PDA

View Full Version : Baked beans 3 times daily for added calories and nutrients?

kornmong
02-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I know eating more smaller meals is better for you, but would it be ok to eat 3 tins of baked beans after my main meals every day for a bit extra calories that are not half bad?

Basically no fat and 1/4 protein and 3/4 complex carbs and about 350 calories, eating 3 tins would give me an extra 1000+ calories

19 gs of protein
55 gs of carbs, complex
1.7gs of fat,
high in iron, folate and fibre

Thanks,

plateaufivebia
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM
im about to do that.

kornmong
02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
haha good, glad someone thinks it alright lol

BFGUITAR
02-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Personally, I would add some flavoured olive oil to the mix. It adds flavour, healthy fats, and a better feeling of fullness. It's also easy calories. Fat doesn't make you fat. Really adding olive oil would make beans a great addition to ones diet.

And the whole "smaller meals is better" thing is a joke. It is not better at all. The only thing it can be used for is meal management (some people just feel more comfortable eating smaller meals than bigger ones). In terms of progress, assuming your eating a normal diet (nothing like PSMF or UD2.0), meal size is irrelivent.

Why? Meals take 4-5 hours to completely digest. Over that period of time your body is absorbing nutrients as digestion occurs. So the food is always being streamed into your body slowly (again, assuming your eating a normal healthy diet of fat/carbs/protein).

kornmong
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
yeah that good to know thanks, Id rather eat my normal 3 meals + an extra can of beans, yeah I eat a normal or good diet I think so yeah

Rodzilla
02-29-2008, 12:21 AM
sure and why not have a glass of milk with each tin.

dougyp
02-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Beans... good idea.

gratz
02-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Might be totally wrong on this (don't have any here with me) but don't they have quite a high salt content? Any sugar in there as well? Presumably we're talking tinned baked beans, like heinz or something..

BigDanny817
02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
beans are high in fiber which will make u poop alot , and also fiber makes u feel full just like if u were to eat oatmeal in the morning...i barely can get my calories in per day, so i dont consume that much fiber because it takes away from the rest of my food...

k_nine110
02-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Personally, I would add some flavoured olive oil to the mix. It adds flavour, healthy fats, and a better feeling of fullness. It's also easy calories. Fat doesn't make you fat. Really adding olive oil would make beans a great addition to ones diet.

And the whole "smaller meals is better" thing is a joke. It is not better at all. The only thing it can be used for is meal management (some people just feel more comfortable eating smaller meals than bigger ones). In terms of progress, assuming your eating a normal diet (nothing like PSMF or UD2.0), meal size is irrelivent.

Why? Meals take 4-5 hours to completely digest. Over that period of time your body is absorbing nutrients as digestion occurs. So the food is always being streamed into your body slowly (again, assuming your eating a normal healthy diet of fat/carbs/protein).

I think that for the most part the term smaller meals is relative to the size of the individual. As you put on more size say going from 150 to 200lbs your caloric requirement would be different from a maintenance perspective and totally different from a building perspective. I am speaking as a bodybuilder who is required to have certain athletic requirements as well such as being able to run 2 miles in a certain time. Right now I take in 7-8oz of meat at every meal and I eat about every 3 hours from 6am till 9pm. I eat veggies and what not with carb cycling when I am cutting (like now). Powerlifters can be a little more liberal with their diets and carb intake because there is no requirement to look "cut or lean". With powerlifting I think that eating more of (clean) foods would be better.

I think the smaller meal thing came about because America was out of control with the portion sizes of BAD meals. Like 2 friggin' tripple Whoopers with fries and such. I think that if you are eating balanced nutritious meals and working hard then your portion size could be relative to the work that you are doing in conjunction with the size you would like to gain.

BG5150
02-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Beans, beans, the magical fruit...

I'm thinking you are going to get tired of those beans very quickly if you are eating them three times a day, every day...

Rock Steady
02-29-2008, 10:31 AM

I'm thinking you are going to get tired of those beans very quickly if you are eating them three times a day, every day...

