PDA

View Full Version : Unhealthy meals, what they really mean

BFGUITAR
02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I may have mentioned this before but I will do it again.

Think about it... What is an unhealthy meal? Is a homemade cheese burger with a coke an unhealthy meal? Are potatoes covered loads of chedder cheese and gravy... ok you get the point. I can't imagine why it would be. There is nothing in any of those meals itself that can hurt you.

Now, lets go to store bought packaged pastries. These things have preservatives who for the most part seem harmless, but just by basic fact if they were to do ANYTHING to you it would not be good. They also contain ridiculous amounts trans fat which we can comfortably all agree isn't good for us (isn't metabolized easily).

So really, my definition of a healthy meal is a meal that our body likes and can use. This includes all the saturated fats, sugars, you name it. Of course, too much of a good thing is bad which is a whole other category.

I think there needs to be a dividing line between an unhealthy meal and an unhealthy diet. Eating adequate trans fat and some preservatives once will have some affect on ones body in some way (very small, but an effect). Eating a meal with loads of sugar and saturated fat once? I can't see how one meal like this can make a difference in one's health. Basing a diet on such a meal? This is an unhealthy diet.

Runty
02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I basically see a "healthy" meal as one where whatever I consume will be utilized by my body. By this I mean that my body with efficiently break down whatever I eat and use it to the best of it's ability. I'm not a stickler for full blown health diets because I have cheat meals whenever I feel necessary, but for the most part eating foods that haven't had too much extra "added" to alter it in anyway are usually a good bet. Basically what you said about preservatives, trans fat, etc....