PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what the hell

berfles
02-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes this is another "can't gain weight" thread.

I was doing good before I recently got a **** job at Walgreens Distribution Center. The first week I was there I lost 5lbs and went down to 165ish. I beefed up my one protein shake to 660 calories and my "bigger" shake is around 1300. When I go to work, I take the smaller shake as a snack for my first break, and I take a sandwich for my lunch break and I'll eat something else. Then when I get home, I make the bigger shake, eat dinner, work out, make the PWO again, and that those have been my days since I started this stupid job. Basically it came down to at least 4300 calories a day, and I found out last week that I lost yet another pound eating that much.

I took the week off a couple weeks ago because I was feeling very sick of working out. Last week I started up again and accidentally added 10lbs to my bench for my 5x5, but I still managed 5 reps at the heavier weight, and then 5,5,5,4 with my usual weight. I figured I'd get back up to the weight I was at before my break last week, but I still couldn't finish all 25 reps with my usual weight. That pissed me off, but it wasn't so bad because my squat went up.

It just really irks me how I can eat 4300 calories a day and lose 5lbs in a single week. I know you're supposed to add like 300-500 calories to your total if you aren't gaining, but I am so fed up with everything I was thinking of making one more 1300 calorie shake before bed like I used to so I'd be around 5500 a day. I don't even care if I got fat anymore, I'd be able to burn it off in a day. Should I do that or just try adding a few hundred more? If I lost 5lbs eating 4300, I doubt I'll gain anything if I eat 4700.

I just felt like bitching I guess. On top of everything else I have tendonitis in both my forearms because of the job, so maybe that's why my workouts sucked even after my break too.

Things like this really take the wind out of my sails even though it hasn't been a long time since I worked out or much weight loss. I still feel tiny again and feel like ****, like I just lost everything I worked for.

Next week I don't know if I'll be able to work out either because of my damn arms, but I'm going to kick the **** out of my body until it taps out from excessive food.

cphafner
02-21-2008, 09:05 PM
were you consistent with the cals every day, even on the weekend and non-workout days?

berfles
02-21-2008, 09:08 PM
were you consistent with the cals every day, even on the weekend and non-workout days?

Yep, I was. After I found out I lost 5lbs I ate like that every day for two weeks and lost another pound. Two weeks isn't such a long time, but when I was doing well I was gaining almost exactly 1.5lbs a week.

I really slacked off this week and cut out at least 1900 calories because I didn't make my second PWO or my first 1300 calorie shake, so I'm sure I lost a ton more weight this week.

Slim Schaedle
02-21-2008, 09:23 PM
New job......

More physical work?

On your feet more?

More stress?

Beating the **** out of your body b/c you are frustrated or trying to make up for a bad workout or missed day, etc. aint gonna work....but steady consistent effort will.

QuadzillaRF
02-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Is your job physically demanding? Might be burning a lot of calories at work. My last job I would be on my feet and running from place to place caring 50 pound boxes 12hrs a day. I was a hard gainer and found it was more cost effective to eat at a buffet 3x a day. Fixed my weight gain problem really fast.

berfles
02-21-2008, 09:32 PM
New job......

More physical work?

On your feet more?

More stress?

Beating the **** out of your body b/c you are frustrated or trying to make up for a bad workout or missed day, etc. aint gonna work....but steady consistent effort will.

It's a warehouse job, so I'm on my feet 8 hours flying around trying to pick orders. I just asked to get switched to shipping, which is more physical but much slower paced, so hopefully that will help. I'm sure the weight I'm losing is from the job, as I said, I was doing really well before I got it.

I have a web developer interview next week so I'm praying I get that so I can go back to sitting on my ass all day. I've been at Walgreens for about a month and it's been by far the worst job I've ever had.

Slim Schaedle
02-21-2008, 09:36 PM
It's a warehouse job, so I'm on my feet 8 hours flying around trying to pick orders. I just asked to get switched to shipping, which is more physical but much slower paced, so hopefully that will help. I'm sure the weight I'm losing is from the job, as I said, I was doing really well before I got it.

I have a web developer interview next week so I'm praying I get that so I can go back to sitting on my ass all day. I've been at Walgreens for about a month and it's been by far the worst job I've ever had.

