PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Bulking?

Giovanna360
02-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Just though I'd share a few thoughts. I have been gaining strength and mass at a very fast rate for about a year now. My weight has fluctuated throughout the year, as my diet has changed significantly throughout. I used to take the "dirty bulk" approach of just east as much as possible in an attempt to gain muscle and then cut later. Recently, I have realized how stupid this is. Currently, I am gaining muscle mass faster than ever and have less fat on my body than ever. I don't understand the rationalization for eating garbage to get stronger. Anyone who has an understanding of nutrition and is serious about lifting should eat smart instead of packing in as much random food as possible. Do people not understand that high GI foods, eaten at improper times, can actually have negative effects on the muscle building process? Besides making you fat, it effects on protein absorption and energy levels as well as many other things I, with limited nutritional knowledge, do not know of yet. Since I cleaned up my diet, and put as much effort into what I eat as what I lift, my muscle gains have been at a record high and my body fat at a record low. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

j03
02-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Just though I'd share a few thoughts. I have been gaining strength and mass at a very fast rate for about a year now. My weight has fluctuated throughout the year, as my diet has changed significantly throughout. I used to take the "dirty bulk" approach of just east as much as possible in an attempt to gain muscle and then cut later. Recently, I have realized how stupid this is. Currently, I am gaining muscle mass faster than ever and have less fat on my body than ever. I don't understand the rationalization for eating garbage to get stronger. Anyone who has an understanding of nutrition and is serious about lifting should eat smart instead of packing in as much random food as possible. Do people not understand that high GI foods, eaten at improper times, can actually have negative effects on the muscle building process? Besides making you fat, it effects on protein absorption and energy levels as well as many other things I, with limited nutritional knowledge, do not know of yet. Since I cleaned up my diet, and put as much effort into what I eat as what I lift, my muscle gains have been at a record high and my body fat at a record low. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Thanks for your thoughts, what have you acheived in that year ? I mean some people could think putting on 5lbs of LBM is an achievement. What i mean to get at is, people have different ideas of what 'achievement' in lifting is. I do support you about not eating a bunch of **** with a lot of calories then cutting. The key is just eat healthy and eat a lot of it and your set.

Rusty
02-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I'll stick to McDonalds and Arby's.

RhodeHouse
02-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Thank you Rusty, for being smart and not falling for the BS out there.

Giovanna - my guess is you're young and not very big, yet. It's really easy to eat healthy and gain little fat. Your body is producing GH and test like no other time in your life. Take advantage of it. When you get some real weight on your body and have to pack away some real calories, you'll change your tune or get smaller.

Run with it while you can.

Giovanna360
02-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Thank you Rusty, for being smart and not falling for the BS out there.

Giovanna - my guess is you're young and not very big, yet. It's really easy to eat healthy and gain little fat. Your body is producing GH and test like no other time in your life. Take advantage of it. When you get some real weight on your body and have to pack away some real calories, you'll change your tune or get smaller.

Run with it while you can.

Hmm. I disagree. From your picture, if that is you, it looks like you are a power lifter. I prefer the body building approach. While people's opinions differ, I can only go by my experience. In my short 10 months of lifting, The biggest gains I have seen have been during my smart eating phase.

Thanks for your thoughts, what have you acheived in that year ? I mean some people could think putting on 5lbs of LBM is an achievement. What i mean to get at is, people have different ideas of what 'achievement' in lifting is. I do support you about not eating a bunch of **** with a lot of calories then cutting. The key is just eat healthy and eat a lot of it and your set.

This picture is how I was 10 months ago. My weight fluctuated between 130-140.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL730/2257579/4417398/305768957.jpg

This is me a couple weeks ago. My current weight is around 160. Sorry about the quality. Camera phone...

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL730/2257579/4417398/305748654.jpg
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL730/2257579/4417398/305748658.jpg
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL730/2257579/4417398/305748657.jpg

dougyp
02-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Nice gains... and you're absolutely right. It's not rocket science, if you eat quality food your body will make quality muscle. It goes back to the old adage; "you are what you eat".

PhilsterT
02-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Dirty bulking worked GREAT for me; I haven't tried anything else. In 2 years gained 60 lbs and 1.5 % bodyfat. I am 18 still and do not give a **** about aything else; puberty is great for gains.

You look much bigger than 160 lbs; how tall are you?

nhlfan
02-25-2008, 01:31 AM
160 is relatively tiny. as a beginner, you can look at a weight and gain a couple pounds of lbm.

as you gain more mass, the amount of calories you will need to maintain and grow will increase with it.

kevowamo
02-25-2008, 07:33 AM
i hear ya man. gains look great!

