PDA

View Full Version : sweet potatoe chips

BCorn
02-19-2008, 07:49 AM
i think there was once a post on here about making baked sweet potatoe chips. I have been trying these with some luck but i still don't have it exactly right. the way i have been doing it is to slice them as thin as possible, coat them with a little olive oil, season, put on baking sheet and bake. any body else making these. any sugeestion would help. mine are not really getting crispy like a chip. taste good though. thanks.

RinkerxX
02-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Fry them in olive oil? they will get golden brown and crisp.

RedSpikeyThing
02-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Try baking them at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. I always have trouble with them sticking, though :(

bas2178
02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
i think there was once a post on here about making baked sweet potatoe chips. I have been trying these with some luck but i still don't have it exactly right. the way i have been doing it is to slice them as thin as possible, coat them with a little olive oil, season, put on baking sheet and bake. any body else making these. any sugeestion would help. mine are not really getting crispy like a chip. taste good though. thanks.

How thin are you cutting them?

I usually cut mine about 1/8 inch wide, coat a baking sheet with oil and then bake them at around 425 F for 25-35 minutes. You need to stir them a couple of times while they're baking and flip them at least once.

If you're going to try frying them, I'd recommend using an oil that has a higher smoke point than olive oil. And olive oil has a weird taste if you use it for frying.

BCorn
02-19-2008, 01:44 PM
i would prefer to bake them. should they be refigerated after cooked?

Ben Moore
02-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't think so - just store them in an air tight container.

Angler
02-28-2008, 09:20 AM
I cut a potato length wise in half and then in half again so you end up with quarters. I do this so my potato peeler is as long as the now quartered potato is wide. Keep running the peeler down the length of the potato to get very nice thin even chips.

Use a cookie cooling rack on the cookie sheet. The wire grate type to keep the would be chips out of the water that comes out of them and also lets them cook from dry heat on both sides at once. No oil needed this way.

Cook in the middle of the over on 350 until done. Edges just start turning brown when crispy. Everyone in my family likes them at a diff stage. I leave mine on longer and turn then light brown all over while my daughter prefers hers prior to them becoming crispy..

Let them cool completely before putting them in a ziplock bag on a paper towel. This will collect the moister in the air before the chips do. Store in the fridge. They will stay crunchy this way.

Jay

RedSpikeyThing
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
:withstupi: That's an awesome way of doing them.

Ben Moore
02-28-2008, 10:55 PM
yes it is - that solves my having to use oil to keep them from sticking. Doing it tomorrow!

dividend
03-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Trader Joe's sells Sweet Potato Chips -- they weren't bad. Only bought them once though.