PDA

View Full Version : 10 things i've learned here (hopefully all true)

peatr99
02-20-2008, 01:03 PM
i'm am working out and about to start dieting which i guess is a cut. here are a few things i've found through searching this site and read in various threads and just want to make sure they are accurate so i am heading in the right direction

1. not eating and doing cardio first thing in the morning will result in burning more muscle than fat
2. diet should be built around 1g/lb of body weight, and .5g/lb for fat, with carbs filling in the rest.
3. i have to actually eat fat to lose fat
4. alcohol is very bad, it slows your metabolism and decreases testosterone and i should dump out my bottle of Macallan 18.
5. i will likely get slightly weaker as a result of this diet
6. the ridiculous amount of cholesterol i injest with my breakfast of 4 or more eggs will NOT cause me to have a heart attack on the spot
7. eating small meals throughout the day will keep my metabolism up and help burn more fat.
8. eat protein before bed, fats and carbs earlier in the day
9. i should eat way more fish
10. natty pb every day is standard.

aren't fruits and vegatables and starch carbs? am i not avoiding those?

the main problem i have is eating enough fat without the carbs or too much sodium. can i eat chicken wings while on my diet? low in carbs high in fat and protein!

edit: oops meant to say NOT in #6

Paul Stagg
02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Double check 4, 5, 6, and 8.

And don't overthink this. Start with simple, and stay with it until it doesn't work any more.

WBBIRL
02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
7's been disproven, its a myth that eating small frequent meals will do anything other then have you being constantly hungry.

A better approach is to stay hungry as long as you can in the AM and eat bigger fuller meals from then on. That way you can feel full and don't have to go to bed hungry.

Anything deepfried is a no no. I suppose if you baked the wings and didn't pour some calorie loaded sauce on them (IE hotsauce is ok but hotsauce with a stick of butter melted in it wouldn't be ok)

Dietary fat (eating fat in your diet) is good for you if you eat the right kinds. Avoid transaturated and saturated fats. Omega 3's and 9's are good.

Try carb cycling, a lot of people on this forum and others have great results with it.

QuadzillaRF
02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
i'm am working out and about to start dieting which i guess is a cut. here are a few things i've found through searching this site and read in various threads and just want to make sure they are accurate so i am heading in the right direction

1. not eating and doing cardio first thing in the morning will result in burning more muscle than fat
2. diet should be built around 1g/lb of body weight, and .5g/lb for fat, with carbs filling in the rest.
3. i have to actually eat fat to lose fat
4. alcohol is very bad, it slows your metabolism and decreases testosterone and i should dump out my bottle of Macallan 18.
5. i will likely get slightly weaker as a result of this diet
6. the ridiculous amount of cholesterol i injest with my breakfast of 4 or more eggs will NOT cause me to have a heart attack on the spot
7. eating small meals throughout the day will keep my metabolism up and help burn more fat.
10. natty pb every day is standard.

aren't fruits and vegatables and starch carbs? am i not avoiding those?

the main problem i have is eating enough fat without the carbs or too much sodium. can i eat chicken wings while on my diet? low in carbs high in fat and protein!

edit: oops meant to say NOT in #6

1: I do this 4-5 times per week and it's working for me. Lost 10 pounds of fat in 2 months.
2: It's good to hit your percentage but you can still gain weight if you exceed your maintenance caloric intake.
3: It's all about creating a calorie deficit. As long as you keep your calorie below your maintenance, you will burn fat. I'm eating good fats (EFA) because it's good for the joints and heart.
4: Alcohol is just liquid candy. I drink 1 or 2 beers over the weekend and eat less and/or more cardio to compensate for the drinking.
5: If you train carb depleted you will be weaker. That's why you lift on low or high carb days.
6: I eat 6 eggs every morning and my cholesterol is fine.
7: Only reason I see to spread meals to 5-6 is because your body can only absorb up to 40-50 grams of protein.
8: As long as you create a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter when or what you eat.
9: I eat Fish for the EFA and supplement with Fish Oil every meal.
10: I eat normal Jiff's because Sam's Club doesn't carry Natty PB.

