PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Weights

Football
02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Are ankle weights good for you when you run?

I heard you shouldn't because it is bad for your knees.

Is this true?

fpr
02-27-2008, 10:05 PM
According to members on this board, they are bad for you, I can't remember why though.

Bassist-Dude
02-27-2008, 10:17 PM
From what I remember, it puts too much weight on the end of your leg, which is unnatural and pulls on the knees.
So yes, it is bad.

Runty
02-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Not exactly sure about the bad for knees part because ankle weights are usually pretty light. However, I do know they mess with your form and the mechanics of your stride so it isn't advised. If your looking for resistance drag a sled behind you.

tomv
02-28-2008, 05:34 AM
If your looking for resistance drag a sled behind you.

+1..

LoneJeeper
02-28-2008, 07:34 AM
what about the weight vests? I can't help but think that extra weight when running is bad, no matter where it goes, but these should be the least evil.

x2 on the drag something remark.

k_nine110
02-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Ankle weights are not advised as stated above because of the stretching of the tendons and ligaments in the knee joint on the lift portion of the running stride. I was using them early in my career and was told abruptly to stop running in them by my doc. The weight vest is what I use however you must use caution and let your body adjust gradually over time to the added weight. The vest that I use (Xvest) maxes out at 40lbs. I started with a meager 5lbs and increased about 5 per 4 running sessions to get adjusted. The extra weight if put on too quickly will begin to impact on your joints and cause a little discomfort.

This is an option and also depends greatly what type of training you are doing. For distance a sled just isn't practical IMO. I use a sled or a parachute for sprints but not for the 2-3 mile runs that I do.

Hope that this was helpful.

the.powerhouse
05-19-2008, 07:39 AM
I used to wear them while warming up for basketball, and felt like walking on air as soon as I took them off. was rather a psychological effect though. after long time training with them my ankles felt dodgy. wouldn't recomend it.

WillNoble
05-19-2008, 08:01 AM
used to use them, they do cause a fair amoint of knee pain....I would not recommend them, as most on here have already pointed out, sled/prowler or some sort of weighted vest will do much better for you

Jumpingj
05-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Stay away from those things