Giovanna360
02-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Nice gains... and you're absolutely right. It's not rocket science, if you eat quality food your body will make quality muscle. It goes back to the old adage; "you are what you eat".

Agreed.

Dirty bulking worked GREAT for me; I haven't tried anything else. In 2 years gained 60 lbs and 1.5 % bodyfat. I am 18 still and do not give a **** about aything else; puberty is great for gains.

I am 5'7" with very little fat. I don't know bf %. It's great that it worked for you. I have a very fast metabolism as well and am only a couple years older than you. However, being closed to alternate ideas is called arrogant. I gained a little gut and lost definition when my goal was to eat everything in sight. My openness to new methods is why I believe I have succeeded over the last 10 months.

160 is relatively tiny. as a beginner, you can look at a weight and gain a couple pounds of lbm.

as you gain more mass, the amount of calories you will need to maintain and grow will increase with it.

How is 160 thin? I wouldn't call myself big but I am certainly not thin.

i hear ya man. gains look great!

Thanks man! :thumbup:

Bupp
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
At 160 you should need around 2400 calories to maintain your weight (depending on activity level). Bump that up to 200 and you are looking at 3000 calories. 220 --> 3300 calories. I think you can see why he says that at your weight you can eat pretty much anything. NHLfan started out at 165, so he is speaking from experience here.

nhlfan
02-25-2008, 04:08 PM
I started out at 145 and I've put on 42 pounds since then. My maintenance calories have gone up drastically. I find myself eating much more, and I'm still nowhere near what I'd consider "big".

160lbs may not be thin, depending on your height, but it still is relatively tiny. Metabolism is a function of how much muscle mass you carry.

you do look good in your pictures, by the way.

Giovanna360
02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
At 160 you should need around 2400 calories to maintain your weight (depending on activity level). Bump that up to 200 and you are looking at 3000 calories. 220 --> 3300 calories. I think you can see why he says that at your weight you can eat pretty much anything. NHLfan started out at 165, so he is speaking from experience here.

I started out at 145 and I've put on 42 pounds since then. My maintenance calories have gone up drastically. I find myself eating much more, and I'm still nowhere near what I'd consider "big".

160lbs may not be thin, depending on your height, but it still is relatively tiny. Metabolism is a function of how much muscle mass you carry.

you do look good in your pictures, by the way.

I agree with both of you. Thank you for the good words. do not get me wrong. I eat a ton of food currently. I eat at least 5 full meals a day and at beneficial times of the day. However, it is possible to eat quantity OF quality. I eat a lot of whole grains and low GI foods throughout the day. I eat a ton of protein as well. I also take naps. I am pretty sure I am in a cal. surplus.

Dan152
02-25-2008, 05:06 PM

ur not 1.5% bodyfat

PhilsterT
02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I never said I was... I also weight 60 lbs then.

Well, with my metabolism I eat everything in site and it seems to do little. I am stuck at 190 lbs currently; I also get my health checked monthly and my blood/cholestoral levels are in check.

I never said I was closed to the idea of eating clean, and I don't eat the ****iest foods, but my focus, until I can break 200 and get a few years older is to work on gaining weight over so-called quality foods.

I do not eat constant ****, I just don't fret over what I eat.

190 lbs
13.5%

Giovanna360
02-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I never said I was... I also weight 60 lbs then.

Well, with my metabolism I eat everything in site and it seems to do little. I am stuck at 190 lbs currently; I also get my health checked monthly and my blood/cholestoral levels are in check.

I never said I was closed to the idea of eating clean, and I don't eat the ****iest foods, but my focus, until I can break 200 and get a few years older is to work on gaining weight over so-called quality foods.

I do not eat constant ****, I just don't fret over what I eat.

190 lbs
13.5%

You are very much entitled to eat what you like. I have tried your approach and enjoyed it a lot. I love food and love lifting so it worked out well. However, I prefer the alternate approach. The best way I can think about it is, would I rather be a high HP muscle car that runs on 87 fuel, or a finely tuned Ferrari that runs on race fuel. That may be a *****ty example but I'm a car guy so oh well.

ShockBoxer
02-26-2008, 06:38 AM
The most important thing is to pick a diet you can stick to and pick a training style you can maintain: Realize that this is what YOU'VE chosen so any results or lack of results are your own fault.

Giovanna360
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Well I am very happy with my progress thus far and attribute it directly to my discipline in and outside the gym. I think I am going to continue to practice my philosophy of QUANTITY OF QUALITY rather then choosing between the two.