PDA

View Full Version : Looking to gain some weight...Diet

cleanwithit
02-22-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm 6'3 142 lbs, Skinny I know. I only eat about 1-2 meals a day, because I usually don't get hungry. I can go all day without eating and be completly energetic. I know that is not healthy, and I'm willing to change. I've done the calorie calculator thing, and it came out to 2,800 BMR. So I guess I need to consume about 3,300 calories to gain some weight. I need some insight on what I can eat and what I can't eat, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to eat for each meal. One of the worst things is, I do not like vegetables, at all. So, should i take a vitamin for that or something? Thanks.

cleanwithit
02-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Forgot to add, I have a BF of 14.8%

cleanwithit
02-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Anybody?

Tikiman
02-23-2008, 03:01 PM
First of all, start eating three meals a day. It's more of a habit that anything, your body will get used to the routine and eventually become hungry at those times of the day like it is now.

Second of all, man up and eat the veggies. Steam them, put some olive oil on them, whatever you have to do to eat them. Vitamins are not the same they are supplements . To gain weight, eat anything and everything, especially in your case. I'm sure you can gauge what's not healthy. Hit the pasta, brown rice, chicken, and fish hard. Drink milk, whatever percentage you prefer.

Seriously, i'm your weight and 7 inches shorter, and I consume 3,400 calories a day to maintain.

RhodeHouse
02-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Dude, stop counting calories. If we held you up to a light we could see what you ate for lunch. That's not a good thing. If you can chew it, you can eat it. Make:

Beef
Chicken (fried or grilled)
Pasta
Potatoes
Rice
Peanut Butter
Whole Milk
Eggs (the whole damn thing)
Oatmeal

This should be the basis of your diet. If you really want to gain weight, stop being a pussy and start eating. Every meal should be an exercise in glutony. If you're full, keep eating. If you throw up in your mouth, or worse, let it come out, you better refill what you lost. At your size you should realize that you can eat ANYTHING you want. The worse it is for you, the better. Now, before the rest of the health nuts on here chime in, don't eat crappy food for the rest of your life. When you reach your goal weight, you cut out the crappy food and replace it with better choices. At 14olbs, you really shouldn't be worried about what you eat.

Train with barbells and compound movements:

Squat
Deadlift
Military Press
Bench Press
Pull-ups
Bent Rows

You have a goal. Get to it. If you still enjoy eating after 3-4 days of eating, you ain't eating enough.

Watch the 2nd part of this interview.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=61277&tid=146

HahnB
02-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I really don't believe counting calories is over complicating anything. Unless he knows ballpark how many calories he's eating, I can almost guarantee he is going to under-eat. If he eats way too much, the surplus is going to be stored as fat-it's as simple as that. His body can only build so much muscle at once-eating too much can be counter productive.

You don't have to count every single calorie, but like I said-if he isn't around a ballpark figure he's probably going to just continue to under-eat.

People get stay skinny eating 2500 calories when they need 3000 to grow.

People get fat eating 4500 calories when they only need 3000 to grow.

RhodeHouse
02-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I really don't believe counting calories is over complicating anything. Unless he knows ballpark how many calories he's eating, I can almost guarantee he is going to under-eat. If he eats way too much, the surplus is going to be stored as fat-it's as simple as that. His body can only build so much muscle at once-eating too much can be counter productive.

You don't have to count every single calorie, but like I said-if he isn't around a ballpark figure he's probably going to just continue to under-eat.

People get stay skinny eating 2500 calories when they need 3000 to grow.

People get fat eating 4500 calories when they only need 3000 to grow.

We've had this stupid discussion before. If you get fat eating 4500 when you need 3000, your training sucks and you have no clue as to what you're doing. Never counted, and never got fat.

dougyp
02-24-2008, 12:43 AM
The best way for you to start gauging where you should be at is to go on fitday.com. Start tracking everything you eat and here is the trick: for you, 450 grams of carbs and about 250 grams of protein at least is minimal for you to bulk up. I STARTED OUT AT 6'2 AND 155 LBS. LAST SUMMER AND I NOW WEIGH 180 LBS AND I AM AT 13% BODY FAT. I know how hard it is for guys like us to put on weight but if you have the desire to bulk and the will power to eat food like a speed eater all day and lift HARD (NO CARDIO, NO CARDIO THAT CAN COME LATER)... YOU WILL GET BIGGER. Get yourself some cytogainer or any kind of shake that has Carbs AND Protein. You will need about 4000-4500 calories a day, because you probably burn anywhere from 2800-3000 calories just resting. Forget about body fat, you may get fat (probably not, I didn't but you may be different) but fat is nothing to worry about with your metabolism. Stick with it, man, set realistic goals and put your heart into it. You will get big.

HahnB
02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
We've had this stupid discussion before. If you get fat eating 4500 when you need 3000, your training sucks and you have no clue as to what you're doing. Never counted, and never got fat.

Regardless of how hard you train your body can only build muscle so fast.

Brad263
02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
If you really want to gain weight, stop being a pussy and start eating. Every meal should be an exercise in glutony. If you're full, keep eating. If you throw up in your mouth, or worse, let it come out, you better refill what you lost.

That was one of the best comments I have ever seen!!

RhodeHouse
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
That was one of the best comments I have ever seen!!

Thank you, sir.

RhodeHouse
02-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Regardless of how hard you train your body can only build muscle so fast.

Very true, but if you're really training hard, you should be burning off a lot more calories than usual. You have to gain fat to gain muscle. Not a whole lot of fat, but muscle doesn't come on it's own.