PDA

View Full Version : Who weighs their food????

MichaelKeck
02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Curious to see how many of you guys/girls weigh your food. Everybody knows Nutrition is paramount to hitting your lifting goals, I'm curious to see how many people go the extra mile to KNOW what they are putting in their bodies on a daily basis.

Wednesday.
02-29-2008, 09:02 AM
I do. I will probably continue to do so for a while. It keeps my head in the game and I enjoy feeling like I have control over SOMETHING.

MichaelKeck
02-29-2008, 09:38 AM
i feel the same way Wednesday. I weigh almost everything every day, even though i can usually eyeball it i still weigh it because i like knowing.

Wednesday.
02-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I think a certain personality just needs accountability. Leave me to my own devices and I'll eat tacos and drink beer til sundown.

I think as I become more comfortable in the gym and find my niche, that food will be less of a focus. Right now, its the only thing Im doing right, so I feel good about it.

bjohnso
02-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I weigh and measure everything pretty much.

mickyjune26
02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I've been counting cals and such for long enough that I'm trying to eyeball things lately. if my weight starts getting off it's back to the calorie counting for me.

k_nine110
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Only when pre-contest. Any other time I just eat larger portions and try to keep it healthy. cheesecake is my mortal arch-enemy.

MichaelKeck
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
man I love cheesecake. The Cheesecake Factory is on of my fav restaurants.

dynamo
02-29-2008, 02:56 PM
yeah I weigh it when I can but I'm always running around town staying at places eating other peoples food, so I just go for big portions. Sometimes it annoys people the shear volume of food I consume, but heck I like eating. I think once I'm out of school and into my own place I will have more control over the quantity of food I consume. I'm serious about my goals, and I like when it pisses people off.

Sensei
02-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I train, but I don't weigh my food... I realize that's not a choice on your little poll.

The Bran Man
02-29-2008, 05:22 PM
I train, but I don't weigh my food... I realize that's not a choice on your little poll.

Same

Paul Stagg
02-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Likewise. Your poll is biased, assuming that weighing your food means you are serious about your goals.

Lots of athletes are serious about their goals and have no need to be that accurate about food intake. I'd argue virtually NO ONE needs to be that accurate, including competitive bodybuilders.

Keith
02-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Likewise. Your poll is biased, assuming that weighing your food means you are serious about your goals.

Lots of athletes are serious about their goals and have no need to be that accurate about food intake. I'd argue virtually NO ONE needs to be that accurate, including competitive bodybuilders.

Why? As we know, calories are most important when adding/losing size. Wouldn't it be wise to track what you're consuming if you're not gaining weight or adding fat too quickly?

MichaelKeck
03-01-2008, 08:18 AM

have you tried competing in a BB show? very very few people MIGHT be able to get away with not knowing what they are eating while prepping for a show. using Pros's as an example wont work either as they are the anomalies.

I included the McDonalds option for the guys that know they just need to get in a ton of calories to grow and thats good enough for them.

Keith
03-01-2008, 10:06 AM
have you tried competing in a BB show? very very few people MIGHT be able to get away with not knowing what they are eating while prepping for a show. using Pros's as an example wont work either as they are the anomalies.

I included the McDonalds option for the guys that know they just need to get in a ton of calories to grow and thats good enough for them.

Quite a few pro's don't track what they eat. They have selected meals that they consume everyday and go by that. I find it hard to understand why they wouldn't have to track especially coming into a show..

KingWilder
03-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I weigh it all

Paul Stagg
03-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Why? As we know, calories are most important when adding/losing size. Wouldn't it be wise to track what you're consuming if you're not gaining weight or adding fat too quickly?

The short answer: nutrition information is based on averages of amounts measured in a lab. The 4 ounces of 93% lean ground beef you have and the 4 ounces of 93% ground beef I have will not have exactly the same amounts of macronutrients.

Estimating is fine for the vast majority of people, and pretty fine adjustments can be made by simple changes not requiring weighing your food.

Keith
03-01-2008, 11:31 AM
The short answer: nutrition information is based on averages of amounts measured in a lab. The 4 ounces of 93% lean ground beef you have and the 4 ounces of 93% ground beef I have will not have exactly the same amounts of macronutrients.