You answered everything yourself then.

Compensating more output (work) with more input (calories) isn't an instant 180 degree turnaround.

The body can adjust well to changes, but it is not instant.

Eat, monitor it, adjust it.

berfles
02-21-2008, 09:38 PM
It doesn't seem like I should be losing as much as 5lbs per week when I just added another 400 calories to what I was gaining weight with before either.

Everyone here always told me to just eat everything, and when I did that best I could I started gaining. Now even doing that doesn't work, and I'm getting completely fed up with my body. I swear to god I wish I could stop my damn metabolism, I hate my genetics so much right now.

QuadzillaRF
02-21-2008, 09:40 PM
As soon as I got my desk job, I had to drop my calories by half. Good luck with the interview. Just be honest is the best advice I can give you.

T FLEX
02-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Are you drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day? Could simply be a loss of water weight if you're not staying hydrated.

brihead301
02-22-2008, 09:20 AM
It definately sounds like you are burning a s***load more calories. If 4300 was making you gain only a little bit before, then with all the added physical work it definately would cause this loss in weight now. Still, at 165 lbs. I'd think that 4300 was more then enough.

I'm a little over 200 lbs. and I have a rough estimate of how much I eat each day, and I definately don't think that I'm over 4300. I do have a desk job though, so that would explain the easy weight gain.

Ben Moore
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Bump up your calories a bit, and eat more solid foods. Don't worry about the shakes. From the description you gave above, there was a lot more detail and thought put into the shakes, but not the whole food meals. Could be a coincedence, but I would start there.

Commute
02-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Man, I wish I had this problem. I haven't been below 250 in years and even doing a cutting cycle i'm struggling to get below it. Don't want to hijak thread... just saying! Sitting at a desk 9-10 hours a day is not good for the calorie consumption.

berfles
02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Are you drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day? Could simply be a loss of water weight if you're not staying hydrated.

I suppose that could be some of it, and maybe the arm problems I'm having could be why my workouts sucked, it just seemed like it was from the weight loss. I try to drink from a water fountain whenever I get a chance, but I'll start bringing a bottle of water with me too. I don't really sweat that much but I guess you can still lose hydration.

It definately sounds like you are burning a s***load more calories. If 4300 was making you gain only a little bit before, then with all the added physical work it definately would cause this loss in weight now. Still, at 165 lbs. I'd think that 4300 was more then enough.

I'm a little over 200 lbs. and I have a rough estimate of how much I eat each day, and I definately don't think that I'm over 4300. I do have a desk job though, so that would explain the easy weight gain.

Indeed, I would have thought that as well.

Bump up your calories a bit, and eat more solid foods. Don't worry about the shakes. From the description you gave above, there was a lot more detail and thought put into the shakes, but not the whole food meals. Could be a coincedence, but I would start there.

Maybe if I do what I've been doing, but add a real food before I go to bed of at least 400 calories? If I make that big shake before bed, due to the time I have to sleep and work out, it's like having 8 cups of fluid in you 3 hours before bed. That'll make me not sleep even worse.

I'll try eating around 4800 calories this coming week(s) and try to find something calorie dense before sleep. Any suggestions?

MrWebb78
02-22-2008, 11:15 AM
I've done this type of work for many years. Adding 400 cals a day isn't really much of anything. Couple tips:

-drink tons of water, and/or sports drink

-snack of sunflower seeds or trail mix during your work shift

-add as much as 1500 cals a day. you would be surprised how many cals you are actually burning a day doing physical labor.

berfles
02-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I've done this type of work for many years. Adding 400 cals a day isn't really much of anything. Couple tips:

-drink tons of water, and/or sports drink

-snack of sunflower seeds or trail mix during your work shift

-add as much as 1500 cals a day. you would be surprised how many cals you are actually burning a day doing physical labor.

Ok I'll try adding even more than 400 then. I'll also bring some water with me, but snacking is out because they don't allow you to eat in areas where you work.

SDS
02-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Hazelnuts are awesome to snack on. They're 200 cal's/oz., and that's right at 1000 cal's/cup. It don't take long to eat a cup of them either.

berfles
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Huh, really? I like hazelnuts but I didn't know they were so loaded with calories. A cup of them would be nothing. I'll have to look into getting some next time I go out.

