PDA

View Full Version : Rhodes "600 Lbs of Raw Bench" article.....

HP666
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
"600 Pounds of Raw Bench".....

Great article Rhodes, very well written.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/600lb_raw_bench.htm

Travis Bell
02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
very good article

RedSpikeyThing
02-29-2008, 10:22 AM
nice article Rhodes. It's nice to see 600 lb benchers doing speed work with 135 :)

kingkong51
02-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Great Article

Tim K
02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Good article, now if only I were smart enough to learn from it. I have issues following point #1. :( I know better, I just don't do better.

Travis Bell
02-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I think alot of lifters are like you Tim, they know what to do, yet they don't.

Personally I don't understand that at all (not meant to be an insult) I find it very confusing.

vdizenzo
02-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I was honored and flattered that my friend and training partner wrote that article. He deserves credit for helping me with that program. I will be using the same template for my equipped return to the platform.

vdizenzo
02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
nice article Rhodes. It's nice to see 600 lb benchers doing speed work with 135 :)

I actually started with 275 and recognized I was not performing the lift as it was intended. I kept working my way down until I realized I needed to start with 135. From there I moved up quickly. By the end of the training cycle I was using 365. I think lifters need to check their egos when it comes to speed bench.

Tim K
03-01-2008, 07:39 AM
I think alot of lifters are like you Tim, they know what to do, yet they don't.

Personally I don't understand that at all (not meant to be an insult) I find it very confusing.

I think a lot of it had to do with impatience. You bench 300 and if feels good. You want to give 315 a shot even though you're not scheduled for it on that day. But you're feeling good, you have gas to spare in the tank, so why not go for it? You know better, but you're excited about a potential PR.

Honestly, there is no real excuse. I am doing much better. I have my workouts written down in advance, hit the weight room with my spreadsheet printed out, and try to stick to it.

It helps, but sometimes you really just want to SFW! :evillaugh:

Hell'uva bench by Vinnie. Nice article by Matt.

C.Pop
03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Good article, now if only I were smart enough to learn from it. I have issues following point #1. :( I know better, I just don't do better.

I've been telling you this! Stick to the plan!

Tim K
03-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I've been telling you this! Stick to the plan!

I'm a recovering idiot, I admit it. :D I haven't deviated from the plan in at least a week. So, there is hope for me.

Travis Bell
03-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I think a lot of it had to do with impatience. You bench 300 and if feels good. You want to give 315 a shot even though you're not scheduled for it on that day. But you're feeling good, you have gas to spare in the tank, so why not go for it? You know better, but you're excited about a potential PR.

Honestly, there is no real excuse. I am doing much better. I have my workouts written down in advance, hit the weight room with my spreadsheet printed out, and try to stick to it.

It helps, but sometimes you really just want to SFW! :evillaugh:

Hell'uva bench by Vinnie. Nice article by Matt.

What I normally tell people is that we aren't in there for gym PR's though. We are there training for meet day. The one day when we leave it all out there on the platform. We control our own outcome on meet day. You're much farther than most people though if you have numbers down on paper as to what your going to hit. Good work

Leeman
03-01-2008, 01:41 PM
nice

Tim K
03-01-2008, 01:50 PM
What I normally tell people is that we aren't in there for gym PR's though. We are there training for meet day. The one day when we leave it all out there on the platform. We control our own outcome on meet day. You're much farther than most people though if you have numbers down on paper as to what your going to hit. Good work

I'm learning. Pops has been instrumental in teaching more than a few of us how to SFW. Don't know if I'll ever do another competitive meet. My last competition was back in 1986! We'll see how it goes in the future.

vdizenzo
03-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Here were the results of that training cycle

G7LjtMZRTZ0

Travis Bell
03-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Vin that was sick. You are one big boy haha

andrewnp
03-01-2008, 09:07 PM
so fast. you are a big mother****er dude. keep going, lets see a 650.

elitepler
03-02-2008, 07:58 PM
very good article...

nhlfan
03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
that 550 looked like speed work

11not10
04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
This is a nice article, good work guys.

Reko
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM

intersting point Travis.

jbrin0tk
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I think Rhodes writes some good articles. I have had great success with his raw squatting program.

Travis Bell
04-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Ah, good bump. This was a great thread.

That was actually good for me to re-read. Those who read my log know I bombed at a meet last weekend due to several factors.

Nothing really changed though, this was still my mentality (Reko's quote) today even in the gym I just sat down and thought "what can I do here that will make me stronger on the platform"

I don't give a rip if my quaded monster band, close grip 7 board press goes up in and of itself, but if it helps me on the platform, I'm good to go.

Too often people get tunnel vision when they are in the gym. They stick to what they are good at because it's fun, it feels good, makes you feel like you're strong. If everyone spent more time at what they sucked at, they'd all get stronger. You don't need to spend more time on what you're already good at

SGT ROCK
04-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Ah, good bump. This was a great thread.

That was actually good for me to re-read. Those who read my log know I bombed at a meet last weekend due to several factors.

Nothing really changed though, this was still my mentality (Reko's quote) today even in the gym I just sat down and thought "what can I do here that will make me stronger on the platform"

I don't give a rip if my quaded monster band, close grip 7 board press goes up in and of itself, but if it helps me on the platform, I'm good to go.

Too often people get tunnel vision when they are in the gym. They stick to what they are good at because it's fun, it feels good, makes you feel like you're strong. If everyone spent more time at what they sucked at, they'd all get stronger. You don't need to spend more time on what you're already good at

That is a very good point. It is very hard to check your ego at the door when you go to the gym, it is normal for a hardcore pler to want to rip heavy weights every single session. If you have a great routine and it calls for a certain number, but you feel so good, its hard not to try to get a pr, but often times that can actually set you back in a cycle due to recovery time etc. It is NOT easy to work your weaknesses, but that is what will make you better. A personal example is ab work, I used to do it at the end of my workouts like most but one of my partners thougth I should have stronger abs. I moved it to FIRST in my workouts twice a week and had great results. As for the article, great read and I am sure many will learn from it. A 600 raw bench has been done by only a few and is one milestone that will always garner much respect.

Semper Fi

Brian Hopper
04-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Nice article!!!

mosley1990
04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
that article made things make a lot more sense. it made me realize that ive been draining myself instead of saving it. well, its time to start a new training program lol.

Detard
04-05-2009, 01:39 PM

I agree, and thats why there are so many curl jockeys at the gyms, doing their curls and bench, because they get a big "pump" and they feel good.

I can relate to what you said aswell when it comes to my training. I suck at good mornings, so I never did them because they felt bad. I realized this weakness, and started hitting them hard even if they felt like ****. In the end, it made me much stronger. Same goes for floor presses and bench strength.