These were my first two thoughts as well. You're going to want to

http://www.simonpanrucker.com/beans.html

within a week.

pipes
02-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I got tired of eating them twice a week. After a few weeks I didn't even want to look at the can anymore. I can't imagine you eating them 3 times a day....that wont last long.

BFGUITAR
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I think that for the most part the term smaller meals is relative to the size of the individual. As you put on more size say going from 150 to 200lbs your caloric requirement would be different from a maintenance perspective and totally different from a building perspective. I am speaking as a bodybuilder who is required to have certain athletic requirements as well such as being able to run 2 miles in a certain time. Right now I take in 7-8oz of meat at every meal and I eat about every 3 hours from 6am till 9pm. I eat veggies and what not with carb cycling when I am cutting (like now). Powerlifters can be a little more liberal with their diets and carb intake because there is no requirement to look "cut or lean". With powerlifting I think that eating more of (clean) foods would be better.

I think the smaller meal thing came about because America was out of control with the portion sizes of BAD meals. Like 2 friggin' tripple Whoopers with fries and such. I think that if you are eating balanced nutritious meals and working hard then your portion size could be relative to the work that you are doing in conjunction with the size you would like to gain.

Of course meal size is relative. What I was addressing though is how people think "more meals a day means your body will be in a fat burning state". It makes no sense...

You eat every 3 hours because you are comfortable with that. Some people like eating massive meals every 4 hours. Really it doesn't matter when your eating a normal diet.

dbx
02-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Alot of canned baked beans are loaded with sugar.

BFGUITAR
02-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Alot of canned baked beans are loaded with sugar.

Depends if you get the ones mixed with sauce or not.

jclovesme19
03-02-2008, 01:50 PM
beans sound like a good idea, I might try that!!!!!

p.s. anyone ever consider soups?

camaro68
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Beans are a good idea if you don't have to be near anyone

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-03-2008, 01:01 PM

I'm thinking you are going to get tired of those beans very quickly if you are eating them three times a day, every day...Beans are actually legumes...

I think saying "they're good for your heart, the more you eat, the more you..."

...would be better. :thumbup:

kornmong
03-04-2008, 02:46 AM
haha well right now im a state of...they go down easy after any meal, I've been on it for 4 days now, 12 cans down, I do admit, I'm always full and never want to eat between meals, and my stomach is always tight, I've been drinking more water as well, which bloats me more as well, but it doesn't hurt,

they are with tom sauce, there isnt that much sugar, I will ret it for one week, 7 days and see how I am after that

I got a mixture of brands, heinz, homebrand, and wattle, they all have the same nutritional value and the same taste, so ive bought mostly the home brand as there only for more cheap nutrients and calories, at 65 cents a can it cant be beat lol

20 gs of protein per can
1.6 gs of fat per per can
55 gs of carbs per can of which 24 gs is sugar and 31 gs complex
106% of iron per can of daily amount
56% folate per can
1280mgs of sodium per can

and I have 3 cans a day so x 3

I have plenty of water as well or is that high a salt bad?

Thanks Cya

Transformer
03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Thats a lot of sodium

devo
03-04-2008, 04:42 PM
if you're looking for a cleaner source of canned beans, why not go for a cup of black beans?

1 cup = 260 cals, 2g fat, 46 carb, 18g protein, lots of fibre!

add that to a cut up chicken breast/ground beef, red/green/yellow peppers and a splash of peanut satai sauce and your set! This is one of my favourite meals. it tastes awesome!

Altephor
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
It's a lot of salt but as far as I understand if you drink enough water you should be fine.

How big are these tins? I might try this out as a quick snack.

devo
03-04-2008, 08:21 PM
It's a lot of salt but as far as I understand if you drink enough water you should be fine.

How big are these tins? I might try this out as a quick snack.

I usually just rinse the beans in cold water for a few minutes to get rid of the excess salt. And yeah, as long as your drinking lots of water, the salt isn't an issue whatsoever.