PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a Deadlift video, please critique my form!

Dgro
02-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Click here to watch Deadlift-300x3--warmup (http://media.putfile.com/Deadlift-300x3--warmup)

First up is a set of 300x3, then after that it's just my warmups... I put the heavy set first cuz I though you guys wouldn't want to sit there and watch my warmup sets (135x8 and 225x4, for the record).

Anyways I think it looks pretty good...maybe my hips rise a little to fast, or start off too high? I don't know, you tell me.

And, for the record, I got 295x5 last week and was attempting 300x5 this week. This is the first week in about 2 months that I've failed a set. What a week to lose it, huh? <_<

Thanks in advance for any and all advice

Travis Bell
02-23-2008, 08:13 PM
:dj: changing the music will definatly help your form! I'm kidding

Your DL form looks pretty solid. Drop your butt just like an inch more and get a powerlifting belt. Good work

Cards
02-23-2008, 08:33 PM
:dj: changing the music will definatly help your form! I'm kidding

Your DL form looks pretty solid. Drop your butt just like an inch more and get a powerlifting belt. Good work

what? why?

Killa Kurt
02-23-2008, 08:37 PM
what? why?

I'm wondering the same thing. Your form looks good....drop the basketball shoes and pull barefoot, it will help you out a lot I guarantee.

:dj: changing the music will definatly help your form!

I was thinking the same thing, who the **** pulls to that music, but whatever...

Dgro
02-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Nah I don't lift to that music, my camera doesn't record sound so I thought I'd put something random on the video >_>

And do you actually mean I should pull barefoot, or should I just get better shoes?

Killa Kurt
02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Nah I don't lift to that music, my camera doesn't record sound so I thought I'd put something random on the video >_>

And do you actually mean I should pull barefoot, or should I just get better shoes?

Whichever you want to do, try both see which way you can pull more and feels more comfortable.

Travis Bell
02-24-2008, 05:55 AM
I say get a belt not because its going to help your form, but it'll help protect your lower back in a big way. Learn to use it now while you're still figuring out your form. I guess I should say just weightlifting belt, not necessairlly powerlifting belt but I'd still recommend one that is pretty thick and stiff.

Killa Kurt
02-24-2008, 07:16 AM
I say get a belt not because its going to help your form, but it'll help protect your lower back in a big way. Learn to use it now while you're still figuring out your form. I guess I should say just weightlifting belt, not necessairlly powerlifting belt but I'd still recommend one that is pretty thick and stiff.

Travis I hate to disagree with you, but a belt is definately not NECESSARY, it's optional. OP some people say you can pull more with a belt. I've never injured my back and I've been lifting without a belt.....most of the people whom I talk to say they belt up for only heavy pulls.

Chubrock
02-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Travis I hate to disagree with you, but a belt is definately not NECESSARY, it's optional. OP some people say you can pull more with a belt. I've never injured my back and I've been lifting without a belt.....most of the people whom I talk to say they belt up for only heavy pulls.

I think what Travis is implying is to use it while he's learning to brace and push his abs out. I could be wrong though.

Killa Kurt
02-24-2008, 07:32 AM
I think what Travis is implying is to use it while he's learning to brace and push his abs out. I could be wrong though.

If so then I suppose that's a good idea, but I thought that was what our brian was for.....

I say get a belt not because its going to help your form, but it'll help protect your lower back in a big way.

Bracing and pushing your abs out is part of the form, no?

Chubrock
02-24-2008, 07:59 AM
If so then I suppose that's a good idea, but I thought that was what our brian was for.....

A lot of people need to have the sensation of pushing out against something. Though some can get away by just thinking about it, a lot of newer lifters have a hard time using the concept without having any type of feedback.

325rider
04-01-2008, 01:09 AM
^^^ Doing what you guys are saying is bad advice (having a weightbelt so u can push ur stomach out against it...) That can cause hernias and overload of pressure for NO reason. not good.

Sidior
04-01-2008, 01:22 AM
^^^ Doing what you guys are saying is bad advice (having a weightbelt so u can push ur stomach out against it...) That can cause hernias and overload of pressure for NO reason. not good.

You are 100% wrong. It increase inter-abdominal pressure which is a good thing.

Ryan Celli
04-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Dgro,

First I would get new shoes, hard flat soles.
Second, I would change your grip, to an alternating hand grip, one hand over one under.
Third, I would increase your warm up sets.

belt, I would do all your warm ups with out one, and maybe use one for anything your doing 3 reps or less with. Don't bother getting or wearing a bodybuilding style belt that tapers in the front, you need a 4" powerlifting belt .

Your 135 looks good, 225 your changing your foot placement between alot of your reps. You need to find a comfortable stance at your your strongest and keep it! every set every rep.

other than that you look like your doing good!

Chubrock
04-01-2008, 06:27 AM

Don't give advice unless you know what you're talking about.