PDA

View Full Version : Hormones in milk?

miken5254
02-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I hear that the milk we drink has a lot of female hormone in it? Can anyone confirm this? Is it such a good idea to drink a lot of milk after all, because of the female hormones that may cause effects contradictory to bodybuilding?

PhilsterT
02-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Never heard of anything like this, but I used to drink 2 liters a day.

BFGUITAR
02-25-2008, 09:05 AM
There are hormones in milk, all milk. Breast milk contains hormones just as the ones from cows. We have been drinking cow's milk for a very very long time now and their hormones haven't seemed to bother us (we may have grew accustomed to it). The only concern are the hormones we are injecting in to animals that find their way in to milk. I haven't seen any reason to stop drinking milk... people have been drinking "new age" milk for a while now with out any problems.

Drink up. It has hormones but so does red meat and chicken. That didn't stop arnie from being big did it?

zen
02-25-2008, 09:11 AM
N0oN8uQ3d4Y
"The news is what we say it is"

getb1g
02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
There was an article in mens health about this.. it basically said it's okay because the hormones are not injected directly to the milk.

Rocket Reidy
02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
does this mean i will get boobs? cus i hav no chest.

azma
02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
If y'all want a quick background on recombinant bovine somatotropin, here's the wikipedia link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBGH

Rocket Reidy, most dudes don't grow boobs from drinking milk, but, if you do grow boobs, just hope they're shapely. If so....PM me?

But seriously, even eating pure estrogen (a hormone present in all healthy humans, with much higher levels in women than in men) won't do much to you -- estrogen is not naturally water-soluble, so you have to bind it to one of a number of ligands if you want the molecule to be accepted by the body.

FireRescue
02-26-2008, 06:22 AM
I am more worried about how homoginazation changes the quality of milk.

RhodeHouse
02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Drink milk

BFGUITAR
02-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Why?
All homogenization is break up the fat globules so they don't separate into a water-oil layer. Nothing happens to the milk quality.

Does it really make a difference?

azma
02-26-2008, 11:55 PM

There's really no reason to worry. Homogenization is just a process where they force milk through really tiny holes at really high pressure, This causes the milkfat globules (cream) to break apart, making them small enough to where casein particles (which attach to the surface of fats) can weigh them down. If the fat doesn't get weighed down, it will separate from the milk and rise to the top (fat is less dense than water).

Homogenization makes milk taste a little more bland, but not enough for the average person to notice and/or care. If you do care, you can always buy milk that hasn't been homogenized, but you'll have to shake it before you drink it. Alternatively, you can drink skim milk, which is usually still homogenized, but has almost no fat, so it doesn't really matter if the fats are broken down or not.

As far as nutrition is concerned, homogenized milk is exactly the same as non-homogenized milk. In fact, it's statistically more likely to have also been pasteurized (which kills bacteria) than non-homogenized milk, so some might argue that it's generally a safer bet than non-homogenized milk.

Jilla82
02-27-2008, 10:28 PM
most grocery stores carry milk that wasnt from cows that were injected w/ anything and given a vergatrian diet

The Bran Man
02-28-2008, 07:14 AM
does this mean i will get boobs? cus i hav no chest.

I am excited about this aswell, hopefully my chest will be popin out in now time

Rock Steady
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Rocket Reidy, most dudes don't grow boobs from drinking milk, but, if you do grow boobs, just hope they're shapely. If so....PM me?

Awesome. Quote-worthy.