet 10, 194lbs
45 years old
Type 2 diabetic on 1500mg glucophage a day
Sedentary lifestyle
Train 2 times a week
Walk 10 miles a week
5-10 mins cardio via a treadmill

Only six anaerobic exercises

Bench press, 200 x 10-12
Deads, 230 x 6-8
tri dips 12-15 reps
Dumbell press 50 pound dumbells x 8-10
Situps
Back extensions

No squats (heresy I know) don't have room or stands or spotter to really do them.

I now want to try to lose as much bodyfat as possible. I don't know what my bodyfat is but I'll hazard a guess at 25% (I am carrying a fair bit)
If I have 17 weeks till the summer months, diet is no object, I am motivated, and strict, almost regimental when it comes to eating, what would be the best type of diet to begin.
I am looking at this as a means to get to a certain point and then modify to maintain. The atkins looks fairly good, although I have read good and bad points for this.

Bicster
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM
1) 1 month on a PSMF (look up Lyle McDonald)

2) 1 month on the Paleo Diet

3) 1 week "off" Still below maint. but add in a couple cheat foods.

Repeat

realitybites
02-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Thanks Bicster, was also looking at the velocity diet, any thoughts on that?

Bicster
02-19-2008, 06:21 AM
try it my way. i have lost 110lbs so far. will send u pics if you dont believe me!

thats not to say the velocity diet wont work, its just a pretty harsh way to go.

best of luck, PM me if you have any questions.

Built
02-19-2008, 10:44 PM
PSMF would be a great place to start. My one gripe with it is it's too low in fat - when I did it, my lips got so chapped they practically fell off. Ease up the calories a little and get in some healthy fats. No need to go crazy, but keep fats at say 60-80g a day when you do it.

WORK YOUR LEGS!!! You can do deads and front squats. I don't have a spotter either and I'm your age. If I can do it, so can you.

Good luck!

realitybites
02-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the input. I am going to change my diet drastically after getting to where I want to be as I have been only getting 10 grams of fat a day for the past year and not lost an ounce. Mis-information, uneducated, I think all these and more can be applied to me. I am so annoyed the amount of times I have visited here and NEVER ASKED about my diet as I thought with all the talk in the media about low fat I had to be going the right way! Looks like I am going to have to re-educate my body as well.

realitybites
03-01-2008, 04:12 AM
Ok, just to give a quick update. Being doing a slightly modified version of the v diet. 5 days in and weighing in at 187.8lbs from 194. Thought I'd weigh myself before having my single meal tomorrow. Have been using semi-skimmed milk and plain milk and egg protein along with some whey. Fats have been through 10ml fish oil and 10ml Udo's oil, along with the fat from the milk. Using fibre supplements and adding ground flaxseed, various vitamin and mineral supplements. Energy levels have been better than before, most of the fat seems to have gone from around my midrift (though as a diabetic I did tend to store more there). As a diabetic I was consuming a lot of fluids a day, now I have to force the liquids down me? All in all, I feel great, no hunger (I think the milk helps here) and feeling better all round. Never took any measurements or pics which is a shame but will post for as long as I follow this. Slightly less protein than is stated but will add some more next week and see what difference it makes. Lifts are still all the same, except maybe a little easier. Will ramp up training next week and see how I feel.

realitybites
03-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Fifteen days in and now weigh 185.7, drastic slowdown and still drinking the same shakes and doing slightly more anaerobic and just the 3 mile walk a day. Lifts roughly the same, give or take a rep either way.

realitybites
03-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Should add, visually, big improvements so pleased in that respect.