Eating a lot of veggies keeps me full and is low in calories. I eat 6-8 pounds of broccoli in a week. I eat fruits only on low and high carb days.

peatr99
02-20-2008, 08:35 PM
ok wow thanks for all the help, i guess even the search function isn't invincible!

i think i see my problems, i eat too much fruit because i relied on advise from the doctor and other "health people" told me its good to eat lots of fruit. same thing with the lack of fat in my diet. but now i'm on the right track

and i guess i'll have to replace my scotch with fish oil :(

Bupp
02-20-2008, 08:42 PM
There are definitely mixed opinions about #1.

WBBIRL
02-20-2008, 09:37 PM
1: I do this 4-5 times per week and it's working for me. Lost 10 pounds of fat in 2 months.
2: It's good to hit your percentage but you can still gain weight if you exceed your maintenance caloric intake.
3: It's all about creating a calorie deficit. As long as you keep your calorie below your maintenance, you will burn fat. I'm eating good fats (EFA) because it's good for the joints and heart.
4: Alcohol is just liquid candy. I drink 1 or 2 beers over the weekend and eat less and/or more cardio to compensate for the drinking.
5: If you train carb depleted you will be weaker. That's why you lift on low or high carb days.
7: Only reason I see to spread meals to 5-6 is because your body can only absorb up to 40-50 grams of protein.
8: As long as you create a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter when or what you eat.

Eating a lot of veggies keeps me full and is low in calories. I eat 6-8 pounds of broccoli in a week. I eat fruits only on low and high carb days.

Can you support that claim? I was unaware there was a limit on an amount your body could take in at one time. I understand naturally there is some limit, you can't eat 10 pounds of protein powder in a day... but I thought it would be well over 40-50 g at a time.

AKMass
02-21-2008, 06:26 AM
#7 is covered pretty extensively here:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=107106

brihead301
02-21-2008, 07:02 AM

I'm gonna have to disagree with your #8. Although I don't know of any scientific claims off hand to back it up, I truly believe that eating 3000 calories of healthy foods will yield much better results then eating 3000 calories of junk foods. Healthy foods such as meats, eggs, veggies, oatmeal, etc. are quality calories. Junk foods such as candy, fast foods, etc... are not quality calories, and will not be used by your body the same way. Therefore they will not give you the same results.

QuadzillaRF
02-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Can you support that claim? I was unaware there was a limit on an amount your body could take in at one time. I understand naturally there is some limit, you can't eat 10 pounds of protein powder in a day... but I thought it would be well over 40-50 g at a time.

This was told to me by a nutritionist years ago and it may be wrong. I don't have a scientific "study" to back it up.

I'm gonna have to disagree with your #8. Although I don't know of any scientific claims off hand to back it up, I truly believe that eating 3000 calories of healthy foods will yield much better results then eating 3000 calories of junk foods. Healthy foods such as meats, eggs, veggies, oatmeal, etc. are quality calories. Junk foods such as candy, fast foods, etc... are not quality calories, and will not be used by your body the same way. Therefore they will not give you the same results.

I agree with your statement but what I was pointing out to the OP that if you ate more calories than you burn, you will get fat; Even eating healthy foods. Yes, you can cut eating junk. Friend eats McDonald's Quarter Pounders, Pizza buffets, and competing in a show in March at 8% bf. Would I recommend it? Hell no. But it can be done if you realize it's all about calories in and calories out.

I'll use your 3000 calorie example. Say person A and person B both have a metabolism of 2500 calories per day. Person A eats 3000 "Clean-Healthy" calories and person B eats a regular Snicker's bar for breakfast and lunch and eats a can of tuna and salad with fattening salad dressing for dinner. Person B's diet is majority "Junk" food. That's roughly 1500 calories. Who will be cutter assuming they both train with the same routine and intensity? My money is on B.

Person A will gain 1 pound of muscle and fat a week.
Person B will lose 2 poiunds of muscle and fat a week.

Assuming 1 pound is 3500 calories.

No doubt if person B ate "Clean" by getting the macros in, he will minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss.

Paul Stagg
02-22-2008, 07:01 AM
This was told to me by a nutritionist years ago and it may be wrong. I don't have a scientific "study" to back it up.

It is wrong. The reason you don't have a study is because there isn't one.

