PDA

View Full Version : 6 pack...

Itsnotaboutme
02-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Okay I started up baseball season and our coach has us running a lot and doing ab work and such. To make a long story short I have always had stomach fat and now I can see my top 2 abs. My question is how can I get the last 4? advice, things that have worked for ya'll... anything will help. I want to have a 6 pack by may because that is when the swimsuit is coming back out.

KingWilder
02-23-2008, 10:19 PM
diet..diet..diet

you need to continue to lower your body fat %...for most people that means getting below 10% to have visible abs

McVein
02-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Okay I started up baseball season and our coach has us running a lot and doing ab work and such. To make a long story short I have always had stomach fat and now I can see my top 2 abs. My question is how can I get the last 4? advice, things that have worked for ya'll... anything will help. I want to have a 6 pack by may because that is when the swimsuit is coming back out.

I never ever...ever see abs, and im pretty lean, i can see an outline and that suits me fine, the only time i ever saw my abs properly since i started lifting was when i cut for a grappling comp... i miss them

Itsnotaboutme
02-24-2008, 12:00 PM
diet..diet..diet

you need to continue to lower your body fat %...for most people that means getting below 10% to have visible abs

What kind of diet are we talking?

Rocket Reidy
02-24-2008, 12:14 PM
no fatty food. or any junk food.
and burning more calories than you eat.
sprinting like crazy and doing stuff like

400m x 4

200m x 6

100m x 8

short uphill sprints
long downhill sprints

instead of doing long distance running

gave me abbs... of course i'm only 145 pounds... but when i started training when i was 130 pounds, i didn't have abbs, so i dont entirely attribute it all to me being skinny...

Built
02-24-2008, 12:50 PM
no fatty food. or any junk food.
and burning more calories than you eat.
sprinting like crazy and doing stuff like

400m x 4

200m x 6

100m x 8

short uphill sprints
long downhill sprints

instead of doing long distance running

gave me abbs... of course i'm only 145 pounds... but when i started training when i was 130 pounds, i didn't have abbs, so i dont entirely attribute it all to me being skinny...

I'd hesitate to say no fatty foods.

I keep my fats HIGH for cutting.

I agree completely with the sprint suggestion though. Endurance training is lousy for fat loss.

Itsnotaboutme
02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd hesitate to say no fatty foods.

I keep my fats HIGH for cutting.

I agree completely with the sprint suggestion though. Endurance training is lousy for fat loss.

Meaning that cardio isn't great for fat loss?

schmitty199
02-24-2008, 07:44 PM

Sprinting is cardio.

powerlifter550
02-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Do lying leg raises and frong kicks.

Crunches only hit the top 4 abs mainly.

Use the other movements to hit the lower 4 abs.

getb1g
02-24-2008, 10:36 PM
drink a 6pack of yuengling every day:evillaugh:

Torrok
02-25-2008, 03:47 PM

you mean there are six different muscles in the abs??? how do i make one side bigger!?:omg:

Built
02-26-2008, 01:35 AM

Correct. It just doesn't burn enough fat. An hour of moderate intensity cardio burns what, 300-400 calories? A pound of fat has 3500 calories to burn off. How much bloody cardio are you going to do? Better to just not eat the candy bar and be done with it.

Sprinting is cardio.

So are deadlifts. ;)

you mean there are six different muscles in the abs??? how do i make one side bigger!?:omg:

Oooh, I gotta hear this!

Hephaestus
03-02-2008, 01:11 PM
The "6 pack" you see is the rectus abdominus. The rectus abdominus have what they call tendinous inscriptions running along them to give the "6 pack" look. The other two anterior abs are the internal and external obliques. The other 3 abs (you dont see these) Are posterior abs consisting of the illiacus the psoas major and minor. There are not 6 abs composing the anterior side of your body.

Tikiman
03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
The key to seeing more noticeable loss from cardio is varying the intensity. In a sense, you can "shock" your body. For example, the next run after my 'long-slow-day' is usually a hard sprint with lots of hills.