Estimating is fine for the vast majority of people, and pretty fine adjustments can be made by simple changes not requiring weighing your food.

Fair enough.

Paul Stagg
03-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Me? No. Not my cup of tea.

I do know a number of National level physique competitors and a couple of professionals. Most of them do not weigh all of their food. As someone said, they have very strict diets that consist of the same thing, over and over again, so there is little need to weigh food. An extra ounce of fish isn't going to matter. Most of them make weekly adjustments.

Further, much of bodybuilding precontest prep is manipulation of soduim and water, and the calories actually play less a role when you are close to a contest.

I swear, it's like I said the Pope is a pedophile.

BPM Osgood
03-01-2008, 12:39 PM
When on a diet either to gain or lose weight I weight and messure all meals. It is the key to getting to your goals in the fastest and best Way!

cwm
03-01-2008, 08:27 PM
if you have solid nutritional knowledge and know what your eating, i dont think its necessary unless you are in contest prep. Some people have absolutely no idea how much 2000 calories, 200 grams of carbs and 200 grams of protien is though so it would benefit someone like that.

MichaelKeck
03-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Me? No. Not my cup of tea.

I do know a number of National level physique competitors and a couple of professionals. Most of them do not weigh all of their food. As someone said, they have very strict diets that consist of the same thing, over and over again, so there is little need to weigh food. An extra ounce of fish isn't going to matter. Most of them make weekly adjustments.

Further, much of bodybuilding precontest prep is manipulation of soduim and water, and the calories actually play less a role when you are close to a contest.

pros and national level people are the exception not the rule, its why they are pro's. the amount of chemicals and drugs goin at that level can make diet a much smaller piece of the puzzle than it is for the rest of us.

only the last week or so of prep is sodium and water manipulation. I think calories make up the vast majority of the other 15 weeks or so :D

Paul Stagg
03-02-2008, 05:13 PM
You brought them up, remember?

And they do it without a scale, because they are making large weekly adjustments.

It isn't the drugs, and diet is a huge part of the puzzle.

cphafner
03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I can pretty much eye out my portions now. I eat pretty much the same foods all the time. 6 oz of chicken, beef, steak, etc are easy to eye out now.

WillKuenzel
03-02-2008, 06:29 PM
pros and national level people are the exception not the rule, its why they are pro's. the amount of chemicals and drugs goin at that level can make diet a much smaller piece of the puzzle than it is for the rest of us.

only the last week or so of prep is sodium and water manipulation. I think calories make up the vast majority of the other 15 weeks or so :D

I've done 2 bodybuilding shows. Winning my division in my first one and placing 2nd out of 18 in my 2nd. I've never weighed my food.

...and according to the judges, the only reason I lost my 2nd one was because the guy had 15lbs on me. If I'd even been 10lbs heavier, I out posed and out conditioned but sizing won out. I never had to weigh my food.

You can be as "extreme" as you want to be but it all boils down to knowing what you're doing. I did well enough and have no doubt that I could again, without having to weigh my food. I've got too much other stuff to worry about.

If it makes you feel better, do it. But don't let that disillusion you into thinking that you're working harder than I am. Nine times out of ten, you aren't.

Wednesday.
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
...I'd argue virtually NO ONE needs to be that accurate...

Some people will just argue about anything I guess.

I am the only one who knows whats going into my body, and with the scale I know exactly whats going into my body. Dont like it? Too bad.

ZenMonkey
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM
i weighed/counted for a while and got lazy/good at it and i now use the ol' eyeballs

ZenMonkey
03-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Some people will just argue about anything I guess.

I am the only one who knows whats going into my body, and with the scale I know exactly whats going into my body. Dont like it? Too bad.

nothing wrong with arguing about anything... especially when you disagree about the subject and another person asked your opinion

Paul Stagg
03-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey, my point is that the poll uses language that assumes you have to weigh your food to be serious. You don't.

I don't care if you weigh your food, your water, or your bowel movements. I'm just saying most people don't have to in order to make the progress they want. HY makes a much more meaninful point, because of his personal example. He's a winning bodybuilder and a hell of a powerlifter.

The reason: he's working hard on stuff that matters.

MichaelKeck
03-03-2008, 08:32 AM
You brought them up, remember?

