PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling off season( Now what)

wrestlingnewb
02-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Well i am in my off season and I don't know what to do, I need to definatly need to put on some major muscle. I didn't cut during the season, I didn;t need to, I lost 13 pounds easy, eating 3500 calories a day, but I was pretty chubby then, now I am just plain scrony. I need to put on some major muscle should I just weight lift, or weightlift with light, or heavy cardio or what.

BPM Osgood
02-19-2008, 07:22 AM
I wrestled Back in High School (102-23 Record, most of my loses in 9th grade) I was a powerlifter as well, which these two sports are very different. I found it very hard going into each wrestling season since I was used to Lifting 1-3 Reps.

With that said, I would be hitting the gym! You will need to hit 8-12 Reps! This will allow you to still pack on the size you want and help you get learn. Make sure you stay on a nice diet and get the Carbs and Protien your body need to support the Weight lifting!

Good Luck Bro!

bas2178
02-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Well i am in my off season and I don't know what to do, I need to definatly need to put on some major muscle. I didn't cut during the season, I didn;t need to, I lost 13 pounds easy, eating 3500 calories a day, but I was pretty chubby then, now I am just plain scrony. I need to put on some major muscle should I just weight lift, or weightlift with light, or heavy cardio or what.

Back when I was doing judo and ju-jitsu, I wasn't so worried about gaining weight but gaining strength. If you can stay in your weight class and be stronger than the other guys you're going up against, you'll be better than if you gained weight and moved up a class or two.

Try going with a basic 5x5 or WBB program and see how that goes. For wrestling, you should also look into keeping up with HIIT cardio work.

Try to work in a few days a week on technique and wrestling. In my experience, it wasn't the guys who were just strong who were good but the guys who also had solid technique and good skills on top of being strong.

jjfighter
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, my name is Matt, I am a jiu-jitsu instructor and strength guy that works with the guys in our school for gaining strength and size for MMA fights and tournaments. I also wrestled in high school and sucked bad because I was scrawny and too sucked down to have any strength. After HS I became dedicated to fighting and strength.

For wrestling and any combat sport your body needs to be one functional unit. You need to concentrate on your core power, and especially your legs and hip power. Wrestlers need to be explosive, but also be able to go for 6 intense minutes. I believe that the in-season training HS wrestlers go through is amazing conditioning for your intensity. So for your off-season, you should really concentrate on strength and power. And when you're concentrating on strength and power, there are only few exercises that are really worth it.

Deadlifts (Serious size and power exercise)
Squats (arguably the best exercise)
Push Press or Standing Press (full body explosive pressing strength)
Pullups (with weight) (Besides deadlifts, the best back exercise)
Power Cleans (the best exercise for creating explosive power)

You can always add other complimentary exercises as well. Such as rowing, bench press, heavy leg presses, etc.

The main principles are:
Go Heavy (3-6) Reps
Warmup Sets (2-4)
Working Sets (3-5)
Rest (2-4 Minutes)

I like a 4 day training week. Each day we concentrate on a different muscle grouping / push-pull methodology.

If you like I can go into details for you.

Blacksmith
03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
During my off season I try to put on size then cut down back to around the same weight but mixing in strength training like 5x5 will help a lot too. Don't do too much cardio before the season begins cause you want to peak at around the time of regions not too early.

Hazerboy
03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I'll speak from experience:

When I was a freshman in highschool I was 5'9, 119 pounds. by the time I was a junior, I was 5'10, 160 lbs, and 8/10 times I was the strongest guy on the mat. As a senior I weighed 171, and I only wrestled about one guy that was stronger than me.

That being said, you need to decide right now if you're at the right weight for your height, and whether or not you wanna gain weight. True, per pound of bodyweight you wanna be strong, but if you're tall and lanky its hard to make that happen. Its hard to get faster and stronger at the same bodyweight when you don't have much muscle to begin with. In my case it was obviously ideal to put on some weight. Is it for you? Thats for you to decide.

