PDA

View Full Version : Boards

YoJimbo
02-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I freak my gym out enough doing basic stuff like sqats and deads - so bringing a couple of twobyfoors into the gym would send them into complete meltdown.

Can you get the same effect by putting a flat bench in a powerack and set the safety pins at varying heights - then pressing down to the pins and back up? Is there any reason why this differs from using boards?

Is the concept of doing this to get the muscle memory of controlling heavier weights and then week on week moving the bar down a notch towards you?

BFGUITAR
02-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Just get some old textbooks, wrap them in saran wrap and use those (I put them under my shirt). There is nothing weird about it.

You CAN use the power rack. But personally, I dont think it's the same.

smokinHawk
02-25-2008, 09:09 AM
there is a little different feel when using boards compared to rack lockouts in a powercage, the pretty much accomplish the same thing but i like the way boards feel vrs the cage pins, feels more natural to me.

yea i have about everyone ask me what are the chains/boards for when i bring them in

Travis Bell
02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
just take the boards in, they'll get over it

Sensei
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
They are different. You will have a greater tendency to relax on the pins than on boards. Pins don't require you to hold or balance the weight at all. Chances are a lot better for the weight to slide or bounce out of a groove w. pins than boards as well.

Ben Moore
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
You never know until you ask - print off some articles from Elite and schedule a time to talk with the manager. I"m sure if they knew what you were trying to do, they would be accomodating.

vdizenzo
02-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Boards actually absorb some of the energy or some crap like that. I hated rack lockouts, they are too harsh on my elbows. Most elite benchers I speak to don't use them anymore.

deeder
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
It's not a problem with the gym is it? You're just too embarrassed to bring in boards...

Get over it... I was in BC last week, I brought in some boards and had some old dude hold them for me. There was even a couple of people that came over and watched/asked what I was doing.

jbrin0tk
02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I agree with Deeder and Travis Bell. I first brought in boards to my gym about six weeks ago. No one at the gym said anything to me. Really, only one person has ever said anything to me about it, and I explained it to them. That was it. It's no big deal. Bring the boards in.

BFGUITAR
02-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Man biology presses are the thing.