And they do it without a scale, because they are making large weekly adjustments.

It isn't the drugs, and diet is a huge part of the puzzle.

If you look at when i first talked about Pros' i clearly said you can not use them as an example as they are the exception

now you are claiming diet is a huge part of the puzzle and previously stated calories weren't that important, that it was sodium and water manipulation. you're contradicting yourself.

I've done 2 bodybuilding shows. Winning my division in my first one and placing 2nd out of 18 in my 2nd. I've never weighed my food.

...and according to the judges, the only reason I lost my 2nd one was because the guy had 15lbs on me. If I'd even been 10lbs heavier, I out posed and out conditioned but sizing won out. I never had to weigh my food.

You can be as "extreme" as you want to be but it all boils down to knowing what you're doing. I did well enough and have no doubt that I could again, without having to weigh my food. I've got too much other stuff to worry about.

If it makes you feel better, do it. But don't let that disillusion you into thinking that you're working harder than I am. Nine times out of ten, you aren't.

congrats on doing so well in your shows! I feel like its an accomplishment to stand on stage, belonging, let alone winning.

no one is talking about working hard, sorry if some of you thought the poll implies that. you dont have any idea how hard i work, perceived effort is completely subjective in nature and its really irrelevant.

Ive also done 2 shows, the pics from my first are here on the site. I took 3rd in the heavies only to lose to the overall winner, who clearly deserved it, he was also about 10lbs heavier and 2 inches shorter than me. may of the judges i talked with said it was a complete toss up between me and 2nd.

I dont think weighing food is extreme. its very normal and preferable by a lot of people.

Hey, my point is that the poll uses language that assumes you have to weigh your food to be serious. You don't.

I don't care if you weigh your food, your water, or your bowel movements. I'm just saying most people don't have to in order to make the progress they want. HY makes a much more meaninful point, because of his personal example. He's a winning bodybuilder and a hell of a powerlifter.

The reason: he's working hard on stuff that matters.

I did word it that way on purpose. Partially for humor and partially to get exactly this type of response. i wanted to open up dialogue to get everyones REAL thoughts. sometimes striking a nerve with someone will do that.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with knowing exactly what you are putting in your body. its just more precise. Is it always necessary, no, but the extra effort doesn't take much time.

ddegroff
03-03-2008, 08:48 AM
I weighed my food for about a year for every meal. Now I just estimate, works fine.

MichaelKeck
03-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I weighed my food for about a year for every meal. Now I just estimate, works fine.

I can agree with you here. After some experience you can eyeball things and get "close enough" to serve the purpose for most of your goals

Paul Stagg
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
So, basically, your poll has no point.

yankeekd25
03-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I use to weigh/ measure everything, everyday. I really saw some good changes. However, I started college, got lazy, and to top it off my scale broke. I took like 2-3 weeks off from lifting/ dieting and now I'm restarting. I'm trying to do my best to eyeball everything, but it's tough to make sure I get exactly what I need. Since my scale died, so did my will to track everything. I definitely need to get back on track, as my lifts have really suffered from the lack of the right macro numbers.

MichaelKeck
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
So, basically, your poll has no point.

the poll served its point nicely. I wanted to know how many people weighed their food and how many didn't. I appreciate everyone's vote, regardless of what it was.

brihead301
03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
This thread is just one of those counting calories vs. not counting calories in disguise. But as long as you've found the data that you were looking for, then it's all good.

k_nine110
03-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Is this a serious statement? If you are going to cycle your carbs as a competitive bodybuilder or more importantly go into ketosis using the fat/protein method then you have to be extremely meticulous about the amount of food you take in. In the off season you can be more liberal with your diet however if you are going into pre-contest mode then you need to track what you are doing to make necessary adjustments.

MichaelKeck
03-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Is this a serious statement? If you are going to cycle your carbs as a competitive bodybuilder or more importantly go into ketosis using the fat/protein method then you have to be extremely meticulous about the amount of food you take in. In the off season you can be more liberal with your diet however if you are going into pre-contest mode then you need to track what you are doing to make necessary adjustments.

i thought the same thing you did.......

Paul Stagg
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM

Yes, it's serious.