Putting on weight is incredibly hard--I can almost guarantee that you won't eat enough to begin with, you'll probably still be in the mindset that you're "getting fat." This happened to me the summer between my sophomore year and my freshman year - I maybe gained 5-10 lbs. I got stronger, though not alot. I simply wasn't eating enough. This changed the next year when I started cramming food down my throat and I put on 30 lbs of muscle in 3 months, on about the same routine as I had before.

That being said, I think others here have already offered some sound advice for training. Don't train like a bodybuilder. Do heavy, compound movements with low reps. If you want something a little more specific, I would really look into "Dinosaur Training" by brooks d. kubik. This book is all about basic strongman/strength training that is s what you need as someone who has a moderate amount of experience looking to gain some strength. This book also has a lot of info in grip training and awkward lifts training (sandbags, barrels, logs, etc). This is something usually overlooked when training for wrestling--barbells are great, but the kind of force you're applying against your opponent isn't going to be nice and balanced with a handle to hold onto. Its going to be awkward and a pain just to keep a hold on, which is why grip training and training with awkward objects will really help a wrestler. Kubik goes into great depth about this in his book, so I would really check it out.

Next I would give a word to the wise about finding a routine in general. You're probably going to spend a lot of time on the internet browsing around looking for the "best" routine. You'll come across a lot of complicated ones which may or may not help you, all claiming to be "the BEST." Let me remind you that he "best" routine is the one that works BEST for you. Thus, when starting out I would look into something simple and general (such as whats listed in dinosaur training) and stick with it. When I was starting out I got caught up in in a lot of different complicated routines, ended up switching a lot, and made a lot less progress than I would have if I had just picked something simple and stuck with it.

Finally, I want to revert back to something I said in the beginning of my post -- 8/10 times I was the strongest guy on the mat, but I only won a little over half of my matches. Mind you, I was in one of the toughest wrestling hot spots in the country (Oak park high school, for instance, a team in my conference, has placed in the top 5 nationally in the largest high school division for the past few years), but my point was that I didn't concentrate on my weaknesses. In the off seasons behind my senior year i brought my squat from 345 to 385 and my deadlift from 385 to 420. My best chinup went from bodyweight + 60 to bodyweight +85, but my record didn't improve that much. I was great at takedowns but poor at escapes and top work - I should have wrestled freestyle and drilled a lot more.

So, to sum this up, evaluate your weaknesses - do you need to gain weight or stay at the same weight class and get stronger? Where are you weakest - hips, chinups, squat, bench press? Is your technique solid or should you be drilling that too? Are you in shape during the season or gasping for air (it only takes few weeks to get in shape, by the way, so I would safe conditioning and HIIT until a few weeks before the season starts)? Answer these questions and you should be able to decide what direction your training needs to go.

ElCangri787
05-04-2008, 11:19 PM
well my freshmen yr i wrestle 171's n got murder i didnt win a match soph. yr i only won 4 matches same weight, and then the summer after soph yr i was like screw this im gonna really get some muscle nows that whole summer i lifted i wasnt rip i was just both fat and strong. so my junior yr i came into the season weight-in at 185 it fell ok wrestling there but not quite wat i expected. so i decide to go 171's one more time, i gotta tell u it was the best decision i made i murder ppl in JV then i murder ppl in V. didnt get the V #1 spot cuz i couldnt beat out the senior that had it but i came close tho. so all my wins were pins execpt two one was by 3pts at 189's weight-in 171 n the other one was by a TKO.
the only match i lost on JV was at the distric tourney that one skool brought down one of their Varsity guys down. did ok he was rank in county
n then this yr im keeping my weight pretty good at 185 if i want to go 171 ill just put on trash bags and bearly make the weight n then take pedialight
but now all im doing is lifting 3 times a week and wrestling 2 + taking Muscle Milk b4 and after i lift

bill
05-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Check youtube there are some good workout routines geared for wrestlers. Pulling sleds (sprints) that sort of thing. Your best thing to do is wrestling itself, find some camps, some summer tournaments, that is how you get better. The best guys overall are dedicated and will wrestle all off season for the most part, if you find that hard get in some jiu jitsu or mma training or judo, the conditioning will help.

You can win a lot of matches being strong but conditioning is usual what seperate 1st and 2nd place.

If that doesn't work check out Reggie warren jr. on youtube...lol just for fun