CrazyK
02-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Simply have to eat more to make up for the new calorie expenditure. Try adding in a few double cheeseburgers from McD's a day. Plenty of extra cals in those and only $2 for both of them.

berfles
02-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Hmm, seems like I lost another pound this week. Not near as bad as I thought, I really slacked off from eating due to my second break from lifting. Now I'm around 166lbs.

Today starts the 5000+ calorie journey.

berfles
02-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok, I've been eating over 5000 calories a day all week. I doubt I gained anything because when I got home from work today I jumped on the scale fully clothed and only weighed 172.5, which means I'm well under 170 naked.

If it turns out this is the case by next week, I'm taking creatine to see if that will help me gain more muscle.

Irish Pilot
02-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I wish we could trade problems man...Ive been cutting cals bigtime...hitting up the Nitor and the gym 7 days a week...and I cant lose weight to save my life. My lifts are going up ever so slightly...but no weight loss. Ive got fingers crossed that Im burning fat and adding muscle thereby giving me a stagnant weight...but Im not sure thats realist.

Best of luck to you...and keep up the good work!

Bupp
02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
You probably have lost a bunch of water weight.

berfles
02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
If I lost 5lbs of water weight wouldn't I see some sort of difference? I never drank that much water to begin with but I don't know what retaining water looks like.

Bupp
02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know if you'd see the difference because you look at yourself every day, but if you took a picture on the first day and a picture on the last day you should notice a difference.

berfles
02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Eh, I don't know. It's hard to tell right now, but I guess I didn't really get any weaker. I took 2 our of 3 weeks off and came back to a 5lb less bench, but my squat went up. If I lost 5lbs of muscle I'd be a hell of a lot weaker.

Either way, at this stage and given my past and current trouble of gaining weight, weight is weight and I don't like losing it. Last week I think I was 165lbs so I'll see what I weigh tomorrow. I'm guessing more, but not much, and that means even eating 5000+ a day isn't going to get me past 170lbs.

EDIT: After tonight, my average intake for this week will have been around 5212.4 calories.

berfles
03-01-2008, 10:35 AM
This morning I weighed 166.8lbs. I don't remember what I weighed last week damn it, it was either 165 or 166. Either way, for adding another 1000 calories, that is hardly anything to be happy about.

MrWebb78
03-01-2008, 05:39 PM
a lb a week is a bummer to you? that's 50 lbs in a year. Which would be awesome gains.

berfles
03-01-2008, 08:44 PM
a lb a week is a bummer to you? that's 50 lbs in a year. Which would be awesome gains.

Yes, a pound a week eating 5200 calories (which is 1000 more than what I used to gain 1lb/week at) is a bummer, because that means after a few pounds I'lls tall out again and have to bump it up even more. I cannot physically eat much more than 5500 calories regardless of what people say. I gag eating what I do now.

bjohnso
03-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Liquify it.

berfles
03-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Liquify it.

I already make two 1300 calorie shakes and two 660 calorie shakes. I've been trying to ween myself off and eat real food in place because I think maybe that's way too much liquid for calories.

I'll see what happens next week now that I know for sure what I weighed this week. If I still gain I will be happier, but I'm not holding my breath.

berfles
03-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Lost a small amount of weight last week as well. My bench and squat are at their strongest right now though, so I guess I'll just have to settle for getting stronger and not necessarily bigger until I find another job.

Either that or take creatine and see how that goes.

bjohnso
03-17-2008, 08:16 PM
I already make two 1300 calorie shakes and two 660 calorie shakes. I've been trying to ween myself off and eat real food in place because I think maybe that's way too much liquid for calories.

What is in these shakes? Why would it matter if it was solid or liquid?

berfles
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Because every other person tells me a different thing, that calories are calories and I shouldn't have so many shakes, or that shakes are fine. I figured I'd try something else out but what I'm doing now seems to be working for strength, just not size because I can't possibly eat enough to warrant any size I guess.

In my main shake that is 1300 calories I put 2 cups of milk, ~1/4 cup natural peanut butter, olive oil, one cup of ice cream, ON whey, CarboGain, and I think that's it.