PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good WSB routine?

OGROK
02-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Using the template and some other routines I saw lying around I came up with this. Is it good? I'm trying to go for more of a powerbuilder style WSB routine.

Monday: ME Bench

ME Bench Variant
Tricep Movement 3x3-5
Tricep Movement 3x3-5
Upper Back Movement 3x10-12
Abs 1x10-12

Tuesday: DE Squat

Box Squat 8x3 @ 50%
Hamstring Movement 3x10-12
Lower Back Movement 3x10-12
Biceps 3x6-8
Shrugs 3x10-12
Abs 1x10-12

Thursday: DE Bench

Bench 8x3 @ 50%
Front Press 3x3-5
Tricep Movement 3x10-12
Upper Back Movement 3x10-12
Abs 1x10-12

Friday: ME Squat/Deadlift

ME Squat/DL Variant
Hamstring Movement 3x5-7
Lower Back Movement 3x5-7
Upper Back Movement 3x5-7
Abs 1x10-12

Travis Bell
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
thats a pretty solid routine right there. Its pretty vague though. What will make or break it is if you choose your ME exercises that will work your weaknesses. Cycling them properly and choosing your acessory movements right. You're on the right track, you just need to put some more thought into what you need to work on so you can pick specific movements

Scooter
02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
I think direct shrug and bicep work are pretty useless in improving squat and bench. Also, you have upper back on their 3 times and lower back 2 times. Is that a typo or do you have reasoning behind it?

OGROK
02-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Alright, is this any better? Basically I put strength stuff on ME days and hypertrophy stuff on DE days, removed the bicep curls and shrugs and put in chest movements and quad movements (I am assuming that these are pretty good for improving squat/bench, and they are undoubtedly extremely good for hypertrophy). Keep in mind this is not like a pure powerlifting routine, I wanted hypertrophy stuff in there as well.

I think it looks more organized now but I don't want to compromise the powerlifting aspects with too much hypertrophy-focused RE.

Day 1: ME Bench

ME Bench Variant -- Work up to 1rm
Chest movement 3x5
Shoulder Movement 3x5
Tricep Movement 3x5
Upper Back Movement 3x5

Day 2: DE Squat

Box Squat 8x3 @ 50%
Quad Movement 3x8-12
Hamstring Movement 3x8-12
Lower Back Movement 3x8-12
Abs 4x10-12

Day 4: DE Bench

Bench 8x3 @ 50%
Chest movement 3x8-12
Shoulder movement 3x8-12
Tricep Movement 3x8-12
Upper Back Movement 3x8-12

Day 5: ME Squat/Deadlift

ME Squat/Deadlift variant -- Work up to 1rm
Quad Movement 3x5
Hamstring Movement 3x5
Lower Back Movement 3x5
Abs 4x10-12

Scooter
02-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Looks better. I would just read all of this and you'll be on your way!

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm

OGROK
02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Just one other thing. My lifts are 250/185/315. Would this make DE days ineffective for me?

Travis Bell
02-25-2008, 11:13 PM
not at all. My younger brother is about the same, little higher squat but the bench and dead are the same. Actually what it does is make the ME day a little worthless because your volume will be so low. I usually work with him doing heavy sets of 5 on a bench variation or triples.

I still keep him doing the same ascessory workouts, but on DE day his weights are pretty light on bar weight so we can focus more on bar placement and the consistency of his press. I still have him deload every 3-4 weeks and will max out about every other training cycle. He's come quite a long ways this year (hes a freshman in college @ 160lbs)

So I'd probably scrap working up to singles every week until you have a max that will allow you to have more time under the bar

RhodeHouse
02-26-2008, 09:12 PM
You need to drop your chest movement stuff on ME and DE day. The movements that will build your bench have little to do with your chest.

Military Press
Heavy Rowing
Rowing
Lat Work
Heavy Rowing
More Rowing

Chest work does very little for you. If you want to do 2-3 sets of 10 reps after DE work, that's fine, but don't waste your time pumping up the chest like a BBer.

Train movements, not muscles. If it doesn't make your squat/bench/deadlift better, it's a waste of time. Do things with a purpose. If you can't tell me why you're doing a movement, it's a waste.

HP666
02-27-2008, 08:50 AM
You need to drop your chest movement stuff on ME and DE day. The movements that will build your bench have little to do with your chest.

Military Press
Heavy Rowing
Rowing
Lat Work
Heavy Rowing
More Rowing

Chest work does very little for you. If you want to do 2-3 sets of 10 reps after DE work, that's fine, but don't waste your time pumping up the chest like a BBer.

Train movements, not muscles. If it doesn't make your squat/bench/deadlift better, it's a waste of time. Do things with a purpose. If you can't tell me why you're doing a movement, it's a waste.

I absolutely agree with Rhodes 100% on this. I am far from his level but I can say the two things that have made my bench improve the most since starting lifting using the WSB philosophy were # 1, strengthening my back, specifically the upper back, and strengthening my tris. Chest supported rows are my new best friend. :strong: But any rowing is good rowing.