PDA

View Full Version : lift anyway?

Mission
02-20-2008, 06:36 PM
It's gonna take about two weeks for my shipment of whey protein to arrive (just last week I finished my 10 lb bag). I don't want to give up lifting until then, but with whole foods I probably won't be able to get 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight. Should I lift anyway?

Klotz
02-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Whey is a SUPPLEMENT. You don't need it to lift. Just go buy a tub of cottage cheese; it's the same thing.

cphafner
02-20-2008, 06:57 PM
do they not sell chicken, steak, eggs, milk, cheese, or fish near you?

ShockBoxer
02-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Drink a few more glasses of milk and add another meat meal. People have gotten strong for thousands of years without protein powder.

azma
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
10 lb bag? that's a lot of protein powder.

If you're reluctant to lift because you don't want to change the protein-to-carbohydrate-to-fat ratio in your diet (as in, you rely on protein powder because it gives you a significant amount of protein without very much carbohydrate and fat content), don't forget that the whites of 12 large eggs pack about 44 grams of protein (176 kcal), 1 gram of fat (9 kcal), and 2 grams of carbohydrates (8 kcal). It's not the same protein composition as whey, but it's arguably as good for a bunch of reasons, including a high biological value (protein absorption efficiency) and the fact that egg protein is a good source of methionine (an amino acid which your body cannot produce on its own, but needs in order to synthesize creatine).

drew
02-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Just eat and lift.

It's that simple.

Giovanna360
02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
So basically your saying that because you ran out of a supplement designed to assist the process, you are willing to endure even greater losses by quitting altogether? Do you live in Guam? If there isn't a GNC near by just eat a lot.

Bupp
02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Lift, eat, sleep, repeat.

JesseM
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
It's gonna take about two weeks for my shipment of whey protein to arrive (just last week I finished my 10 lb bag). I don't want to give up lifting until then, but with whole foods I probably won't be able to get 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight. Should I lift anyway?

I understand what you're saying, but I think with some effort you can easily reach the 1 gram per lb of bodyweight rule. Provided you don't weigh a ton, it's not that hard at all to get your protein needs with out whey. Heck just drink millk with each meal and it should get you closer. Whey just makes it a bit easier than it already is.