Training the abs helps significantly also, and I'm not talking a few sit ups. Ever seen Bruce Lee? My ab workout takes a good 25 minutes.

Still, even with the build of a runner and being naturally skinny, I don't always have chiseled abs. Usually if I up the cardio intensity and downsize the lifting, I get 300 looking results.

Built
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
The key to seeing more noticeable loss from cardio is varying the intensity. In a sense, you can "shock" your body. For example, the next run after my 'long-slow-day' is usually a hard sprint with lots of hills.

I'd rather diet and just lift heavy. LSD running just makes me hungry - and soft.

Training the abs helps significantly also, and I'm not talking a few sit ups. Ever seen Bruce Lee? My ab workout takes a good 25 minutes.

I do three sets of 8 crunches once or twice every week or two.

That's it.

I do 'em weighted though. With a 75-lb dumbbell on my chest. THIS takes me all of four minutes.

Still, even with the build of a runner and being naturally skinny, I don't always have chiseled abs. Usually if I up the cardio intensity and downsize the lifting, I get 300 looking results.

I get soft and fat with this approach, and lose all my size. Guess it depends what look you want.

Tikiman
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I agree with what you said mostly, since while my abs look more toned during higher cardio periods, they feel sluggish as you said. I lift just about as much as I do cardio, and I've been able to keep a 6 pack for almost 2 years. Granted, running can aid the lifting to some extent, if you overdo it, you'll lose mass

About the 25 minutes of abs, I have scoliosis, and the doctor recommended a fair amount of back/abdomen exercises to reduce back pain. Just remember when doing abs, you need to hit the lower, upper, side, and back.

crazedwombat
03-05-2008, 10:16 AM
I do a mix of a couple min ab work and a few weeks ago I had joint issues so we did 60 min of just abs...took a week to recover from that. a couple body weight i.e. 3-0-3 sit up tempo, then reactive with band work, then resistance with the wheel, then burnout with 9s and a few others. Typically since I'm going for explosive we do more stabilization and band work for abs. I'm about 5 lbs off from a good 6pack now and I can see the outline. I just refuse to diet because I need the energy and besides I work out 6 days a week now.

Since you're in baseball, you'd want more more core work and functional strength as opposed to just looking pretty. :) which marianne does quite well. :D

Built
03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I agree with what you said mostly, since while my abs look more toned during higher cardio periods, they feel sluggish as you said. I lift just about as much as I do cardio, and I've been able to keep a 6 pack for almost 2 years. Granted, running can aid the lifting to some extent, if you overdo it, you'll lose mass

About the 25 minutes of abs, I have scoliosis, and the doctor recommended a fair amount of back/abdomen exercises to reduce back pain. Just remember when doing abs, you need to hit the lower, upper, side, and back.
I have scoliosis and anterolisthesis of L5 over SI1. Trust me, I understand the need for a strong core.
That's why I do so much direct core work. Yanno, like the 3 sets of 8 crunches I do once or twice a week when I remember.
Oh yeah, and the deadlifts, squats, oly bar corner presses, cleans, chins, and sprinting. And maybe a few other assorted free-weight movements that I tend to do while standing rather than seated.

<blows kisses at the wombat> ;)

SteveW
03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
HIIT. Have heard it is a lot better for burning fat than lower intensity steady cardio. Look at different HIIT workouts and give them a shot.

achieve99
03-14-2008, 01:56 PM
I agree... you're probably carrying just a little more percent body fat which is covering up the abs. Diet is the key as well as keeping up with your cardio & strength training.

the.powerhouse
05-19-2008, 07:37 AM
if you are lean but can't see your six pack you will need to use a special peace of equipment at a gym. I'm not talking about those constructions you see the women using either. I don't know what it's called, but u kind of sit into it, and then do a simulated sitting sit up. because u can add proper weight to it though u can feel how hard ur stomach has worked after 10 reps. that's the only way for ur ab muscles to get bigger. doing 30-40 reps will just get them more ripped, and if u can't see ur ab muscles already then there is no point in that...