PDA

View Full Version : Do quarter squats have their place in powerlifting?

BFGUITAR
02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Im just kind of wondering if anyone actually does these as a tool.

I can see them being more dangerous for sure, but I'm sure it can help people get use to very large amounts of weight on their back. So lets say a person squats 315, loading up 405 and doing some quarter squats might make 315 feel lighter?

I'm not sure which is why I'm asking.

Lones Green
02-20-2008, 10:51 AM
if i wanted to have a lot a weight on my back i'd probably just do heavy walkouts. couldn't doing quarter squats compromise your form?

RickTheDestroyer
02-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I've gotten in the habit of unracking my stronger training partner's squat weights pretty regularly. I don't quarter squat it because then I'd have to walk it out, but I'll unrack it and hold it for a few seconds. Do them in with the pins in the rack set really high if you're worried about it.
I'll also periodically do fairly high box squats (3" above parallel or so) with heavier weights and substantial band or chain tension. I think getting used to the heavier weight on my back has helped tremendously.

Travis Bell
02-20-2008, 11:00 AM
yeah doing heavy walkouts is a better idea if you want to get used to heavier weights. quarter squats are not the best idea because they you start to compromise your feeling for depth in a hurry

brihead301
02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Plus they're really hard on the knees, aren't they?

BFGUITAR
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Plus they're really hard on the knees, aren't they?

That was my rationale.

So than I guess of ME lower day after I hit my max I should do some heavy walkouts? Something like 30% more than my max?

Sidior
02-20-2008, 11:27 AM
That was my rationale.

So than I guess of ME lower day after I hit my max I should do some heavy walkouts? Something like 30% more than my max?

If unracking your weights and setting up is one of your issues then go for it. If not I wouldn't worry about making it much of a priority.

Like Rick said I also think high box work or heavy band tension overloads the top end much more safely than quarter squats.

RickTheDestroyer
02-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Depending on what you're squatting, 30% over might be pretty rough. I usually do 30-70 pounds over my max, sometimes a little more. In general I'll shoot for a little over whatever my next PR attempt will be.
I'm at a point that I've been able to squat anything (in briefs) I can walk out... and then there's the fear of walking it back into the rack. 525 was heavy but doable, but 600 pounds on my back feels impossibly heavy.

brihead301
02-20-2008, 11:48 AM
That was my rationale.

Personally, I'd rather do walkouts over 1/4 squats just to protect my knees. I find that just holding the heavy weight on my back and not even squatting with it is hard. So, I guess it would make sense to prepare yourself for that by practicing holding heavier weights on your back. See what Rhodes or some of those other heavy squattin bastards thinks about it.

jtteg_x
02-20-2008, 11:55 AM
BFGUITAR, if your hitting the very top end of the squat, i would stick with the basics of bands and high box squats.