I wish I could go back in time and cut out the tongue of the person who started this myth.

peatr99
02-22-2008, 08:44 AM
so theres no limit on the protein you can absorb in a meal?

Rock Steady
02-22-2008, 08:52 AM
It is wrong. The reason you don't have a study is because there isn't one.

I wish I could go back in time and cut out the tongue of the person who started this myth.

Bill Phillips didn't start it, but I do feel that he's one of the main reasons it's so popular today.

Notorious
02-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Is #1 really true? I always had trouble doing cardio after eating because I would get stomach cramps.

blasphemy
02-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Is #1 really true? I always had trouble doing cardio after eating because I would get stomach cramps.

Also cruious on this one. I do cardio and weights at 6 AM have a protein shake at 7:30 and don't eat anything real until 8:30 - 9. I gotta figure doing this hurts my workout somewhat but doing a morning workout is the only way I can work fitness into my day and I don't want to get up and eat right away.

dougyp
02-25-2008, 02:01 AM
1: You will burn muscle and fat while doing cardio no matter what. The only thing you can do to try and keep your body from cannibalizing muscle tissue is to eat carbs before exercising. Different exercises will affect that muscle burning tendency differently (jumping rope, for example, will not burn up more muscle than say, distance running). The whole concept behind bulking and cutting is that in your bulking cycle you want to take into consideration the fact that you will lose muscle during your cut. So it's ok.

2: Do break up your meals... this will ensure that your body is not storing ANYTHING as fat. Don't eat carbs and protein together. (you still need to eat breads and vegetable, but good carbs (check out the glycemic index) will not be stored as fat). Fitday.com is a great way to find out how much calories your basal metabolism burns (how many calories you burn by just existing). Keep your calorie intake just above that. That way, you will always have a caloric deficit. If you start feeling lethargic and depressed (emotionally) however, eat something. The body has a VERY tough time turning protein into fat. So if you MUST eat something, eat some veggies, and if that's just not enough, eat some protein.

3. Don't use the word fat in this context. You do not eat fat to lose fat... EFA's (essential fatty acids, more commonly refered to around here as omegas 3, 6 and 9) are probably the most important nutrient the body needs to be healthy in a general aspect. They are so important, in fact, that we would die without them. They simply optimize your body as a muscle making, fat burning machine.

4. The body will use first the most readily available source of energy. Alcohol is even more easily broken down in the body than table sugar. Alcohol will slow down your metabolism and clog up your liver, it may not make you fat by itself but it will hinder your body's ability to burn it.

5. You may, you may not. Everyone's different. It will, no doubt take some time for your body to get used to the lack of calories and you will feel tired at first, which will make you feel weak, but as long as you break up your meal and eat when you're hungry you should be able to handle it.

6. Eggs are good, but I don't know about 6 in one meal. That's a lot. I eat four in the morning, on a bulking cycle. I would never eat that many on a cut, though.

7. Like I said before, do break up your meals. It will help ensure that you don't go over your calorie limit and you will still have energy throughout your day as you need it.

8. I'm not 100 percent sure about this one... but I would agree with you that eating carbs before bed should be avoided. It doesn't really make much sense anyway, it's not like you're going to need the energy. I don't know about fats though, I think fats are fine at any time of the day.

9. Fish is good... I especially like tongol and chunk light tuna. You can get fresh atlantic salmon canned, that's an awesome source of protein.

By the way...

Don't train carb depleted... eat complex carbs before you train (an apple or a banana or even a carb shake with half the serving size.) And make sure you burn em up good. Then, after your workout, eat a good amount of protein.

donnie165
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM

I agree with your statement but what I was pointing out to the OP that if you ate more calories than you burn, you will get fat; Even eating healthy foods. Yes, you can cut eating junk. Friend eats McDonald's Quarter Pounders, Pizza buffets, and competing in a show in March at 8% bf. Would I recommend it? Hell no. But it can be done if you realize it's all about calories in and calories out.

I'll use your 3000 calorie example. Say person A and person B both have a metabolism of 2500 calories per day. Person A eats 3000 "Clean-Healthy" calories and person B eats a regular Snicker's bar for breakfast and lunch and eats a can of tuna and salad with fattening salad dressing for dinner. Person B's diet is majority "Junk" food. That's roughly 1500 calories. Who will be cutter assuming they both train with the same routine and intensity? My money is on B.