You may need to be meticulous, but many serious athletes do not and are not. One size does not, as they say, fit all.

Which was my original issue with the poll, the assumption that you are not serious if you don't put all of your food on a scale, which is just silly.

I never said you don't track what you are doing, and never suggested a bodybuilder can prepare for a contest eating willy-nilly. What I said, which is true, is that many people do not need to weigh every bit of food they eat to reach their sufficiently serious goals.

Is the Pope a pedophile?

WillKuenzel
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM

I can't believe that there are still serious bodybuilders that would go into ketosis.

I agree with Paul. I just think some of you are over-complicating things. I still just find it funny that some of you weigh your food. Do you really have that little of a clue as to what you're eating that weighing it simplifies it? Is the difference in a 4oz and 4.5oz steak really going destroy you that much?

Built
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I can't believe that there are still serious bodybuilders that would go into ketosis.

I agree with Paul. I just think some of you are over-complicating things. I still just find it funny that some of you weigh your food. Do you really have that little of a clue as to what you're eating that weighing it simplifies it? Is the difference in a 4oz and 4.5oz steak really going destroy you that much?
I guess it depends how many of them you eat. Probably more of a concern for us smaller types - if I overeat 200 calories a day I don't drop weight. If you overeat 200 calories a day you just have better workouts.

What's wrong with hitting ketosis, out of curiosity?

WillKuenzel
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
LOL, are you eating 10 4.5oz steaks a day? You might have other concerns if that's the case.

Too much of the recent research from Lyle McDonald and a few others have lead me to conclude that staying out of ketosis is ideal. Ketosis does too many strange things to the body and while people with higher body fat percentages can benefit from it, competitors will see too many adverse reactions to make it as beneficial.

Paul Stagg
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Built, in a post above I address just this very issue.

Every 4 ounces of beef is not the same.

And I'd be more worried about weekly caloric fluctuations. 200 cals a day isn't going to be far from the error rate of fitday. 1500 a week will work itself out.

Built
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
LOL, are you eating 10 4.5oz steaks a day? You might have other concerns if that's the case.

Well, not quite that much... but I eat a pretty high-fat diet and it's really, REALLY easy to lie to yourself about how big a tablespoon of peanut butter is. Trust a PB junkie on this one - I could seriously DRINK the damned stuff!

I don't weigh my broccoli, even I'm not THAT insane, but I do weigh out fattier foods since they comprise so much of my diet. That means yeah, I do weigh out the 12 ounces of buffalo or the two ounces of nuts so I'm sure I neither overshoot nor undershoot. Something that always bugs me when I'm dieting is the thought of being ripped off. I want as much as I've budgeted for, dammit!

Too much of the recent research from Lyle McDonald and a few others have lead me to conclude that staying out of ketosis is ideal. Ketosis does too many strange things to the body and while people with higher body fat percentages can benefit from it, competitors will see too many adverse reactions to make it as beneficial.

Adverse reactions?

I've read McDonald say that he no longer felt ketosis was necessary, and I agree with this, but adverse reactions?

Weird. I've never felt anything but great in ketosis, and while I haven't been contest lean, I've been pretty damned close.

For lean bodybuilders in this situation, what kinds of negatives come from ketosis, HY?

WillKuenzel
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, not quite that much... but I eat a pretty high-fat diet and it's really, REALLY easy to lie to yourself about how big a tablespoon of peanut butter is. Trust a PB junkie on this one - I could seriously DRINK the damned stuff!

I don't weigh my broccoli, even I'm not THAT insane, but I do weigh out fattier foods since they comprise so much of my diet. That means yeah, I do weigh out the 12 ounces of buffalo or the two ounces of nuts so I'm sure I neither overshoot nor undershoot. Something that always bugs me when I'm dieting is the thought of being ripped off. I want as much as I've budgeted for, dammit!I'm of the belief that I'd rather be safe than sorry. So while you might feel the need to have that extra half ounce, if I'm a bit under then I'm all the better for it in the long run. There's a difference in being true to yourself, in regards to the peanut butter thing, and having to weigh your food to understand what you're eating.

Adverse reactions?

I've read McDonald say that he no longer felt ketosis was necessary, and I agree with this, but adverse reactions?