No doubt if person B ate "Clean" by getting the macros in, he will minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss.

I thought 0.5 lbs of muscle a week was god i doubt theyed gain 1lb

mikesbytes
02-28-2008, 04:04 PM

1: You will burn muscle and fat while doing cardio no matter what. The only thing you can do to try and keep your body from cannibalizing muscle tissue is to eat carbs before exercising. Different exercises will affect that muscle burning tendency differently (jumping rope, for example, will not burn up more muscle than say, distance running). The whole concept behind bulking and cutting is that in your bulking cycle you want to take into consideration the fact that you will lose muscle during your cut. So it's ok.

Have seen material in the past that discusses fat burning zones, based on a percentage of you max heart rate.

I'm interested in the discussion papers on this topic, do you have any links?

ZeroBurn
05-07-2008, 01:28 AM

i can't vouch for metabolism and testosterone, but another consideration is it's been shown to reduce protein synthesis, i believe up to 80%. think it was a study linked from one of the alcohol threads in this forum, don't quote me on that number. if i drink, i don't do it on a workout day (my splitt's MWF, so i'll go out on a saturday). taking shots immediately following a workout probably isn't going to help build muscle, then again on a cut this may not be as drastic as on a bulk.

this is tricky. won't cause you to die on the spot, keep in mind there's a difference between dietary cholesterol and what your body produces. if you're eating a LOT of cholesterol regularly (over what your body produces) it could be bad in the long run.

i was actually under the belief it was opposite. i eat fats and protein at night, the fat and caesin protein i eat ensure a long digestion time, meaning my body'll have a steady source of nutrients while i'm passed out. early in the morning you'd want to replenish your body after the 8-12 hr fast you were just on, so quick-digesting carbs and protein would hit the spot- a fatty breakfast would slow digestion and take longer for the nutrients to get absorbed.

to a certain point, watch the mercury, especially fresh fish. canned tuna you're less at risk.

shots of olive oil is a cheap way to get a lot of healthy monounsaturated fat in your diet. it'll help counter all the cholesterol you're eating as well.

mistergalarza
05-07-2008, 06:52 AM

Curious about this, I'm sure the guy eating a snickers bar and junk will have worse body composition. He will be thinner, but the effects of eating junk over quality properly rationed macros has to have taken effect as well.

bas2178
05-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Curious about this, I'm sure the guy eating a snickers bar and junk will have worse body composition. He will be thinner, but the effects of eating junk over quality properly rationed macros has to have taken effect as well.

A big difference between "junk" and clean food is the caloric density. For example, the snickers bar is about 2 oz and is 280 calories. To get an equivalent amount of calories from steamed broccoli is about 6 cups or about a whole pound of raw broccoli. Likewise, for skinless, cooked chicken breast, it's about 5.5 ounces. So it's a lot easier to add in a lot of calories with junk food than it is with unrefined foods.

nazmi
05-07-2008, 08:15 PM
do the switch over number 8

mistergalarza
05-08-2008, 09:35 AM
A big difference between "junk" and clean food is the caloric density. For example, the snickers bar is about 2 oz and is 280 calories. To get an equivalent amount of calories from steamed broccoli is about 6 cups or about a whole pound of raw broccoli. Likewise, for skinless, cooked chicken breast, it's about 5.5 ounces. So it's a lot easier to add in a lot of calories with junk food than it is with unrefined foods.

What I mean is, eating the same calories, the composition on an individual eating high protein, controlled fat and carbs will obviously be better looking than on the snicker eating guy that's losing weight. Right or wrong?

ZeroBurn
05-11-2008, 01:53 PM
What I mean is, eating the same calories, the composition on an individual eating high protein, controlled fat and carbs will obviously be better looking than on the snicker eating guy that's losing weight. Right or wrong?

Regardless of if there's a difference in physical composition, there'll be a difference in the health of the individual. For example, a snickers laden diet of equivalent calories to someone eating, say oatmeal and broccoli. There's other considerations to take into account than the calories- the complex carbs in the starchy oatmeal is preferable to simple carbs, the fiber helps with digestion and cholesterol, and there's also vitamins and minerals. snickers also contains transfat, which you definitely want to avoid.