Weird. I've never felt anything but great in ketosis, and while I haven't been contest lean, I've been pretty damned close.

For lean bodybuilders in this situation, what kinds of negatives come from ketosis, HY?

Felt, great? Are you kidding? On top of the fact that my breath will stink out a bar restroom, I feel like complete boiled ****. I can't concentrate and my workouts suffer. Lifting goes down the drain and that adversely affects the rest of my day.

At 4-5% bodyfat, going into ketosis is not fun and can happen in a matter of hours. Hell, I'm sitting at around 10% now and can hit ketosis in a couple hours or at least feel the onset of it.

Now maybe these are all just carb deprived symptoms but that's essentially what you're doing to get into ketosis. Just not fun, IMO, especially if there's better ways of doing it.

My memory is failing as to the specifics because it's been over 2 years ago when I competed in bodybuilding and had to research this. Research can also change but the last I understood it, ketosis basically crashes your leptin levels and makes it damn near impossible to bring them up out of the hole. Higher leptin levels usually results in a faster rate of fat loss. So if leptin levels are low, then what does that do to your fat loss?

Built
03-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm of the belief that I'd rather be safe than sorry. So while you might feel the need to have that extra half ounce, if I'm a bit under then I'm all the better for it in the long run. There's a difference in being true to yourself, in regards to the peanut butter thing, and having to weigh your food to understand what you're eating.
I've seen all levels of cleantardedness, believe me. I truly do appreciate the peace of mind that comes from setting a target, measuring once and being done with it though. Nice and mindless, just the way I like it.

Felt, great? Are you kidding?
No. I'm always at my best in ketosis. I feel great, not hungry, lots of energy. The workouts suck a bit but if I keep to very low reps with plenty of rest between sets I'm fine.

The only way I can control appetite is to go very low in the carbs. I take full advantage of the comfort that comes with ketosis for this. That's why I carb cycle. In fact, it's the only reason I carb cycle.

On top of the fact that my breath will stink out a bar restroom, I feel like complete boiled ****. I can't concentrate and my workouts suffer. Lifting goes down the drain and that adversely affects the rest of my day.

So odd. I mod a board full of people who mostly feel better in ketosis than out of it. I find it amazing when people don't, but I know some don't so I have to accept it's true, even if it's never been my experience.

At 4-5% bodyfat, going into ketosis is not fun and can happen in a matter of hours. Hell, I'm sitting at around 10% now and can hit ketosis in a couple hours or at least feel the onset of it.

I can hit ketosis in a few hours easily when I'm at 16%. I take greater and greater advantage of it the leaner I get because I get so damned hungry when I'm lean. Totall appetite killer for me. A real blessing.

Now maybe these are all just carb deprived symptoms but that's essentially what you're doing to get into ketosis. Just not fun, IMO, especially if there's better ways of doing it.

I'm unconvinced of the "better". Certainly not for me. Might be a bit of a chick thing though - we're pretty insulin resistant relative to men.

My memory is failing as to the specifics because it's been over 2 years ago when I competed in bodybuilding and had to research this. Research can also change but the last I understood it, ketosis basically crashes your leptin levels and makes it damn near impossible to bring them up out of the hole.
All dieting does this doesn't it? Isn't that why McDonald has refeeds in UD2.0 and PSMF?

Higher leptin levels usually results in a faster rate of fat loss. So if leptin levels are low, then what does that do to your fat loss?

Again, the reason McDonald and others incorporate refeeds.

I do refeeds when I cut, and the deeper the deficit, the more often the refeeds. I've had NO trouble with this approach. In fact, it's the only way I've ever been able to diet.

Honestly, and I may be on crack here, but doesn't any type of dieting drop leptin?

WillKuenzel
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I may feel bad in ketosis because I'm dieting and I'll feel bad while dieting regardless of what state I'm in. But in all seriousness, lack of carbs make me extremely upset. I would say that it has to do with my work and workouts but I would get this way 40 and 80lbs ago, so it's not necessarily the increase of muscle mass

Honestly, and I may be on crack here, but doesn't any type of dieting drop leptin?Ahhh... crack, the easiest way to diet. :p

It does. That's why body fat loss slows down as we get to lower body fat levels, but going into ketosis drastically drops leptin levels. Refeeds keep leptin levels higher. If you can keep leptin levels higher why go into ketosis? If it's actually leptin that signals for fat loss, then why would you intentionally bottom out your leptin levels? Why would you have to do more refeeds or longer refeeds, and thus more calories, if you don't have to?

Paul Stagg
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Feeling bad in ketosis varies by person. I've experienced both feeling great and feeling horrible, and I couldn't figure out what was different.

k_nine110
03-03-2008, 06:27 PM

The protein really isnt that much of a deal as much as the carbs. Trying to eyeball 30 or 60 grams of carbs in brown rice or sweet potatoes can be a hassle. As far as ketosis........I dont personally dig that method at all however thats basically what Dave Palumbo recommends for his clients. Evan Centopani used that method and just won his pro card at nationals. Different methods for different folks I suppose is what it all boils down to.

Slim Schaedle
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Ahhh, ketosis.

Such a wonderful thing.

I once stopped at a four-way (blinking red light) stop late at night.

I sat there for about 5 minutes waiting for the light to turn green.

PS: I weigh my food

Built
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Why would you have to do more refeeds or longer refeeds, and thus more calories, if you don't have to?

I do it this way for the same reason you don't do it this way: I find it comfortable. On carbs, NOTHING suppresses my appetite, even eating 500 calories over MAINTENANCE doesn't satisfy me. Off carbs, I can eat at just over half of maintenance and feel fine. I'm better with "very low calories/carbs, and refeeds" than "modest deficit, ample carbs and no refeeds".

I mean, either works if you can stick to it. A deficit is a deficit, and if protein is there and your training isn't crap, you'll do fine.

I wonder why you (and some others) feel so strange in ketosis. It is so odd to think that something that is such a comfort for one can be such a nightmare for another.

Paul Stagg
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Ahhh, ketosis.

Such a wonderful thing.

I once stopped at a four-way (blinking red light) stop late at night.

I sat there for about 5 minutes waiting for the light to turn green.

I got lost in a grocery store (the one I always use). All I needed were pork rinds, kelbasa, and mayo.

I wonder why you (and some others) feel so strange in ketosis. It is so odd to think that something that is such a comfort for one can be such a nightmare for another.

I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know what it is. Like I said, I felt both ways.

Slim Schaedle
03-03-2008, 09:40 PM
I got lost in a grocery store (the one I always use). All I needed were pork rinds, kelbasa, and mayo.

hahahaha

I went to brush my teeth, and held my mach 3 razor up to my mouth.

We should have an entire thread about ketosis stories.

Keith
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
hahahaha

I went to brush my teeth, and held my mach 3 razor up to my mouth.

We should have an entire thread about ketosis stories.

Haha, never knew it was THAT bad.

DirtyRobot
03-11-2008, 02:42 PM

Yeah, I wonder about this stuff all the time. I personally lose all energy and get a total brain fog when I enter ketosis, even eating above maintenance.

This article is neat, though:

Applied Nutrgenomics! (http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/applied_nutrigenomics&cr=)

eric1214
03-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Just wanted to say that you can find little food scales at The Dollar Tree!

HighSchoolGuy
03-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Who needs a food scale? Shove everything into a cup, when it reaches the top, you have 250g right there.

method115
03-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Just wanted to say that you can find little food scales at The Dollar Tree!

awesome thanks I didn't know that I've been looking for a cheap one for ever.

Altephor
03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I usually just eyeball. For instance, a box of spaghetti has 8 servings, 4 oz each. So, 1/8 of the box is 4 oz.

Slim Schaedle
03-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Who needs a food scale? Shove everything into a cup, when it reaches the top, you have 250g right there.

.....since every food weighs the same per unit volume.....

dividend
03-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow they sell food scales at the dollar store? I have never seen one there. Guess it's time to hit the dollar store.

Notorious
03-13-2008, 05:58 PM

Weight and volume are two completely different things unless we're talking about water...

eric1214
03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow they sell food scales at the dollar store? I have never seen one there. Guess it's time to hit the dollar store.

Well the one here in the Bay Area in Cali did.
Its hard to predict what kind of treasures they will have....

The scale isn't the most accurate thing, but for $1 it can't be beat!